Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 5GHz Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

5GHz Router

Old 18-02-2012, 21:44   #1
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age
5GHz Router

Im looking for a 5GHz wireless router to use with my Infinity connection. The reason being is all 2.4GHz channels perform very poorly these days, either i get very poor speed but good signal, or great speed but need to be very close to the router.

I noticed that 5GHz channels perform much better (as tested with the VM Superhub)

So anyone got any recommendations of routers you can specifically put into 5GHz mode that are not so expensive?

I've seen the netgear n750 and linksys e4200 but they are above £100 which i dont have at the moment...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-02-2012, 22:13   #2
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Re: 5GHz Router

Be aware that you have to get a NIC that's 5GHz compatible.

I have a Netgear DGND3700 but that's over £100.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/1006...ireless-n.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005LNHNL...SIN=B005LNHNL0
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 22:21   #3
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

By NIC do you mean network card? my laptop and computer are all 5GHz compatible as i've tested them with the superhub.

So this Netgear N600 looks good, im guessing i can set up 2 SSIDs one in 2.4GHz and one in 5GHz for different devices that dont support (such as iphone 4 2.4GHz only)
Old 18-02-2012, 22:30   #4
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Yes, NIC = Network Interface Card.

I can set up 2 SSIDs on my DGND3700, not sure about the N600 but I would think so.
Old 18-02-2012, 22:40   #5
Zee
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
Yes, NIC = Network Interface Card.

I can set up 2 SSIDs on my DGND3700, not sure about the N600 but I would think so.
Thanks.

Does anyone else know if 2 SSIDs can be set up with the N600? and does anyone have any feedback on it if used?
Old 18-02-2012, 22:42   #6
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Full spec here:

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/produc.../WNDR3800.aspx
Old 18-02-2012, 22:47   #7
Zee
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
Thanks, it looks like what im looking for.
Old 18-02-2012, 23:06   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

The WNDR3700 does all the same and is cheaper, and has better DD-WRT/OpenWRT compatibility. Though those are simultaneous dual-band.

If you've already got a Superhub and are happy with it I don't see why you want to buy something else?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 23:10   #9
Zee
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
The WNDR3700 does all the same and is cheaper, and has better DD-WRT/OpenWRT compatibility. Though those are simultaneous dual-band.

If you've already got a Superhub and are happy with it I don't see why you want to buy something else?
Because i have BT Infinity now and my VM contract is coming to an end soon and going to cancel it.

The HH3 is not very good because all the 2.4GHz channels perform poorly in my area.
Old 18-02-2012, 23:59   #10
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Which brings me back to

Quote:
Old 19-02-2012, 00:14   #11
Zee
Inactive

Quote:
Which brings me back to
So you mean you can use the Superhub on Infinity?
Old 19-02-2012, 00:28   #12
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

The wireless on it doesn't care what you're connected to, since it can't even tell.
Old 19-02-2012, 00:31   #13
Zee
Inactive

Quote:
The wireless on it doesn't care what you're connected to, since it can't even tell.
But im guessing once contract is finished they will request the hub back?
Old 19-02-2012, 00:50   #14
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

They usually don't, or haven't so far. Some VM staff say they should be but in practice its still not happening very often.