Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How many users on your network?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

How many users on your network?

Old 01-07-2007, 00:24   #1
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
How many users on your network?

That is: if you're using a wireless router which isn't secured (in which case you deserve everything you get, you dork!), can you tell if anyone other than you is accessing it? If so, how?

I ask because a friend of mine has a laptop which, as is typical of Vista, insists on being connected to the Internet unless he disables the wireless LAN card - and it keeps picking up on a number of wireless networks, some of which aren't secured. I did point out that this is - I think - illegal, so he asked me if it's possible to tell.

Since I'm not sure, I'm now asking you guys.
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2007, 02:22   #2
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground
Re: How manu users on your network?

Yes it is possible to tell. The owner of the wireless point only has to look at the logs or a DHCP list to tell if someone else is using it.

In reply to how many users are on your network, at the moment, 12 LAN Party Usually only 4.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:53   #3
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Just the one, and it's not wireless.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:22   #4
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyssUnderground View Post
Yes it is possible to tell. The owner of the wireless point only has to look at the logs or a DHCP list to tell if someone else is using it.

In reply to how many users are on your network, at the moment, 12 LAN Party Usually only 4.
I think if the owner of the net connection was savvy enough to look at the logs, he would have his network locked down

And what games are you playing at your LAN, and where was the invite
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 14:44   #5
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

As already said... it is possible to tell, but like Bop says, usually if you know what to look for you also know how to prevent unauthorised access (unless we're talking about Fon users, which is gonna be the exception to the rule).

Just for info, connecting to a network without authorisation itself isn't committing a crime, it's only when you use that network that you're guilty of committing a crime (usually you'd get charged with unlawfully obtaining a service)
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 14:53   #6
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopdude View Post
I think if the owner of the net connection was savvy enough to look at the logs, he would have his network locked down
True.

But it's not as if it's difficult to secure a wireless network; you don't need much tech savvy. All you need to know is in the manual for the card, or in the help files. Oh, of course - no-one ever reads them, do they?

It's just lazy IMO, and if someone hijacks their network as a result, it's their own fault.

Having said that, is there any sort of software you can run in the background to tell you how many (I can't believe I typed 'manu' in the title and didn't spot it!) users are logged on, and/or if someone has just logged on?

---------- Post added at 14:53 ---------- Previous post was at 14:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
Just for info, connecting to a network without authorisation itself isn't committing a crime, it's only when you use that network that you're guilty of committing a crime (usually you'd get charged with unlawfully obtaining a service)
Ah, right. I stand corrected. Actually, it's not just my mate this happens to; my new laptop does it as well when I'm at home. Oddly, though, there are times when it doesn't want to connect to my router, but prefers someone else's network, even though my router's only in the next room. What's that about?

Old 01-07-2007, 15:04   #7
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopdude View Post

And what games are you playing at your LAN, and where was the invite
Well, its a combination of wired and wireless, and it was secured and he owned it
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 15:16   #8
Leeds_Tykes_RFU
Inactive

Services: TV XL BB L V+ V
Leeds_Tykes_RFU will become famous soon enoughLeeds_Tykes_RFU will become famous soon enoughLeeds_Tykes_RFU will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Leeds_Tykes_RFU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
True.

But it's not as if it's difficult to secure a wireless network; you don't need much tech savvy. All you need to know is in the manual for the card, or in the help files. Oh, of course - no-one ever reads them, do they?
It's not difficult at all - even I can do it, and I'm about the least computer-savvy person in the northern hemisphere!
Leeds_Tykes_RFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 15:27   #9
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

2 People. I have the wireless secured, and check the logs (we have a carpark out back, so I tend to assume people will park up and use my connect, which did happen when I did have the network unsecured for a while).

One thing I've always wondered. Bluetooth is a lot slower and has a lower range than WiFi (not counting Bluetooth 2), but security is enabled by default. With Wifi, it isn't..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 15:43   #10
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
2 People. I have the wireless secured, and check the logs (we have a carpark out back, so I tend to assume people will park up and use my connect, which did happen when I did have the network unsecured for a while).

One thing I've always wondered. Bluetooth is a lot slower and has a lower range than WiFi (not counting Bluetooth 2), but security is enabled by default. With Wifi, it isn't..
Yes, its always amazed me that WiFi routers do not have security enabled as default. I've also yet to see any clear paper based alert inside the packaging telling the person to enable wireless security.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:32   #11
Data

The WEP protocol isn't too secure. It can be breached remotely.
Old 02-07-2007, 18:26   #12
iJord
Inactive

iJord is an unknown quantity at this point

My wireless has no security
iJord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 18:31   #13
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJord View Post
Umm good for you, I hope you don't mind your neighbours borrowing your bandwidth now and again (this DOES happen!)
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 18:41   #14
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJord View Post
What do you mean? That security isn't enabled, or it has no security facility at all? If the latter, you really should upgrade it if possible, or replace it if not. A wireless setup is pretty cheap these days, to the point where wireless capabilities are now standard features on a laptop, whereas a year or two ago wireless was an optional extra.

You should go for any wireless setup that offers WPA2-PSK encryption, as that's the latest standard, or at least WPA-PSK - not WEP, as I think I read somewhere it has vulnerabilities. Let us know how you get on!
Old 05-07-2007, 23:58   #15
Stuart W
Inactive

Services: BroadBand 4M
Stuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to allStuart W is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Stuart W

Where I work there are no less than 35 active WiFi AP's, 12 of which are totaly open 24/7 and give world readable IP addresses.

Connected to my network right now, there are just over 650 PC's, 26 Switches, 4 Core switches and 2 routers.

(yes, I work in a data centre)
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote