Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SBS 2003 hiding a disk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

SBS 2003 hiding a disk

Old 26-06-2008, 12:24   #1
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
SBS 2003 hiding a disk

I'm about to add a new sata drive to a proliant server which will be used for on-site backups plus various work-in-progress files.
Is there any way I can make that whole disk private to the admin accounts? Ideally I'd like the user accounts to not even see that the drive exists.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-06-2008, 12:37   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: SBS 2003 hiding a disk

Unless you setup a share on the disk it wouldn't be visible to anyone connecting to the server via the network. The disk will be seen by anyone physically logging onto the server.

If you do need to share parts of the disk over the network, the security permissions from the active directory can be set so that unapproved users wouldn't be able to access the share. That I would have thought is sufficient.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 14:56   #3
Dai
Inactive

Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze

My thanks for that Rob.
Old 27-06-2008, 07:07   #4
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

And don't forget you can make those shares hidden by placing a $ at the end of the share name.
Old 27-06-2008, 09:37   #5
Dai
Inactive

Ah yes, that's worth noting too. Still, it looks like my fears were unfounded from the trials I've done so far.

If I could digress from the original question a bit, I've another server noob question now to do with CALs.

By default the system comes with 5 CALs. Does this mean that the server will actually refuse to accept more than 5 domain users logged in? I'm not clear on whether this is (simply) a licensing issue or if it actually affects the number of connections allowed.
Old 27-06-2008, 09:44   #6
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

I believe that's the case - it's x concurrent connections - when no#6 attempts to connect it'll be refused - and check the event log of licensing errors.
Old 27-06-2008, 10:09   #7
Dai
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
I believe that's the case - it's x concurrent connections - when no#6 attempts to connect it'll be refused - and check the event log of licensing errors.
As it looks like we're about to add users 6 & 7 I'll advise my client to buy another CAL pack pronto..

Thx.
Old 30-06-2008, 23:36   #8
berkut
Inactive

Services: 30Mb BB, XL Phone, XL TV and V+
berkut is a jewel in the roughberkut is a jewel in the roughberkut is a jewel in the roughberkut is a jewel in the roughberkut is a jewel in the rough

All that happens when you exceed the 5 CAL's is you get frequent event log entries moaning about not having enough licenses.

short term the additional machines will connect with no issues while the CAL pack is being purchased, delivered and installed...

not advisable to run in this condition for any length of time as you can only get not get fined if audited for licenses is if you have a valid order being processed for delivery for the additional CAL's.

the CAL packs (OEM) are only £204 ex VAT for SBS 2003 and £234 ex VAT for SBS 2003 R2 respectively.

far better than the fines they are handing out
berkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:02   #9
Dai
Inactive

Thanks for the detailed reply Berkut.
New CALs are ordered, so I guess we're in the clear.