Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Best Wireless Cable/DSL Router for NTL broadband

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Best Wireless Cable/DSL Router for NTL broadband

Old 08-03-2006, 23:27   #1
mehayuk
Inactive

mehayuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up The Best Wireless Cable/DSL Router for NTL broadband

I've done some thorough research on wireless cable/DSL routers for NTL broadband and would like to share this with you to help avoid you having the headache I had. Her goes:

RECOMMENDATIONS
  1. Netgear WGR614 UK - the latest one i think is version 5 or 6; you'll know because a) it looks like an ipod in design (white as opposed to metallic cheap plastic silver, white antenna not black) b) it has double firewall protection and c) enables WPA-PSK encryption. This is the one I eventually opted for. Looks cool and you can even stand it up to save space.
  2. Belkin F5D7230 UK - another great contender. Provides single firewall protection but also has WPA-PSK and has 2 antenna (but I dont think that necessarily means you get better coverage than the Netgear. A bit plastic in design but a good performer.
  3. LinkSys WRT54G - a nice looking chunky little number that has good security. Single firewall with WPA-SPK but also enables MAC copying so you dont have to re-register your new router with NTL over the old one (although it isn't really that difficult to renew the registration)
  4. D-Link DI624+ - the plus bit is important. Again, a nice looking box which has all the usual perks. Single firewall and again it enables MAC copying. The only little snag is that it doesnt have WPA-PSK encryption; instead, it provides the standard WEP facility available with almost all routers these days.
ONE TO WATCH OUT FOR
You might want to consider a router which also provides something called QOS (quality of service) for the likely widespread of Voice over Internet telePhony (VoiP) in the future.
  • Draytek Vigor do a few of these. Expect to pay more (around £80-100 as opposed to £50)
  • One to watch out for: Netgear WGR613V wireless router with phone adapter. Not out just yet, but you can pre-order one from expansys.co.uk
A NOTE ON ACTIONTEC ROUTERS
NTL have linked up with Actiontec - a cable/DSL router which is meant to work pretty seemlessly with NTL broadband. In just under 18 months, I have had to replace this box twice and it's just done it again. Problems I've had with it include numerous hangups despite changing the channel number leading to the irritating job of reseting the pace, ip addresses and the router box. My personal view is that it's an ugly box which performs badly and is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE (£99). Extremely high spec routers cost just over the £100 mark yet in my opinion the Actiontec is one below par. The routers I mention above are above average good performers which cost half this price.

I hope this helps many of you. Please feel free to agree/disagree/voice any other opinions/concerns.

Ram
mehayuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2006, 17:21   #2
Ricardonando
Inactive

Ricardonando is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: The Best Wireless Cable/DSL Router for NTL broadband

Hi I use NTL broadband so I found this useful, but which router would you recomend buying to go along with a wireless bridge for my PS2? I've read that some routers are not compatible with some wireless bridges so I don't want to buy the wrong type!
Ricardonando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 17:29   #3
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
Re: The Best Wireless Cable/DSL Router for NTL broadband

avoid anything made by Belkin.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 17:36   #4
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: The Best Wireless Cable/DSL Router for NTL broadband

Quote:
Originally Posted by etccarmageddon
avoid anything made by Belkin.
Like the Plague, my Router likes to block anything on Port 80 in either direction, get's fixed by a reset but comes back half an hour later. Only fix I've found is to specify proxies.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 20:02   #5
Ricardonando
Inactive

Ricardonando is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: The Best Wireless Cable/DSL Router for NTL broadband

I've decided to get the Linksys WRT54GS with speed booster for my desktop BUT I've read that the increased speed of 125Mbps only occurs when the router is used with a speed booster PCI card/USB adaptor, yet on many websites they claim the adaptors only allow speeds of up to 54Mbps.
What's going on here? Is the speed booster just a gimmick?
Ricardonando is offline   Reply With Quote