Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cannot share network connection through my router.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cannot share network connection through my router.

Old 20-01-2007, 11:28   #1
brooksbnb
Inactive

brooksbnb is an unknown quantity at this point
Cannot share network connection through my router.

SORRY - "Cannot share INTERNET connection through my router"

I've just got an ntl Cable connection setup recently. I was given a cable modem by ntl and a CD to setup my computer. There are two computers in my house and I used the CD to setup one computer in my house and then registered with ntl and setup my username and password. This works fine and the internet works on this one computer.

It has given this computer the IP address: 81.98.xxx.xxx. I believe this is an external WAN IP address allocated to me my ntl.

I am now trying to share this internet connection to my other computer. I have a 3Com Wireless Router (Both PC are wired so the wireless is pretty useless at the moment, my friend gave this one to me).

This router has an ASDL Modem connection too, but I have not plugged my internet connection in there, I believe cable is not ASDL. So I've plugged it directly into LAN port 1. I then plug Computer 1 that currently has the internet working into LAN port 2 and my other computer into LAN port 3.

The new computer in LAN port 3 is assigned an IP address 192.168.1.2 which I believe is a member of the IP subnet that is owned by the router and I understand that I can only talk to the router directly if I'm a member of this subnet. (All computers have DHCP enabled and are set to be automatically allocated an IP address).

So in Internet Explorer I type "http://192.168.1.1" and this gives me acces to the router settings. In this I attempt to use the setup wizard to setup my internet connection to the router. I first chose PPPoA and then put in my username and password (and triple checked that I did this right). I then set the IP address for the internet connection to be allocated by my ISP. I also enabled DHCP.

When I try to connect this to the internet, my router continuely state "NOT CONNECTED". I cannot get this router to distribute the internet connection. So the computer in LAN port 3 does not get internet, but strangely the computer in LAN port 2 does still get internet, and when I look at the ipconfig I see that it's IP address is still the 81.98.xxx.xxx number and has not been allocated a local address: 192.168.1.x.

I have also tried PPPoE in case I was supposed to use that (I'm not really sure what PPPoA and PPPoE mean)

Please if anyone can help I would much appreciate it, I am relatively new to this and would be very grateful for some expert advice.

Thanks
brooksbnb
brooksbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-01-2007, 11:37   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Cannot share network connection through my router.

If its ADSL then it won't work with NTL cable distributed broadband, what is the model number of the router? If it's a DSL router then you would need to turn everything off, connect the modem to the WAN port, PCs to the LAN ports, power on modem, wait for lights to lock, power up the router, wait for lights to lock, power up the PCs.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2007, 11:45   #3
brooksbnb
Inactive

It is a 3Com ADSL 11g Wireless Firewall Router WL-540A.

3CRWE754G72-A.

Hmm, I think you maybe right, because there is no specific WAN port. It's just 4 LAN ports and an ADSL Modem slot.

However, it does say above a group of four flashing lights DSL. The four flashing are: Power, Sync, Online and WLAN.
Old 20-01-2007, 12:33   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

You wont get that router to work with cable
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2007, 16:01   #5
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter

ADSL Routers won't work with Cable internet. You need to get yourself a Cable router (also called ethernet routers). The Linksys WRT54G are very popular with the users on this board and you can pick them up quite cheap now.
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2007, 16:31   #6
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

I've got a Linksys WRT54G router and I definitely recommend them.
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2007, 17:55   #7
brooksbnb
Inactive

Thanks very much for the time guys. I'll do that.

Cheers