Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Powering up

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Powering up

Old 30-10-2006, 08:46   #1
mart44
Inactive

mart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation era
Powering up

I have two computers, a broadband modem and a Dynamode BR-6004 W-G1 wireless router. The wireless range for the most distant computer proved to be not good enough, so both computers are connected to the router ports via straight ethernet leads (one of those being 25 metres long). The wireless function has been disabled in the router's setup options. This all works OK but there is no Internet connection if the switch-on sequence is wrong. From searching earlier posts here, I read this problem can be overcome by powering up like this:

* Unplug the router and modem from the mains.
* Plug in the router. Wait a few seconds while it run through the self test.
* Plug in the modem and wait for it to fully boot.
* Unplug the router from the mains and plug it straight back in again.

This works OK (thanks) but the question is: Does this need to be done every time or, having been through the procedure once, should something be remembered by the router so I can switch everything on all in one go like I used to before I got the second computer and router?

After doing the above, I powered everything down, waited a minute or so and then switched it all back on at the same time. Everything connected OK and I thought that might be the case from now on. However, when I switched off and left it for a couple of hours, there was no connection again. I got connected by switching the router off for a few seconds and then back on again.

I'm new to running two computers via router so don't know if this is just something I need to get used to.
mart44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-10-2006, 09:02   #2
zing_deleted

Re: Powering up

This isnt written in stone. The power cycle allows the modem to refresh and allocate the ip to the router.

So its power down pc modem and router.
Power on modem wait till its settled
power on router wait till it settles
power on pc job done.

In theory you can add pcs to the router and they will just work but sometimes the router will need to be rebooted or a repair on the network adapter.
Old 30-10-2006, 12:22   #3
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
In theory you can add pcs to the router and they will just work but sometimes the router will need to be rebooted or a repair on the network adapter.
Same thing with Commercial switches. We had ten PCs on a switch all suddenly lose the network. Odd, considering the other 6 were fine. Rebooted the swtich, the 6 PCs temporarily lost their connection, then all 16 came back online.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 20:03   #4
mart44
Inactive

mart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation era

I did what you said zinglebarb. I have switched all items on together a couple of times since then and everything has worked OK. If it doesn't though, I'll know it's not a fault, or a setting that needs changing ...and that's what I was wondering about. Thanks
mart44 is offline   Reply With Quote