Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help Needed with a Linksys broadband router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help Needed with a Linksys broadband router

Old 13-04-2007, 14:35   #1
mac5
Inactive

mac5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Help Needed with a Linksys broadband router

Hi

Could anyone help me on this matter I have a linksys WRT54gs-uk broadband router with speed booster on virgin media ( telewest broadband).

When trying to connect the device to my computer As the setup says with all the ethernet cableing. when i get to the password it just keeps coming up all the time like its reject it. i put the password it says from the instruction manual and have also try the ip address with the username and password but this just keeps coming up.

can anyone on here guide me on this matter as also not very good at this as well.
mac5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-04-2007, 14:42   #2
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Re: Help Needed with a Linksys broadband router

Is it a new router? If not, the previous owner may have changed the password.

Try doing a factory reset...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2007, 16:54   #3
mac5
Inactive

Cheers for the help just hope it works ..
Old 14-04-2007, 17:22   #4
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

If it doesn't, post back & I'm sure someone will help...

to the forums by the way!
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2007, 18:08   #5
mac5
Inactive

Still hasn't worked have reset to factory settings but still the password is rejected could anyone please help me on this its probs just some simple thing but i cant get it to work?
Old 13-05-2007, 20:21   #6
Cruachan
Inactive

Cruachan is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac5 View Post
Still hasn't worked have reset to factory settings but still the password is rejected could anyone please help me on this its probs just some simple thing but i cant get it to work?

Don't want to offend - but you are leaving the Username field blank and entering the password as "admin" aren't you? I ask since some people may be used to entering "admin" as a username and "password" as the password for such as the default setting of NETGEAR routers.

And for the "factory reset" you did keep the reset button pressed in long enough? From memory, a "short" press restarts the router - a "long" one does the "factory reset".

If you've done the "factory reset" correctly then you should be back to a password of "admin".
Cruachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2007, 21:52   #7
mac5
Inactive

Yes leaving the username blank and entering admin in the password. am also getting to put a password in when i put the cd rom installion disk in . which i put admin in for that but still nothing happens.

when i enter the http address after 3 times i get a screen comes up with no access.

leaving the reset button pressed for about 30 sec is this long enough?
Old 14-05-2007, 22:46   #8
Cruachan
Inactive

I have to admit that I am stumped ... I have "factory reset" my router a couple of times and have had no problems like this.

I cannot recall having to enter a password when running the CD-ROM that came with the router - I cannot try this at the moment but I will when I get the chance.

I hope some other member can shed some light on this.
Old 14-05-2007, 23:07   #9
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

I personally thought the details for a WRT were admin admin. Worth a try.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2007, 23:10   #10
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

try

userid = root
pasword = admin
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2007, 09:36   #11
Cruachan
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruachan View Post
I have to admit that I am stumped ... I have "factory reset" my router a couple of times and have had no problems like this.

I cannot recall having to enter a password when running the CD-ROM that came with the router - I cannot try this at the moment but I will when I get the chance.

I hope some other member can shed some light on this.
Tried the Installation CD and I see where you are asked for the password when you run it. The password field is already populated with (I presume) the default password, waiting for you to accept that and proceed to connect to the router.

The only thing that I am left to suggest is to power down the router, leaving it for a few minutes, powering it back up, letting it do its self tests and then do a "factory reset" via the buton on the back. If that does not get you anywhere then I am left to assume that there is a fault with the router.