Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Your predictions under Labour

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Your predictions under Labour

Old 05-07-2024, 20:41   #1
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Your predictions under Labour

So what are your predictions?

The Minimum Unit Price for Alcohol will be extended to England, and hiked for the whole of the UK "to help the Hospitality Sector".
Revaluation of all homes for Council Tax increases.
Congestion Charge extended to EV's.
A full roll-out of 20mph speed limits, LTN's and ULEZ.
Road Charging.
Parking Charges at work.
The removal of the Tax Freeze on fuel.
Hefty taxes and restrictions on vaping.
The continuation of the policy not to increase Personal Tax Allowances.
Disabled people pushed towards work and/or training.
Disability Payments changed from cash to coupons for devices and modifications.
Streamlining asylum applications by reducing checks.
Recognising Palestine.
A law protecting islam from blasphemy.
Building on Grey Land.
A tax designed to push people to spend rather than save.
A tax on internet usage.
Whatever the Unions demand.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2024, 21:03   #2
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Your predictions under Labour

You are kidding yourself on if you think the Starmer government is in the pockets of trade unions.

Significant effort went into purging the party of any semblance of a left wing party. Despite the popularity - along the population at large - of some of the policies in previous manifestos.

I predict an extremely vanilla two years before being prodded into action by a slump in the polls. Whether that action is a lurch to the left or right is a toss of a coin.

Last edited by jfman; 05-07-2024 at 21:07.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2024, 21:34   #3
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
So what are your predictions?

The Minimum Unit Price for Alcohol will be extended to England, and hiked for the whole of the UK "to help the Hospitality Sector".
No

Quote:
Revaluation of all homes for Council Tax increases.
yes, or something similar

Quote:
Congestion Charge extended to EV's.
already happening

Quote:
A full roll-out of 20mph speed limits, LTN's and ULEZ.
yes

Quote:
Road Charging.
yes or similar

Quote:
Parking Charges at work.
yes or tax it

Quote:
The removal of the Tax Freeze on fuel.
no

Quote:
Hefty taxes and restrictions on vaping.
no, they’ll ban vaping and smoking

Quote:
The continuation of the policy not to increase Personal Tax Allowances.
no

Quote:
Disabled people pushed towards work and/or training.
no

Quote:
Disability Payments changed from cash to coupons for devices and modifications.
possibly

Quote:
Streamlining asylum applications by reducing checks.
yes and approving all.

Quote:
Recognising Palestine.
no

Quote:
A law protecting islam from blasphemy.
an absolute cert.

Quote:
Building on Grey Land.
should do

Quote:
A tax designed to push people to spend rather than save.
tax savings? I could see that.

Quote:
A tax on internet usage.
no

Quote:
Whatever the Unions demand.
no
Old 06-07-2024, 13:38   #4
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Easy prediction and that is we won't have the daily psychodramas, arrogant entitlement to power and internecine warfare we had constantly under the Tories.

That just in itself is a improvement.

As for policies well nothing is working in this country so the only way is up.
Old 06-07-2024, 15:01   #5
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

A load of we didn't say that, we offered nothing and a load of nothing is what you get.
Old 06-07-2024, 15:43   #6
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

As he has concentrated on telling the voter what he's not going to do and not what he is going to do, It's difficult to predict. The question is, will he do very little or will he be Blair 2.0.

He can't do much different unless he hits the public with higher taxes, he's unlikely to grow the economy. So I guess he's either going to have a short honeymoon period until those that voted for him realise, or he's going to get radical. He doesn't seem like the radical type, he's Mr cautious but it depends on who he has advising him. (Maybe Blair!!!!)

* Give the Welsh Assembly more powers.

He can then distance himself from them and the shambles they have been responsible for over the past 25 years. (I refuse to call that town hall council a government)

* Some spite taxes on those in the middle earning a good wage to appease those that suffer from envy.

They know they can't tax the rich, so better off workers are an easy target as the are generally despised by those on benefits, low paid, part-time or pensioners.

* Further privatisation of the NHS by stealth with PFI type deals like the last Labour government.

What they have said about increasing the contracting of NHS patients to private hospitals would have resulted in screams of "Privatisation of the NHS" if the Conservatives had proposed the same.

* Building their 40 new hospitals will most likely be some sort of PFI deal with the private sector. The Conservatives couldn't afford it, but perhaps he's going to screw those in the middle enough to pay for it.

* GB Energy or whatever it's called is just another deal to throw money at the private sector. Even if does reduce energy bills it will have been funded by the extra tax collected from the worker.

* Abolish the 40 & 45% tax relief on pension contributions, and reduce the annual allowance from £60k back to £40k. (Envy tax)

* Abolish the 25% tax free amount that you can take from your pension pot after 55 year of age. (I could foresee an election and a Labour government later this year, so even though I didn't really need the money when I combined my private pensions in April this year I took my 25%)

All in all personally I find it depressing, I'm less than 2 years off 60 which is when I plan to retire or partially retire. So from a personal point of view I'm hoping he ignores his advisors and follows his gut instinct, which means he will probably procrastinates for at least a year and then do very little.

I just wonder how long it will take for the centre-left to realise, or should I say admit, that things are no better.
Old 06-07-2024, 16:34   #7
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Very few carrots. Just bigger and better sticks plus a lode of woke nonsense.
Old 06-07-2024, 16:45   #8
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Very few carrots. Just bigger and better sticks plus a lode of woke nonsense.
Sounds good to me.

Bring on those hidden tax rises for those that are bleeding us dry.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 18:06   #9
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

They have no money to do anything, so it’ll be token gestures in the culture war.

And tax rises.
Old 07-07-2024, 08:33   #10
Angua
17 years same company

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

I don't expect a lot of drama, as there is a huge mess to sort out.

Tax thresholds won't change - this will impact pensioners and would be the same had the Tories got back in.

Much will be expected from the Covid corruption Tsar claiming funds back, but this will take years.

The low and middle earners cannot be taxed more as this would be self defeating. Ultra wealthy may find they are taxed more, along with those who make money from property, again this will only affect a few.

I have already received a leaflet from Labour outlining their first steps. None of which are hugely contentious or massively ambitious.
Old 07-07-2024, 09:07   #11
LakieLady
cf.member

LakieLady is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapee View Post
What they have said about increasing the contracting of NHS patients to private hospitals would have resulted in screams of "Privatisation of the NHS" if the Conservatives had proposed the same.
That's exactly how Blair reduced waiting lists, and I don't recall there being a huge outcry at the time.

The trust where I live has been using private hospitals ever since then, I had an NHS op in one a couple of years ago, because my wait was about to breach their target time. It frees up NHS capacity to concentrate on the more complex cases that can't be done in the private sector.
LakieLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 09:18   #12
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

I have no idea on what's to come or how they're going to sort things out. But for me to feel cautiously optimistic is at least a step in the right direction.

Last edited by peanut; 07-07-2024 at 09:22.
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 09:54   #13
Angua
17 years same company

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I have no idea on what's to come or how they're going to sort things out. But for me to feel cautiously optimistic is at least a step in the right direction.
The new MP for Leicester NW is a friend and colleague. Also a bonus that the former MP lost his deposit.

---------- Post added at 09:54 ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakieLady View Post
That's exactly how Blair reduced waiting lists, and I don't recall there being a huge outcry at the time.

The trust where I live has been using private hospitals ever since then, I had an NHS op in one a couple of years ago, because my wait was about to breach their target time. It frees up NHS capacity to concentrate on the more complex cases that can't be done in the private sector.
As the private surgeon who operated on a friend pointed out, they are chasing the same nurses as the NHS and costs constrain what they can pay.
Old 07-07-2024, 10:04   #14
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

ID cards is one to watch. Last Labour government wanted them and it could help with immigration which is one area Labour will be going all out to combat.

Although as soon as I type that they're on tv denying it.

Last edited by Damien; 07-07-2024 at 10:33.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 10:49   #15
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
ID cards is one to watch. Last Labour government wanted them and it could help with immigration which is one area Labour will be going all out to combat.

Although as soon as I type that they're on tv denying it.
Personally l have a strong hunch we will be hearing a lot more of ID cards.