Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Quick 'n simple ntl WAN IP question!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Quick 'n simple ntl WAN IP question!

Old 23-10-2006, 09:59   #1
pooper
Inactive

Services: VM 20Mb
pooper is a glorious beacon of lightpooper is a glorious beacon of lightpooper is a glorious beacon of lightpooper is a glorious beacon of lightpooper is a glorious beacon of lightpooper is a glorious beacon of lightpooper is a glorious beacon of light
Quick 'n simple ntl WAN IP question!

I was just wondering, what device/interface is assigned the ntl WAN IP when you're connected to their network and using a router?

I'm assuming its still the cable modem, and the ethernet connection from your router to the modem, is a private address (192.168.1.1)

Ohh and also, i understand that the default for cable modems is 192.168.1.1 (or something), and the default (generally) for ADSL is 192.168.0.1, but can you actually change the private IP address in the Cable modem config pages?

Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, probably should have googled it first
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...ps/ipaddr.html has answered all my questions :P
pooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-10-2006, 19:57   #2
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter
Re: Quick 'n simple ntl WAN IP question!

Quote:
I'm assuming its still the cable modem, and the ethernet connection from your router to the modem, is a private address (192.168.1.1)
That's correct, the WAN IP is still assigned to the modem. I'm not sure about the modem->router private address being 192.168.1.1 though, you'll find that on the Motorola Surfboard modems for example, that its local address is actually 192.168.100.1. As for ADSL, that's a different case completely, since the modem is usually integrated into the router. As far as I know, you can't change the cable modem's local IP address.
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006, 20:13   #3
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

The cable modem gets the wan address and forwards this onto the next device.

If that's a pc then the pc is assigned the wan ip. If its a router then it gets the 80.xx.xx.xx address and creates a private ip range. 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 are 2 that are used but because its a private internal ip range you can use anything you like. 16.1.1.1 for example, so long as you don't duplicate ip address on your internal network it will work fine.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2006, 20:15   #4
pooper
Inactive

pooper is a glorious beacon of lightpooper is a glorious beacon of lightpooper is a glorious beacon of lightpooper is a glorious beacon of lightpooper is a glorious beacon of lightpooper is a glorious beacon of lightpooper is a glorious beacon of light

Is the address 192.168.100.1 'hardcoded' on the CM, and not changeable?
Old 29-10-2006, 20:42   #5
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Why would you want to change the address?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 08:52   #6
pooper
Inactive

I'm getting confused now, so i've made a pretty little diagram, trying to explain!
Old 30-10-2006, 08:57   #7
zing_deleted

The ip that comes out of the modem is your physical ip ie 86.374.blar.blar this goes into your router and then the router allocates internal ips in the 192.168.blar.blar format a dsl router does exactly the same only the modem is inside the router enclosure
Old 30-10-2006, 10:05   #8
pooper
Inactive

I think i get that... do you think you could update my diagram though, so it's clear in my mind? Thaaaaaaaaaanks