Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksys WRT300N upgrade from WRT54G?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linksys WRT300N upgrade from WRT54G?

Old 24-01-2007, 22:18   #1
tvout
Inactive

Services: VM L Broadband (10MB) XL TV V+ HD Box Off peak caller phone HTC Wildfire on T-Mobile UK Freeview
tvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enough
Linksys WRT300N upgrade from WRT54G?

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone here had a WRT300N?
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

I have very much enjoyed the reliability of my WRTG54G (as per recommendations on this forum). It's really great, only every now and then does it need a reset and it has about 10 devices that connect to it with all sorts of special configurations. The Netgear WGT634U I had before would die at least once every evening and had to keep being reset (tried all suggested fixes, even bought a 2nd one and had the same issues! Had to have it on a remote control switch, I switched the stupid thing on and off more often than the TV!)
Anyways, I think there has been a slight performance loss since changing from a 108mbps router to my 54mbps...so was considering an upgrade with the same manufacturer assuming the same reliability?

Any experiences anyone?
tvout is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-01-2007, 22:28   #2
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy
Re: Linksys WRT300N upgrade from WRT54G?

I have 7 devices that connect to my WRT54GS and dont have any reboot issues at all (given that youve already tried 2 Netgears and both having the same issues). You'd be better trying to understand why your having to reboot, its not while someone has been running P2P is it?

I used the Linksys firmware for a long time and had no issues. I now use the WRT firmware as i wanted the router to act as a VPN server and again i have no issues at all that cause me to reboot it.
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2007, 22:44   #3
tvout
Inactive

Services: VM L Broadband (10MB) XL TV V+ HD Box Off peak caller phone HTC Wildfire on T-Mobile UK Freeview
tvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enough

The reboot thing is usually a result of minor problems, like one laptop having trouble connecting or something. Occasionally it does play up, a wireless signal can't be found. Often if left for a couple of minutes it's detected again but I feel like it works a lot quicker with the occasional reboot.
I have 2 laptops and one desktop that download loads of stuff on P2P...

Only one device has a 108mbps wireless card, all the others are either wired or 54...
Old 24-01-2007, 22:49   #4
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Have a look at this page. I know your not using the WRT firmware but i believe it may affact the WRT54G with the Linksys firmware

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...outer_Slowdown
Old 24-01-2007, 23:31   #5
tvout
Inactive

Wow...useful link. That'd explain a lot as we use emule and bittorrent...
Can't telnet to the router though and can't find the IP settings referred to in the article? Any ideas how you amend these on the WRT54G?
Old 24-01-2007, 23:33   #6
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

if you telnet to the router you need to log on as ROOT and not admin.

i take it you looked in 192.168.1.1, they must be there somewhere. I no longer run the Linksys firmware so i cant go and have a look for you as my menus are now different.
Old 24-01-2007, 23:36   #7
tvout
Inactive

Cool cheer, I just went Run -> telnet 192.168.1.1 and also tried through command prompt and it didn't work?
Old 24-01-2007, 23:42   #8
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

no, you need to use your web browser and go to the address 192.168.1.1

to use telnet you can user hyperterminal in the windows start menu in Accessories/communications. Having said that, ive never really had much success with it
Old 25-01-2007, 00:16   #9
tvout
Inactive

Nope :o( No luck with Hyperterminal either...
Any thoughts?
What firmware have you got? What are the pros and cons of it over the Linksys firmware?
I don't have that much technical knowledge using telnet or understanding Linux type commands so have stayed with the simple stuff but if alternative firmware is better I might go for it? (You can go back to the linksys firmware again if you want can't you?)
Old 25-01-2007, 00:40   #10
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Enter the address in your browser not in a telnet session

The Linksys firmware has a known issue with heavy P2P traffic because of a design flaw with Netfilter/iptables which meant that the connection tracking would keep hold of stale connections for 5 days and caused the router to be inundated with outdated data. DD-WRT doesn't suffer from this problem, if your router supports it I'd recommend trying it too
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 01:11   #11
tvout
Inactive

Cool ok.
I'll give DD-WRT a go. Which version have you got?
Would you suggest the Beta V24 or the V23?
Cheers
Old 25-01-2007, 18:05   #12
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Ive got V23 SP2
Old 25-01-2007, 18:12   #13
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Use V23 SP2. Beta V24 is buggy.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2007, 19:20   #14
tvout
Inactive

Good call, cheers...
Just to clarify and make sure I really understand the instructions, I use the generic one if I already have Linksys firmware on it?
Old 25-01-2007, 19:39   #15
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb

Do you still need a certain version of the router still, before you can flash the dd-wrt firmware? I read later versions couldnt be flashed as there wasnt enough ram on board to handle the firmware.