Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help Needed wired networking

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help Needed wired networking

Old 07-11-2007, 21:46   #1
bringerofnoise
Inactive

Services: 3meg bb + family pack
bringerofnoise has a spectacular aura about thembringerofnoise has a spectacular aura about thembringerofnoise has a spectacular aura about thembringerofnoise has a spectacular aura about them
Help Needed wired networking

Hi all

basically im trying to link a windows xp machine to a windows vista home premium machine.

on the vista machine i seem to be only getting because it's not wireless you got no chance.

i've set up networks before on xp but this is doin my nut in im trying to connect via ethernet to ethernet and the only options on vista are for wireless????

any help greatly appreciated

plz help lol
bringerofnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2007, 21:50   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Help Needed wired networking

All you need to do is connect them together and either set static IPs or run the Networking wizard, then you would be able to share files (technically) what problems are you experiencing beyond that?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 21:55   #3
bringerofnoise
Inactive

bringerofnoise has a spectacular aura about thembringerofnoise has a spectacular aura about thembringerofnoise has a spectacular aura about thembringerofnoise has a spectacular aura about them

ok i connected each machine via ethernet
then i ran the home network wizard on xp - i chose this computer belongs to a network that does not connect to the internet

i'm new to vista (2 days) but it only gives me options for wireless

i just know its gonna be somthing stupid i messed

also no firewalls in operation atm
Old 07-11-2007, 21:59   #4
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringerofnoise View Post
ok i connected each machine via ethernet
then i ran the home network wizard on xp - i chose this computer belongs to a network that does not connect to the internet

i'm new to vista (2 days) but it only gives me options for wireless

i just know its gonna be somthing stupid i messed

also no firewalls in operation atm
Go into the network and sharing center, it should then give an option to "manage connections" i think it is then you should be able to see your wired lan port, if its not there then the driver is missing.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 19:52   #5
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

You need a crossover cable to connect two machines directly together as far as i understand.
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 19:57   #6
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpod View Post
You need a crossover cable to connect two machines directly together as far as i understand.
This is correct, if they are being connected directly to each other (port to port) rather than via a switch/router
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 21:29   #7
bringerofnoise
Inactive

Thanks for the replys chaps & sorry for mega late reply myself.

Basically i chucked the toys out of the pram on the night because i've got the crossover and have used it before, but i just could not get it working and vista would only harp on about wireless networking.

I'm going to get a wireless router (against my religion lol) but i'll be wired whilst everyone else is wireless so hopefully it won't be so bad, all i wanted to do was pass some files accross.

All that been said i have to say vista is a strange beast i like alot of the features and so i'm kinda like "oh this is brilliant" and then the next i want to install something or other and well the i'm like "this is total ****" lol

Hope sp1 makes some much needed improvements and i hope some software companies release some patches because if those things happen i'll buy vista (came pre-installed)

reps to all those that took the time to reply
Old 11-11-2007, 22:48   #8
xpod
Inactive

xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
all i wanted to do was pass some files accross
A simple usb key is a handy thing too
Old 11-11-2007, 23:12   #9
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpod View Post
A simple usb key is a handy thing too

Extremely, I've got a 2gb one and with the prices having dropped so much recently I'm tempted to get a 4 or 8gb one
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 16:25   #10
bringerofnoise
Inactive

All in i needed to transfer 16 gig so in the end i just wrote it to 4 dvd's
and then loaded each dvd on the new pc, very time consuming lol.

Before i'd always just use ethernet to ethernet and transfer them that way, saves on discs and time but now i'm going to get a router so i won't have the problem again, and as a bonus the missus & daughter can go online as well so i'll have my new pc to myself rofl
Old 18-11-2007, 13:01   #11
xpod
Inactive

Quote:
Extremely, I've got a 2gb one and with the prices having dropped so much recently I'm tempted to get a 4 or 8gb one
I have a 2G PNY one myself along with some little 128Mb keyring the wife bought me....It has Puppy Linux installed of course
Attachment 15375

The kids all have the same 1 or 2G PNY things that i do for their schoolwork and stuff but the older two are just logging straight into school now anyway so they dont need to carry their work around now so much.