Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Noob home network questions

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Noob home network questions

Old 11-11-2008, 14:55   #1
theDUFF
Inactive

theDUFF is an unknown quantity at this point
Noob home network questions

All,

I am looking for some advice on cabling installing a data/video network in my flat. I am a complete noob at this and I’m not even sure if this is the right place to post .

It’s a two bed flat on which, at rather short notice, I am having some building work done. Among other things the flat is being rewired. This looks like the perfect opportunity to install the cabled network have always wanted.

I also like some scope to upgrade it in the future so I’m thinking of putting in some redundant features now, for use later. Unfortunately keeping costs down is important as I am low on cash due to the ongoing works. Alas I cannot afford an all singing structured cabling solution at the moment.

I’m mainly interested in getting a data network in place. It would be nice to have some video/audio/telephone distribution but I’m NOT likely to be interested in things like controlling light switches and air con or having a wall mounted touch screen TV to open my curtains. It would be fun, but I just don’t have the money.

So the plan is to install a future proof cabling while the floorboards are up. Unfortunately I have never done anything like this before so I would appreciate if I could describe what I’m planning and someone could advise me if it’s reasonable.

So:

Should I run all cables to point in the flat? (Yep my Questions are about as basic as they get!) I assume that each socket outlet in the flat should be run to one point in the flat where a router, NAS & video steamer could be situated. I have a utility cupboard so that seams like using a shelf in there would be ideal.

I envisage various cables run from Leviton Snap-In Modules or similar

(e.g. these http://www.letsautomate.com/11657.cfm?)

to some form of patch panel. I’m thinking of wall mounting one of these:

http://www.letsautomate.com/12482.cfm

You then buy the appropriate inserts for the cables you want to run.

I should be able to get plug the telephone line from the BT socket into one of these cables along with the input from the arial on the roof. So I should be able to get voice/internet & TV signals routed to the central wiring cubpoard if need be.

I’m particularly interested to know what kind of cables to run. I want to make life easy for the electrician (who is doing the job for next to nothing as a favour) so I was thinking of some kind of structured cable like this:

http://www.scpcat5e.com/cables/structuredwiring.php

Though I’m bit confuses over which combination of coax/CAT/audio cores I should go for. Any advice here be very welcome. I think the best solution would be as many CAT cables as possible. My reasoning for this is that I have read that CAT can be used to run lots of things (like telephony and video) so it’s a good idea to have as many as them as possible. (Infact Is there any point having the Coax?)

One other question is should I go for CAT5 CATT5Eor CAT6. Most people seem to deal in CAT5, and CAT6 appears to be a pain to install so I think CAT5e is the best thing to go for.
However I can only find dual core CAT5e with coax in 500” spools which is much more than I’ll need. Is it possible to get the cable in smaller lengths?

Unfortunately I think I’m going to have to run some cables neat to electric power cables as several points round the flat (particularly near the outlets). I have read this can cause interference. Could this be a real problem and can some form of shielded cable help reduce this? I have read the FTP cable can help though it seems more aimed at the business market.

thanks in advance

theDUFF
theDUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2008, 20:45   #2
saabmania2

Services: VIP Pack
saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to saabmania2
Re: Noob home network questions

find your nearest eyre & ellison electrical wholeseller they sell 500m cat5e rolls for around £30 and then sell off what you don't use on ebay. i do this and get most of the money back for less than half a roll.
saabmania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2008, 13:11   #3
devonps
Inactive

Services: 20mb bb, digital tv & phone
devonps will become famous soon enoughdevonps will become famous soon enoughdevonps will become famous soon enough

Another networking option for you is Powerline - that way you don't need a ton of underfloor cabling - you can use your electricity sockets, then when you leave you can take your network with you.

One thing to bear in mind with underfloor cabling...what happens if a break occurs in the cable, e.g. a future tradesman saws through the cable (by mistake)...you'll have to relay the whole line.

So my overall advice is to think really careful about what kind of networking you choose.

BTW: I'm using 200mbps Powerline to provide an internal LAN and DMZ for my SOHO network - and it works fine.
devonps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 19:20   #4
networkpro
Inactive

networkpro is an unknown quantity at this point

You should be fine with Cat 5e cable and Cat 5e jacks -- you can probably choose riser rated instead of plenum rated for your location. I always recommend selecting name brand products for your network. You should run all of the cables back to a main demarcation point and terminate with a patch panel. The end points of the cable can be terminated with your Leviton snap in jacks and they can be mounted in wall plates or surface mount boxes.
networkpro is offline   Reply With Quote