Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Universal Repeater or Range Extender ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Universal Repeater or Range Extender ?

Old 01-12-2011, 12:57   #1
robinhood1701
Inactive

robinhood1701 is an unknown quantity at this point
Universal Repeater or Range Extender ?

I'm new to Wifi Networking, I have a TP Link Cable router (on Virgin)
TL-WR1043ND with a Edimax EW-7416APn V2, acting as a wifi range extender, I would like to add a TP Link
TL-WA901ND to extend range further, I've read that the TL-WA901ND Access Point, has a universal repeater mode, is that the same as range extender mode ? If not what are the differences ?
Any help would be great, thanks
robinhood1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2011, 14:32   #2
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Re: Universal Repeater or Range Extender ?

hmm is there actually a range extender mode? I think this is just their terminology for the fact that you can configure those boxes in all of the usual repeater/ap modes.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 16:00   #3
robinhood1701
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
hmm is there actually a range extender mode? I think this is just their terminology for the fact that you can configure those boxes in all of the usual repeater/ap modes.
Ok, prob is just terminology, so repeater mode will extend the wireless range of a router ?
Old 01-12-2011, 16:28   #4
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Universal repeater mode is more than likely what you want. I have the 7416APN hidden away in the dining room to extend the range from my office into the lounge. Bit of a fiddle to setup as the documentation isn't that great but once done it works a treat.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 19:59   #5
robinhood1701
Inactive

My Edimax is in the roof space of our bungalow, fitted with two 9dbi longer aerials, and has a Vodafone Sure Signal device connected to the LAN port, (a Femtocell) your right, mine does work very well, had it running on three different routers, a small Netgear, Cisco E4200 & the TP Link, which works best of all, and cheaper than Cisco, can be a but of a fiddle, but am used to it now !
So repeater is about the same as but better than range extender, which is what Edimax call it in their software.