Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | help needed with belkin router and ntl modem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

help needed with belkin router and ntl modem

Old 26-03-2007, 13:12   #1
graham 985
Inactive

graham 985 is an unknown quantity at this point
help needed with belkin router and ntl modem

hi, i have a problem, i want to make a wireless home network, linking 2 desktops, one downstairs, one upstairs. i have a belkin wireless router f5d7230-4, and 2 pci wireless desktop network cards. i have installed the cards in the 2 desktops.
the ntl modem is a home 120 at the moment im using a usb cable from the modem, to the downstairs desktop. the problem starts when trying to connect the router to the modem. i turn of the modem, if i take out the cable from the back of the desktop, as it says in the belkin instructions, i have nowhere on the router that that particular cable will fit into. do i plug the ethernet cable that i have into the modem and then into the back of the router, where it says ''connection to modem/internet'', also i have no cable which according to the belkin instructions should go into any of the 4 lan ports. i have called ntl or virgin as its now called, and got told you cant use the usb and ethernet together. so i'd like to know if possible, what i have to do, do i need more cables. any help will be appreciated.
graham 985
graham 985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-03-2007, 13:18   #2
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman
Re: help needed with belkin router and ntl modem

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham 985 View Post
do i plug the ethernet cable that i have into the modem and then into the back of the router, where it says ''connection to modem/internet'',
Yep thats the one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham 985 View Post
what i have to do, do i need more cables.
You need another ethernet cable (99p from ebay)

Plaese note that your modem must be off before you doe this. The ntl modem when it starts up sets it self up to work with what its connected to and it must be powered down if you connnect anything new.

Ethernet from modem to router, ethernet from router to main pc. Other 2 wireless.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 13:21   #3
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

to the forums.

You need to plug the Ethernet network cable from the NTL modem into the routers WAN or Internet port.
The other 4 LAN ports are if you want to connect any of your machines via ethernet as a wired network.
You may have to connect one of them once with a cable the first time you connect it all up, but then you can connect using your wireless cards.

you can get ethernet cables cheaply from CableUniverse:

http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catal...ex&cPath=23_31

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 13:22   #4
videodj
cf.addict

Services: Vivid 300Mb, Tivo V6, Tivo (Full House TV)
videodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enoughvideodj will become famous soon enough

Plug modem into router using ethernet cable. (power off both router and modem first).

Then you'll need an ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports to the the PC. This will let you set up the router and then you can connect the other PC Wirelessly.
videodj is offline   Reply With Quote