Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 5Ghz Networks

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

5Ghz Networks

Old 14-04-2009, 11:08   #1
Bennylaball
Inactive

Services: BWI (Bennylaball Wireless Internet), Freesat Humax thingy
Bennylaball is on a distinguished roadBennylaball is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Bennylaball
5Ghz Networks

I am looking for a decent 802.11a access point/client unit but not one with b/g support as it is going to be for a backhaul on my network, i have setup plenty of 2.4Ghz networks but i need some extra range on this one as it will be over 10 miles unless someone can point me in a better direction.
Bennylaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-04-2009, 11:33   #2
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Re: 5Ghz Networks

Do you have any expectations of access speed?
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 11:38   #3
Bennylaball
Inactive

well i only need to have about 2meg throughput.
Old 14-04-2009, 12:00   #4
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quick, back of fag packet calculation with LOS between the sites and a 22dbi panel antenna at each end* fed with 5m cable of you should be good for about 11 miles at 6mbps.

Don't forget your licence

*Based on the bridge's power output & gain factors staying with in legal limits
Old 14-04-2009, 12:09   #5
Bennylaball
Inactive

Can you recomend a make/model because a google at it finds loads of a/b/g stuff i just need a 5Ghz only! argh google
Old 14-04-2009, 12:24   #6
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

No probs:

http://www.wirelesspro.co.uk/product...ps_throughput/
Old 14-04-2009, 12:26   #7
Bennylaball
Inactive

I wish i could afford such luxuries do you know anything in the lower price bracket, as im trying to get a few customers in the new area im moving into to see if its viable to purchase better equipment? i looked into buffalo as i find there kit is unbreakable but found nothing in the 5ghz stuff.
Old 14-04-2009, 12:36   #8
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

OK this Net-El one is a far cheaper alternative and seems to be a common offering around the lower price points but I have no idea as to the efficiency or robustness of this kit. It's a dual band bridge: 2.4GHz and 5GHz Band B/C

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-ou...-noc-8610.html
Old 14-04-2009, 12:56   #9
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

iv no idea if this will get the longer range, id rather go for 22DBI highly direction dish types but something like this panel with intigrated wireless to save on the cable loss perhaps...

http://www.mikrotik-store.eu/product...2f907fd91ae7f8

MikroTik RIC 522T 5GHz intgrated router
203,00 EUR
excl. 19 % Tax excl. Shipping costs

MikroTik RIC 522T

5Ghz integrated antenna with fast RB/333 is ideal for powerful 5Ghz Backbone (Point-to-Point link). Also, it can be used for CPE (client premise equipment) on 5Ghz Point-to-Multipoint networks.

• Integrated antenna with RouterBOARD 333
  • RouterOS Level 4
  • 802.11 a+b+g 65mW Wireless miniPCI card
  • 18v power supply + PoE Injector

---------- Post added at 12:56 ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
Quick, back of fag packet calculation with LOS between the sites and a 22dbi panel antenna at each end* fed with 5m cable of you should be good for about 11 miles at 6mbps.

Don't forget your licence

*Based on the bridge's power output & gain factors staying with in legal limits
the 5Ghz doesnt need a licence, you can get long range with unlicenced open kit too, with the right directional high gain arials over line of sight for point to point and point to multipoint setups....

oc your going to get a lot better coverage with 2.4Ghz 11N if you use highly directional line of site, assuming if you dont have a lot of 2.4Ghz between sites...

the spec of that Motorola PtP 400 lite Bridge Kit Includes:
2 x Motorola PtP 400 lite Units
2 x Mounting Brackets
Price: £3,456.00 (£3,974.40 inc. V.A.T.) kit is a little OTT today for 22Mbps it seems, you could get a microwave 1gigE radio for that...
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 13:04   #10
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
the 5Ghz doesnt need a licence, you can get long range with unlicenced open kit too, with the right directional high gain arials over line of sight for point to point and point to multipoint setups....
Operation in bands a and b are licence free but don't forget that the maximum permitted eirp is significantly lower than that of the licensed band c and you would technically be breaking the law if the gain of the antenna you were using caused you to exceed these limits.

That's just the official line of course...
Old 14-04-2009, 13:19   #11
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

true, but you are allowed to use as high a power / by DB gain so as to cancel out any pigtail connector loss and cable loss you might get in the total output calcs, it takes a little more thought but doable to keep it totally UK legal.
Old 14-04-2009, 13:29   #12
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

There's a useful-ish calculator on here which provides a rough idea. You have to play around with the figures to suit the UK regs though.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps5279/

I have a slightly more involved tool here but it most certainly isn't in the public domain
Old 14-04-2009, 13:42   #13
popper
Inactive

i cant find the page now , but i seem to remember that all UK external unlicenced Point to point wireless kit gets a higher total DB gain/power allowance rating than your average internal consumer wifi kit, for some reason upto 200mW seems to stick in my mind, but cant find the page to verify Doh!

Uncle Peter, are you a radio Ham or Pro radio guy playing with your interesting wireless toys
Old 14-04-2009, 13:58   #14
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

http://www2.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/...s/rlans/5_6wbd

IR2006 for bands A and B

IR2007 for band C

@popper - lapsed radio ham and occasional involvement with RF type things on a professional level.
Old 14-04-2009, 14:12   #15
Bennylaball
Inactive

Thanks for the input the item from solwise seems to be good, like i said its just to try and get some usomers in a new area my main links are usually SAF 7.5Ghz they are amazing and i get nearly 100meg throughput on those!