Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Gigabit Switches

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Gigabit Switches

Old 06-12-2008, 12:52   #1
CHiLL
cf.geek

Services: Sky+ TV and Virgin Media 10MB Internet.
CHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of light
Gigabit Switches

If I bought a gigabit switch, what speeds would I be able to transfer files across my network?

I have 2 laptops (wireless - 54mp/s and wired gigabit) and 2 computers, which have gigbit network cards.

The computers are upstairs, connected to a 10/100 switch, which connects wired to the router downstairs.

Providing I bought gigabit network cables, what speeds am I looking at transferring files between the two computers upstairs using the switch?

Hope that made sense.
CHiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2008, 13:08   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Gigabit Switches

For best results everything needs to be passed directly through the gigabit switch so that is the junction box to your network:

router <> switch
computer #1 <> switch
computer #2 <> switch

and so on.

Anything connected via the router would be limited to the 10/100 speed ports of the router or the 54mpbs of the wireless via the router.

With the above layout, effectively replacing the 10/100 switch with the gigabit switch you'd get the faster speeds between the upstairs computers only.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 13:14   #3
CHiLL
cf.geek

CHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, unless I connected the laptops directly hard wired the laptops into the switch.

When I transfer on my 10/100 switch, using 100mb/s cables and gigabit network cards, Vista shows I transfer at 10-11mb/s. How come it's so slow? And is there a way of making it faster? Also, what MB/s speeds would I be looking at on a gigabit network?
Old 06-12-2008, 13:24   #4
cnewton2k
Inactive

Services: 100 Meg + Phone
cnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to cnewton2k

I have got a Gigabit router and when i transfer files from my Diskstaion to my PC by FTP its maxes at around 7 MB/sec
cnewton2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 13:38   #5
CHiLL
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solventcandy View Post
I have got a Gigabit router and when i transfer files from my Diskstaion to my PC by FTP its maxes at around 7 MB/sec
Have you got gigabit network cables and network cards though?

Because I get 10/11MB on my 100MB network.
Old 06-12-2008, 13:42   #6
cnewton2k
Inactive

cnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah i think so

When i check the Status in the networking centre it is connected at 1Gbps
Old 06-12-2008, 19:18   #7
caph
cf.geek

caph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to allcaph is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill View Post
When I transfer on my 10/100 switch, using 100mb/s cables and gigabit network cards, Vista shows I transfer at 10-11mb/s How come it's so slow?
You're not confusing MByte/sec with MBit/sec are you? Your switch is 100Mbit/sec, IE in Vista shows file download speeds in MByte/sec. 10MByte/sec is about spot on for a 100MBit connection.
caph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 21:10   #8
CHiLL
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by caph View Post
You're not confusing MByte/sec with MBit/sec are you? Your switch is 100Mbit/sec, IE in Vista shows file download speeds in MByte/sec. 10MByte/sec is about spot on for a 100MBit connection.
Yeah, I probably am getting them confused. Always have. -_-

How long would it take to transfer a 700mb AVI film over a gigabit LAN, as opposed to the 3-4 mins it takes on a 10/100 LAN?
Old 06-12-2008, 21:49   #9
cnewton2k
Inactive

About 1min 5sec at 10Mb/sec
Old 07-12-2008, 10:32   #10
CHiLL
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solventcandy View Post
About 1min 5sec at 10Mb/sec
Is it worth the extra £25 quid for a basic D-Link gigabit switch, and the extra couple of quid for the cables?
Old 07-12-2008, 11:23   #11
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

I'm curious what mileage other people get out of their gigabit switches. So far I've only ever got slightly higher than 100mb. I'm probably hitting the hard disk speed limit.
downquark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 18:27   #12
cnewton2k
Inactive

Well i am now a bit confused!!

Does anyone know if it is running at the correct speed ? or is mine slow??

Cheers
Old 08-12-2008, 03:01   #13
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Gigabit's speed (theoretical maximum) is about 118 Megabytes per second with ideal conditions. If you're just doing a copy + paste in Explorer, ditch that idea and use a proper copy tool like TeraCopy.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:02   #14
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
I'm curious what mileage other people get out of their gigabit switches. So far I've only ever got slightly higher than 100mb. I'm probably hitting the hard disk speed limit.
Hit about 18MB/s over LAN.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:08   #15
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druchii View Post
Hit about 18MB/s over LAN.
Similar to mine though I do get faster speeds between certain machines, I'm guessing its a driver/hardware combination thing. My two HP Evos can do about 30MB/s between each other yet my laptop and my other machine (Both with Gig NICs) only achieve between 16MB/s - 20MB/s to any of the other machines including the Evos.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote