Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Another Linksys Question for Help!!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Another Linksys Question for Help!!!

Old 25-11-2006, 17:01   #1
chrisann
Inactive

chrisann is an unknown quantity at this point
Another Linksys Question for Help!!!

Right got everything working correctly on Monday..both Desktop and Laptop security set up and both worked wirelessly..
Then Microsoft downloaded updates Monday evening..Tuesday Laptop wouldn't go wireless at all..says it can't find any wireless settings.. Desktop can though....directed me to Microsoft Web site but after reading several pages it didn't help...and still can't get the Laptop to find the Wireless settings..even those in the local area. So I am really stumped as to what to do next. Any help greatly appreciated.

Chrisann. Thanks....
chrisann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-11-2006, 22:03   #2
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: Another Linksys Question for Help!!!

Chrisann,

First thing - do you know what updates were installed Monday? (hint - Open IE and connect to WindowsUpdate - windowsupdate.microsoft.com - and in the menu on the left is an 'update history' link)
Second - Does wireless config open at all and just show no networks or is there an error when opening wireless config? Have you hidden your wireless network (disabled SSID broadcast) and if so does unhiding it help?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2006, 16:18   #3
chrisann
Inactive

Aragorn Thank you for replying to me.

Firstly I downloaded all the updates about 40 in number on the Laptop that it told me to..took for ever too...Tuesday morning when I tried to open the wireless network a page appeared..it was my Choose a Wireless Network page..and this usually shows my network and 2 others in the local area. instead it said...Windows cannot configure this wireless network..and went on to say to start Wireless Configeration (WZC) service to go to the Microsoft web sote and look at Article 871122 in the Microsoft knowledge base etc. I did this and after reading it still don't know how to get round this issue.
I didn't download I.E.7 either..still with I.E.6 so can't be that.
Now heres another thing..today here on this desktop I have logged in wired up..clicked on the wireless connection and it has connected me straight away. but still can't get it on the laptop..and I spent all Monday on it so I know all the settings should be o.k.

Sorry for going on...but now I am having to plug both laptop and desktop in and out on the same cable to get online.

Any advice would be so great.

Thanks..

Chrisann.
Old 26-11-2006, 16:31   #4
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

You could try a system restore to a point before you installed the updates.
Old 26-11-2006, 16:44   #5
chrisann
Inactive

System Restore..well I dd think of that one..but the restore day was Wednesday..so not much help with that..but thanks for the idea..

Would have been good if it had been for last week say..

Chrisann.
Old 26-11-2006, 17:37   #6
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Chrisann,

Try opening a dos window and at the prompt type:
net start "Wireless Zero Configuration"
and report back any error.
If that works - no error - does it allow you to 'view all wireless networks'?
Old 27-11-2006, 14:10   #7
chrisann
Inactive

Oh Heck....Well couldn't find a Wireless connection on the Desktop today so typed as you said and a black box appeared.then disappeared..then on my shortcut for the wireless connection there is now a red cross..and I can't get it to connect now at all..same on the laptop...and no I can't see anybody else in my area either..just keeps telling me that Windows can't configure the connection..

So Iam at a quandry..

Chrisann
Old 27-11-2006, 14:34   #8
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

CLick "Run", type "cmd". Hit return. Now type what Aragorn said into the resulting window. That will display any errors.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 17:07   #9
chrisann
Inactive

O.K. typed that in came back with...The Service help is invalid..more help available type NET HELPPMSG 2185..did this came back with a long list didn't mean anything..

Chrisann
Old 27-11-2006, 18:27   #10
opelfruitcase
Inactive

opelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisann View Post
O.K. typed that in came back with...The Service help is invalid..more help available type NET HELPPMSG 2185..did this came back with a long list didn't mean anything..

Chrisann
Try going to Start > Run and this time, type in services.msc - then search for a service in the list that pops up called Wireless Zero Configuration and report back here if its status says started or not, and check for start up type, which will either be automatic, manual or disabled.
opelfruitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2006, 16:15   #11
chrisann
Inactive

Thankyou for replying...Typed as you directed came back with the Status completely blank status type reads Automatic..Log in local system.

So what is this telling me then..Thanks Chrisann

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:47 ----------

I have gone to the status and clicked on Start..not sure if this is o.k. yet though?

Chrisann.

---------- Post added at 15:00 ---------- Previous post was at 14:55 ----------

Nope just tried to connect again wirelessly on the laptop..still saying it can't find a network ..or any in the area for that matter...But I can connect wirelessly on the desktop...but I need it the other way round. Help..

Chrisann...

---------- Post added at 16:15 ---------- Previous post was at 15:00 ----------

I think I have sorted it..well hopefully...went into the Change Advanced Settings then Windows Network tab selected the check box to use windows to configure the wireless settings. And it foun d wireless straight away plus 2 down the road. Hopefully it will stay o.k. It has take me over a week to get it but I have persisted..I just knew it had to be somewhere.

Thanks so much to all for help given...Very grateful..and I hope it logs in wirelessly from now on..
Cheers....Chrisann..
Old 28-11-2006, 16:21   #12
Aragorn
Inactive

Sounds good.
Old 29-11-2006, 15:25   #13
chrisann
Inactive

Oh No. Well today can't get any Wireless connections on either desktop or laptop. Tried absolutely everything...and what I did yesterday just isn't working today at all. I am getting really fed up now. I was trying hard not to have to get someone out. Why is everything o.k. one day and now it says No connections Wirelessly and just keeps putting a red cross with disable against everything..As much as I keep enabling it it keeps disabling it/.

Should I just give up. I don't usually get fed up..but I am now.

Help!!!!!!!!

Chrisann.
Old 29-11-2006, 17:08   #14
Aragorn
Inactive

Hi,

Firstly, we never established which model router you have and what wireless cards.

A couple of commands for you to type at the dos prompt ('Start','Run',CMD)

ipconfig /all

net start

Cut/paste the results of these commands into this thread.
Old 29-11-2006, 17:15   #15
opelfruitcase
Inactive

opelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisann View Post
Thankyou for replying...Typed as you directed came back with the Status completely blank status type reads Automatic..Log in local system.
This says a lot - status should read 'Started'. Try double clicking on it and hit the button labeled 'start' (strange that, lol!). See if anything happens with this.
opelfruitcase is offline   Reply With Quote