Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 802.11b Mix Mode?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

802.11b Mix Mode?

Old 05-07-2005, 14:26   #1
JediMaster
Inactive

JediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these parts
Question 802.11b Mix Mode?

Hi

I own a Ebuyer 54mbps Wireless Cable/DSL (WI-FI) Broadband Router 4-port (802.11G) HERE or Quickfind code: 52629

I wanted to use a Nokia 9500 on it. As it has WiFi. The problem is my friend has one & it wont work on my system. His house Network is ok (Netgear) but my EBuyer is not working on it. Laptops are OK. But the Mobile wont.

I emailed Nokia 3 times & this is the LAST email I had...
Quote:
With regards to your email query concerning the 9500, this model is a
802.11b device. You have indicated that you are using an 802.11g
network, the 9500 will not be able to operate in this network. You will need
to operate in either 802.11b or in mixed mode. Please consult your
routers operating manual for information on this functionality.

Please don't hesitate to contact us again if you have any further
questions.
So... What is Mix Mode?? I thought 802.11g was backward compatible. Any tips?
JediMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2005, 14:29   #2
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: 802.11b Mix Mode?

In "Mix Mode" the device will operate either at b or g speeds dependent on the devices that it is connected to.

If your device is specifically set to b or g then it will only work at those speeds. g devices are backwards compatible but only in as much as they normally include a Mix Mode setting.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 16:04   #3
JediMaster
Inactive

JediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
In "Mix Mode" the device will operate either at b or g speeds dependent on the devices that it is connected to.

If your device is specifically set to b or g then it will only work at those speeds. g devices are backwards compatible but only in as much as they normally include a Mix Mode setting.
how do find out if its mix mode enabled?
cheers
Old 05-07-2005, 16:13   #4
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

This bit from the eBuyer link suggests that it is capable:

Quote:
Provide seamless roaming within the IEEE 802.11b and 802.11g WLAN infrastructure.
I've been looking for a manual for your model but can't find one. There should be an option in the control panel to set the wireless mode - you need to look there.
Old 05-07-2005, 16:45   #5
JediMaster
Inactive

Hi...

I saw in my Admin Pannel for the Router... (See Image)

Security: 802.1x and RADIUS (Will that allow ALL 802.11* to work?

This FORUM is one for my Router. But cant see any Instructions...
Old 05-07-2005, 16:56   #6
Raistlin
Inactive

I think that "802.1x and RADIUS" refers to an exncryption method, not to the speed/mode of the router.

An exhaustive search has turned up nothing more I'm afraid. The fact that there aren't any instructions anywhere on how to set the mode would suggest one of two things:

1. Both modes aren't actually supported, despite the spec claiming that they are, or
2. The switching between modes is automatic depending on what the router is connecting to. If this is the case then is is permenantly operating in "mixed" mode so it should be seeing the phone ok.....

Have you set up the security features on the router?

If so, did you set up a WEP key or change/disable the SSID broadcast?

If you did it could be this that is preventing the phone from connecting.
Old 05-07-2005, 17:00   #7
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

That option is purely for enhanced security.

Try having a look in the 'advanced' menus for more Wireless config, although it maybe something you can't configure - ie it 'should' drop to mixed mode if there are both 11b & 11g devices in range.

Have you tried using your phone with no other wireless devices active? Maybe the router is in 11g mode and can't drop down to 11b mode?

The manufacturers website is http://safecom.cn/code/default.asp (according to the forum) but appears to be pants - no manuals or FAQ for that device !

As Raistlin said - have you secured the network - MAC address filtering is the other one to look for.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 17:01   #8
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn
As Raistlin said - have you secured the network - MAC address filtering is the other one to look for.
Good point, knew I'd missed something.....
Old 05-07-2005, 17:19   #9
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

That router definately works with wireless B devices, had 2 on it when i had it. However that router is the bain of the earth and never should have been created...
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 17:20   #10
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwn
That router definately works with wireless B devices, had 2 on it when i had it. However that router is the bain of the earth and never should have been created...

I got that impression when I was searching round the web for information on it but I didn't like to say

Thanks for confirming it's wireless B compatible though
Old 05-07-2005, 22:04   #11
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

It will work but not at more than 11 Mb/s and may impact on the G devices' performance too...

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 00:46   #12
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin

I got that impression when I was searching round the web for information on it but I didn't like to say

Thanks for confirming it's wireless B compatible though
No probs
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:31   #13
JediMaster
Inactive

Quote:
Whats that?? Dont think I have?
Old 06-07-2005, 15:04   #14
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster
Whats that?? Dont think I have?
Try clicking the 'MAC address control' button - as shown on your screenshot
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:18   #15
JediMaster
Inactive

Quote:
Try clicking the 'MAC address control' button - as shown on your screenshot
Here is Screen Shot!

What if any Edits do I need to do?