Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | router question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

router question

Old 01-05-2008, 18:55   #1
djmagic
Inactive

djmagic is an unknown quantity at this point
router question

i have had a wireless router installed all ok
with my pc connected to the router via a ethernet cable.
i have now moved my pc to another room amd unpluged EVERYTHING

no when i have connected everthing back up with a belkin dongle on my pc and a pluscom on my wifs pc
i can connect to the router and sat the defults via the web setup

but am unable to connect to the internet??

so my main question is do i have to set the router up with a physical connection or would the wirless connection be sufficient

many thanks hope this makes sence
djmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2008, 19:03   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: router question

The router needs to be wired to the cable modem using ethernet between the modem and router WAN (internet) port.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 19:05   #3
djmagic
Inactive

super fast answer manythanks...yes the router and the modem are connected together...but do i need a connection from the router to a pc??
Old 01-05-2008, 19:11   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

If your Belking dongle is wireless, then no wired connection is needed (hence the wireless bit). You know the wireless connection is working if you've been able to browse to the router, and that also means your computer's internet explorer settings are OK.

Presumably you powered everything, modem, router and PC off when you did the move? Are all the normal lights lit on the modem and router?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 19:15   #5
djmagic
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
If your Belking dongle is wireless, then no wired connection is needed (hence the wireless bit). You know the wireless connection is working if you've been able to browse to the router, and that also means your computer's internet explorer settings are OK.

Presumably you powered everything, modem, router and PC off when you did the move? Are all the normal lights lit on the modem and router?
wow thanks ...yes all the above is correct...but i just cant connect to the net e-mail etc...

all the modem lights are correct and if i go to network properties it says packets recieved ***
packets sent 0
maybe that will help the mor tech head guys....not myself ..lol
Old 01-05-2008, 19:24   #6
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

dj here 1st of all (how rude of you Rob not welcoming a new member like that)

okay now here come the tricky questions.

a: when the router was connected did you have internet then before moving everything?

b: can you log into the router and check that its set to Dynamic?

c: check that you connected the cable to the WAN port and not the LAN port on the router.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 19:31   #7
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmagic View Post
wow thanks ...yes all the above is correct...but i just cant connect to the net e-mail etc...

all the modem lights are correct and if i go to network properties it says packets recieved ***
packets sent 0
maybe that will help the mor tech head guys....not myself ..lol
On the PC that has been using a wired connection, it may still be looking at the network card. Try going to My Network Places/Network connections. In there you should see entries for both the wired NIC and the wireless. Right-click on the old wired NIC and disable.
Now reboot and hopefully the system will use the wireless connection.
If no joy after that do Start/Run/Cmd to a dos window and run 'ipconfig' without the quotes. Post back the IP address and Default gateway values.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 20:01   #8
djmagic
Inactive

ok guys thanks for your help....i have connected the pc back downstairs to the router via eathernet and all ok..
hvae then pluged in the dongle after disconnecting the eathernet lead.
and great all working, so now i am going to switch off the pc and reboot to see what happens...whis me luck

*****************EDIT******************
ok have rebooted and all ok it seams.

so would i be right in saying that the router needs to be set up for the first time with a physical connection..???
it seams a sill question i know!
Old 01-05-2008, 20:37   #9
DocDutch
argh

DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

yeah initial setup of a router is best to do wired normally. glad you got it up and running now
Old 01-05-2008, 20:56   #10
djmagic
Inactive

have found out this..
have just moved everything up stairs and wow it dont work.........
but but another dongle in from wifs pc and works ok.....

so whats the score there then...or should i leave well enough alone and be greatfull it works? thanks again for ya help..
Old 01-05-2008, 21:16   #11
DocDutch
argh

which belkin adapter is it and which version of it (F5D****) all on the bottom of the unit. perhaps I can shed some light on that.

also which router have you got?
Old 01-05-2008, 21:23   #12
djmagic
Inactive

have plugged in the wifes pluscom dongle in my pc and we working fine again..
now have to connect the wifes ??any idea where i need to look on the forum