Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM Router Advice ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

VM Router Advice ?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:16   #1
robinhood1701
Inactive

robinhood1701 is an unknown quantity at this point
VM Router Advice ?

Am looking to upgrade my home wifi, have a basic Netgear 54g Router supplied by VM, fed by a VM cable modem, have been looking at the Linksys E3200 & E4200, for the speed and USB connection, but reading comments in places, am not sure,
Anyone recommend these ? or anything that works well on VM pls ?
robinhood1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2011, 13:14   #2
Wayfair
Inactive

Services: Virgin tinterweb, Tivo with an extra large package 'oh yes' and a speaky thing...
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array
Re: VM Router Advice ?

I am in the market looking for something a bit tasty as well..

I think I will go for this one, for no other reason reason than it looks good and seems to do everything real well, unless someone has a better idea..

THIS ONE!!

The reviews I have seen are not bad either..
Wayfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 14:51   #3
robinhood1701
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfair View Post
I am in the market looking for something a bit tasty as well..

I think I will go for this one, for no other reason reason than it looks good and seems to do everything real well, unless someone has a better idea..

THIS ONE!!

The reviews I have seen are not bad either..
Bad Link? Doesn't work on my iPhone4

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:43 ----------

You Mean -

THIS ONE !!!

(Edited on Laptop)

But have you read this review about it -

http://www.trustedreviews.com/Netgea...ipheral_review

Doesn't have the USB connection am looking for,...
Old 11-10-2011, 15:49   #4
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

I'd advise you to hold out a little while longer for the TP-Link WR2843ND. Don't get confused with the TL-WR2543ND though. WR2843ND can operate simultaneous bands, TL-WR2543ND cannot.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87...b-routers.html
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 15:53   #5
robinhood1701
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
I'd advise you to hold out a little while longer for the TP-Link WR2843ND. Don't get confused with the TL-WR2543ND though. WR2843ND can operate simultaneous bands, TL-WR2543ND cannot.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87...b-routers.html
Sorry, ?
Don't understand ?
Old 11-10-2011, 15:59   #6
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

The TL-WR2843ND can operate simultaneous 2.4 GHz network and 5 GHz network.

The TL-WR2543ND cannot, you can only have 1 band running not both at the same time.
Old 11-10-2011, 17:03   #7
robinhood1701
Inactive

Quote:
The TL-WR2843ND can operate simultaneous 2.4 GHz network and 5 GHz network.

The TL-WR2543ND cannot, you can only have 1 band running not both at the same time.
Oh, i see, sorry,
Yeah, looks very good, think i will wait, how easy are they to set up ?
Bit of a novice,
Should be cheaper than a Linksys, and you can fit bigger aerials
TP-Link TL-ANT2408CL 2.4GHz 8dbi Indoor Omni-Directional Antenna

Have left word at broadbandbuyer for a stock alert, but the TL-WR2843ND is not mentioned at TP Link, any ideas ?
Old 11-10-2011, 17:13   #8
thenry
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood1701 View Post
Oh, i see, sorry,
Yeah, looks very good, think i will wait, how easy are they to set up ?
Bit of a novice,
Should be cheaper than a Linksys, and you can fit bigger aerials
TP-Link TL-ANT2408CL 2.4GHz 8dbi Indoor Omni-Directional Antenna

Have left word at broadbandbuyer for a stock alert, but the TL-WR2843ND is not mentioned at TP Link, any ideas ?
its pretty straight forward set up wise. they include a CD which most if not all router manufactures give although I don't bother with them. just access the routers web interface, set up and your up and running.

the router itself will have tall antennas, i doubt you'll need to change them but if you do then hold out until their new range is released.

as for release date. i don't know about the TL-WR2843ND, TP Link didn't respond to that question but they did say the TL-WR2543ND will be available to buy by the end of this month.

cost wise its an investment your unlikely to regret.

like you i've been looking for a router. i had to end my marriage with Belkin, it really started to irritate me. Mike Fisher on here advised me to get a TP-Link, now i'm waiting for the TL-WR2843ND to be released
Old 11-10-2011, 19:02   #9
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

As I was not bothered about 5ghz I finished up buying on of these.

I have to admit to having not installed it as yet so cannot comment on it's performance other than having seen mostly good reports.

It has 2 USB ports and will take a tomato firmware upgrade.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 19:43   #10
robinhood1701
Inactive

Quote:
its pretty straight forward set up wise. they include a CD which most if not all router manufactures give although I don't bother with them. just access the routers web interface, set up and your up and running.

the router itself will have tall antennas, i doubt you'll need to change them but if you do then hold out until their new range is released.

as for release date. i don't know about the TL-WR2843ND, TP Link didn't respond to that question but they did say the TL-WR2543ND will be available to buy by the end of this month.

cost wise its an investment your unlikely to regret.

like you i've been looking for a router. i had to end my marriage with Belkin, it really started to irritate me. Mike Fisher on here advised me to get a TP-Link, now i'm waiting for the TL-WR2843ND to be released
Thanks for your help, think that makes at least two of us awaiting a TL-WR2843ND

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post

I have to admit to having not installed it as yet so cannot comment on it's performance other than having seen mostly good reports.

Thanks Mick, two USB ports would be handy, just started looking at routers this week, have noticed this tomato firmware, what is it ?
Old 11-10-2011, 22:32   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:

Course you could always plug a hub in and end up with 8 or more.

Anyhow the Asus is a pretty decent router. Good choice.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:42   #12
robinhood1701
Inactive

What I cannot work out about the WR2843ND, is that Znet new about it last january -*http://m.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/zdnet-uk-...uter-10021514/
TP Link have posted a vid on YouTube, but there is nothing on their site ?
Old 12-10-2011, 13:15   #13
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood1701 View Post
Thanks Mick, two USB ports would be handy, just started looking at routers this week, have noticed this tomato firmware, what is it ?
Tomato Firmware
Old 12-10-2011, 14:39   #14
robinhood1701
Inactive

Quote:
Thanks Mick, just one more question, if you don't mind, have been looking at the Linksys E4200 which has internal aerials, or one that has external aerials, do external aerials give you any benefit over internal aerials, or does it just depend on the unit itself ?
Old 12-10-2011, 17:29   #15
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Personally I have used a Be Box with external aerials and a linksys wrt54G2 with internal aerials. Both performed without issue "out of the box".

And then we come to the Superhub, a device with internal aerials that, for me, fails in all modes except 2.4ghz+145mbps+with a carefully chosen manually set channel.

So it doesn't seem to be cut and dried.

My personal preferance is for a device with external aerials. As external aerials can be directionalised and also allow the possibility to substitute a booster device, for an aerial, to enhance wireless coverage if needed.