Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Delay receiving text messages.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Delay receiving text messages.

Old 22-10-2011, 22:24   #1
Buzzman
Inactive

Services: VIP 50 with TIVO
Buzzman is an unknown quantity at this point
Delay receiving text messages.

I wonder if anyone can help me. I am with Virgin Mobile and have a HTC Desire S. Recently I have been receiving text messages only hours after they have been sent. I can see when they have been sent, but sometimes only get them the next day. This is obviously a major inconvenience.

Does anyone know if this is likely to be a network issue (I have been with Virgin for years and never seen this problem before) or a phone issue.

I have rebooted my phone, taken the battery out and reset to default. All with no result. Sending texts still seems to work perfectly.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-10-2011, 23:16   #2
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Delay receiving text messages.

I have had this with my Desire S (T-Mobile), but with g-mail.

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 23:17   #3
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

There is no Quality of Service with texts - they go into a queue, and get sent out.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 23:28   #4
Buzzman
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
There is no Quality of Service with texts - they go into a queue, and get sent out.
Thanks for your reply Hugh, but why, after so many years of text messages arriving promptly, I can no longer rely on the service? It's only in the last month that this has been happening. And it seems to be any time of day or night and affects 95% of texts received.
Old 22-10-2011, 23:50   #5
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Are you sure it was text messages and not MMS?

For ages now I've often had long delays with MMS messages. And then often receive them multiple times.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 00:04   #6
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

I have really poor signal quality with the same handset, with o2. It seems to be a common problem with any network - a google search suggests

---------- Post added at 00:04 ---------- Previous post was at 00:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
Thanks for your reply Hugh, but why, after so many years of text messages arriving promptly, I can no longer rely on the service? It's only in the last month that this has been happening. And it seems to be any time of day or night and affects 95% of texts received.
I feel your pain trying to run a business using the same handset. Not sure what the answer is other than changing it which is not an option for me at this time (note I never had this problem with my iPhone)
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 00:08   #7
Buzzman
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
Are you sure it was text messages and not MMS?

For ages now I've often had long delays with MMS messages. And then often receive them multiple times.
Definitely SMS and I have always and still have very good signal at home.
Old 23-10-2011, 12:01   #8
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Is it all SMS or from Just one person / network?
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 14:35   #9
Buzzman
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Is it all SMS or from Just one person / network?
Various senders from within the UK and without.
Old 23-10-2011, 14:58   #10
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

How long have you had the sim card? As you may need a sim swap?
Old 23-10-2011, 15:42   #11
Buzzman
Inactive

Quote:
How long have you had the sim card? As you may need a sim swap?
Many years. I'll give them a call in the morning. Thanks for your reply.
Old 23-10-2011, 16:18   #12
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

Quote:
Many years. I'll give them a call in the morning. Thanks for your reply.
When you received your new handset did you get a new sim card with it? As if you did you may just need to call to get the new sim activated (but you would need to make sure all your contacts etc are copied to the handset. As they would be lost if a new sim is activated to the number.)
Old 23-10-2011, 16:30   #13
Buzzman
Inactive

Quote:
When you received your new handset did you get a new sim card with it? As if you did you may just need to call to get the new sim activated (but you would need to make sure all your contacts etc are copied to the handset. As they would be lost if a new sim is activated to the number.)
No sim with the phone. Just put this one in which I've had for years. I've had this phone for a few months now and no problems before. Only started this nonsense about 4 weeks ago, but I thought maybe it would just be a temporary problem, but now it has caused a major inconvenience to me, hence me trying to find a solution.
Old 23-10-2011, 16:33   #14
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

Quote:
No sim with the phone. Just put this one in which I've had for years. I've had this phone for a few months now and no problems before. Only started this nonsense about 4 weeks ago, but I thought maybe it would just be a temporary problem, but now it has caused a major inconvenience to me, hence me trying to find a solution.
You have tried some of the basic fault finds. Have you tried you sim in another handset and if you can try some one else's sim in yours and see if that works. If not I would suggest a sim swap?
Old 23-10-2011, 16:47   #15
Buzzman
Inactive

Quote:
You have tried some of the basic fault finds. Have you tried you sim in another handset and if you can try some one else's sim in yours and see if that works. If not I would suggest a sim swap?
Unfortunately I don't have access to another Virgin (or unlocked) phone or sim or I would have tried this. Thanks for your help and I will post back when/if I get to the bottom of this.