Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless Netgear gives me half the wired speed??

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Netgear gives me half the wired speed??

Old 03-07-2008, 14:49   #1
xxtomasxx
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size L (No TV, No Phone Line, sweet!) £16pm for the year
xxtomasxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless Netgear gives me half the wired speed??

Hi, just joined Virgin two weeks ago... Im on Broadband L Size and after some work with my connection (TCP Analyser) I got the full 10meg connection speeds ... however this was direct connection from modem via ethernet.

I ordered a Netgear WG111T adapter for my dinosaur of a laptop and now Im wireless, with the Virgin supplied Netgear 54meg Router, but at only half my speeds, and thats with perfect reception??

Some of the issues I am aware of are that my USB port is 1.1 not 2.0 and that is supposed to reduce speed capacity for the WG111T(which is a 108meg adapter)... is this what is affecting my speed?? or do I need a 108meg wireless router as opposed to 54??

PS Other stepas have been (as per VM technical advice) to increase signal from ch6 to 11 in modem settings... no difference whatsoever

Please Help, I really dont want the wires back, lol

Thanks
xxtomasxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2008, 15:33   #2
xspeedyx

Re: Wireless Netgear gives me half the wired speed??

I had that problem have u got cordless phones or rather thick walls or metal areas around the wireless signal these can affect the speed plus wirless wont always give you top speed I got 6mb from 20mb connection on wireless and never got sorted tryed everything
Old 03-07-2008, 15:43   #3
xxtomasxx
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size L (No TV, No Phone Line, sweet!) £16pm for the year

Thanks for the reply... No I had the laptop right next to the router, good signal and changed channels... all the same.. I really don't know loads aboy Wireless networks, standards, equipment... But I wonder why Virgin supply a modem that's 10mg/20mg compatible and a wireless router that is not?? Seems kinda stupid... Assuming that is the problem. I'm still kinda lost, I know for a fact that the connection is 10meg, following speed tests for the last two weeks, so its not the connection... still could b e my USB 1.1 slowing adapter down??

I'll keep tryin, there must be a way round the prob...
Old 03-07-2008, 16:26   #4
ceedee
cf.geek

Services: 100Mb VM Broadband
ceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond repute

Get a mate with a (more recent) laptop with 802.11g to connect to your wireless router and check the download speed -- preferably by grabbing multiple files at the same time.

(I suspect your ancient USB connection too but can't recall the data throughput speed.)
ceedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 16:30   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

USB is round about 12Mb, V2 is at 480Mb

Kymmy
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 16:32   #6
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
USB is round about 12Mb, V2 is at 480Mb

Kymmy
Damn, beat me to it
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 16:40   #7
xxtomasxx
Inactive

Thanks for your replies, I'll find that mate, he's allready on his way over just doesn't know it yet But on the USB point... if it is 12meg, then should that not be ok?? or is it a case of with all things, the 'actual' rate is not that of the published rate?? In other words, what is the spped limitation on a USB 1.1 adapter in reality? I guess I could ditch my newly purchased USB tingy and go get a PC card tingy instead...

Do really appreciate your thoughts, im feelin like the wireless waves have fried my brain on this one, ouch
Old 04-07-2008, 20:37   #8
ruddock08
cf.addict

Services: VIVID 200 Broadband + BT Whole Home WiFi
ruddock08 is on a distinguished roadruddock08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ruddock08

12 Mbit, if your on bb L you should be alright, if your 20 mb then you will only get up to 1.2 mega BYTE. have you not tryed a pcimia card?
ruddock08 is offline   Reply With Quote