Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksy reviews please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linksy reviews please

Old 08-02-2006, 09:22   #1
akane1984
Inactive

akane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about them
Linksy reviews please

http://www.inmac.co.uk/catalogue/item/LKSWL035

Never owned a linksy before have had belkin and netgear both very dissapointing. . belkin didnt support xbox live and netgear just didnt work well, can anyone who has this router please give me review of it. important things r i need it to be compatible with xboxlive and have good strong wireless features. netgear would always drop out wireless.
akane1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2006, 09:26   #2
Jon M
Inactive

Services: Rural BB - Radio Link via Virgin Fibre
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to Jon M
Re: Linksy reviews please

http://www.google.com/search?q=WRT54GS+review
Jon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:31   #3
akane1984
Inactive

akane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about themakane1984 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon M
thanks, checked few reviews didnt seem favourable i currently have WGT634U from netgear and nearly every day ISP and wireless connection drop. ive read everywhere this router is very troublesome! so need to get away from it.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:33   #4
xathras

Services: Family Pack Digital TV with PremiershipPlus Season Ticket. 10Mb Broadband Talk 24 Unlimited Teleph

I had a Broadband Wireless B router v4 from Linksys and it was rubbish, i had to continously reset the router as my connection would drop off. The interface was nice though

I have now replaced this with a Dlink 614+ and I am more that happy with it, never get them problems anymore, the interface is nice and is pretty advance for a cheap SOHO solution
Old 08-02-2006, 09:37   #5
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Have a linksys wireless b that has done 1 year on ntl and 2 on adsl so far with no problems. Nice interface good security, excellent range.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:37   #6
akane1984
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xathras
I had a Broadband Wireless B router v4 from Linksys and it was rubbish, i had to continously reset the router as my connection would drop off. The interface was nice though

I have now replaced this with a Dlink 614+ and I am more that happy with it, never get them problems anymore, the interface is nice and is pretty advance for a cheap SOHO solution
i was lookin at the Dlink 624 as well. . see old belkin had great connection to wireless but rubbish support for xboxlive, new netgear supports xboxlive but connection to wireless and isp continously drops and has to be reset like your linksys.

need a damn router that works well with both lol
Old 08-02-2006, 10:04   #7
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

I've got the WRTG54 wirless router (forerunner to the one you're considering). I've had it for a few years now, running on ntl. Moved last month and got ADSL, so added the matching Linksys ethernet ADSL2 modem.

The box was simple to set up...although like most routers no security is enabled out of the box, so you'll want to switch that on pretty quickly after installing!

Worked perfectly well, never a problem with connection (and I used to live in a really old house with solid wattle and daub walls that removed all mobile signals!) and I could still use it in the garden.

The modem is good, but there's a little documented 'problem' with the modem and router as a combination. Easily overcome if you do a bit of googling and like the router - works perfectly.

No hesitation in recommending Linksys routers to you.

EDIT: It's a couple of quid cheaper at Amazon and free delivery too http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...246322-3270810
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:05   #8
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

I use a WRT54G (the predecessor to the WRT54GS) with no problems at all. Depending on the version of the router you get (determined by the serial number) it is also possible to load 3rd part firmwares onto it and achieve a lot more.

Very stable piece of kit I can highly recommend.
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:46   #9
akane1984
Inactive

well its gotta be better than this Netgear wgt634u i ve got, since getting it thursday past ive had it crash DHCP. freeze, crash ISp and drop wireless connection . . . utter rubbish. cant go back to old belkin cause it doesnt support xboxlive so left with either DLink or Linksys. . . .
Old 09-02-2006, 09:14   #10
andybarker
Inactive

andybarker is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone interested in Linksys hardware should take a look at www.linksysinfo.org - lots of detailed info all in one place.
andybarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:45   #11
akane1984
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybarker
Anyone interested in Linksys hardware should take a look at www.linksysinfo.org - lots of detailed info all in one place.
cheers, thanks, just note if anyone could tell me what is the performance like for Linksys on wireless end, is it best to buy the linksys usb2.0 adaptor to go with?
Old 09-02-2006, 10:15   #12
lordy
Inactive

lordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygrif

No hesitation in recommending Linksys routers to you.

EDIT: It's a couple of quid cheaper at Amazon and free delivery too http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...246322-3270810
Ditto. Also for another 90p you can PCWorld Collect@Store.

Lordy
lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 14:03   #13
akane1984
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybarker
ok so if i goto currys lookin one will it say on box what version it is?? as reading that some versions are better than others.
Old 09-02-2006, 19:22   #14
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

That depends what you want to do with it. The original WRT54G (and WRT54GS) were based on a Linux firmware which was GPL'd and then had the source code released. The newer ones were rebased onto a newer platform to allow Linksys to reduce production costs.

If you want to use the third party firmwares then you'll need an older version of the router. If you are happy to run the Linksys firmware then there's no need to worry. If you have trouble finding an older version, check out E-Bay or look for the WRT54GL (the WRT54G with the original Linux based firmware - although Linksys now charge a slight premium for this) although I've just seen something saying they've discontinued it already

For more information on what some of the third part firmwares can do and the hardware versions have a look at LinkSysInfo (link above) and the DD-WRT WIKI (OK, I'm biased because I use that firmware ) at http://wrt-wiki.bsr-clan.de/index.ph..._Docu_%28EN%29
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 22:22   #15
lordy
Inactive

lordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by akane1984
ok so if i goto currys lookin one will it say on box what version it is?? as reading that some versions are better than others.
Here's a useful link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54GS
Dont forget if you go PC World you can get Collect@Store Price.

Though it looks like Currys was selling it online + WUSB54GS free!! Sold out now though.

I think (not sure) you are more likely to find v4 GS than a v4 G (dur to a stagger in v5 release dates)

Forgot to mention the version is on the box. On/near the barcode IIRC (Box is in the loft at the mo!)
Lordy
lordy is offline   Reply With Quote