Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Asus RT-N56U hard drive networked as FTP

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Asus RT-N56U hard drive networked as FTP

Old 07-09-2014, 19:56   #1
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts
Asus RT-N56U hard drive networked as FTP

I could do with some help please.

I don't know the first clue about networking so here goes.

I have the Asus RT-N56U router and I hooked up an HD via the USB ports and managed to setup the network and permissions for the folders.

via the routers own internal software

I was also able to access the HD from my phone. now the problem is I wanted to give someone access from the outside.

I tried to move a file from the HD to my desktop and all it was doing was creating a shortcut to the file on the HD and double clicking the short cut just loaded up the file "film for example" in windows player and played it from that.

So I tried to send a file to the HD a JPEG for example and it wont send it all it does is load the picture in windows.

I have setup the permission correctly R/W so I dont really understand how it works.

Would appreciate some advice from those that have managed to do this through the same or similar router?

---------- Post added at 19:56 ---------- Previous post was at 19:54 ----------

Just to add I understand how to run an FTP have done in the past but didn't want to have my laptop on 24/7 running it so I liked the idea of the router allowing the HD to be attached to it and having it accessed that way.
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2014, 20:22   #2
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Asus RT-N56U hard drive networked as FTP

I have a RT-N66U with an external HD attached to a USB port. On the router setup webpage there is a section down the left hand side labelled "USB application". There is an application called "AiDisk", which is to "Share files in the USB disk through the Internet.". That sounds like what you might be looking for.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 20:27   #3
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

Thanks I used that to set the drive up and while it lets you access the drive it won't let me send things too it or anything taken from the drive is just a short cut link to what's on the drive.
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 20:46   #4
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Might be an idea to do a Google search and/or look on the ASUS support forum. As with many tech issues, it is very likely that other people have had the same problems.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote