Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help - About Wireless Connections

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help - About Wireless Connections

Old 04-10-2006, 15:50   #1
SEB_WW
Inactive

SEB_WW is an unknown quantity at this point
Help - About Wireless Connections

I currently have dial-up internet from NTL. I would like to upgrade to broadband but am not keen on having to run a cable from my NTL box downstairs to my PC upstairs. So can anyone advise me how do I go about connecting wirelessly? I've emailed NTL and they said they don't provide support for this but are offering an Actiontec device (http://www.ntlworld.com/toolsservice...tec/index.php). Now looking at this, I'm still not clear it'll do what I want. Whenever I've searched for help on wireless issues all the talk seems to be about adding additional PCs to an existing wired connection. All I want to do is connect a single PC to broadband without the need for a cable. Can anyone help?
SEB_WW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2006, 16:10   #2
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star
Re: Help - About Wireless Connections

Unless there is a real need for wireless, I would get myself a cable router and two Homeplug devices. Attach the cable modem to the router (ethernet), then the router to one Homeplug device. The other Homeplug device can be put into any electric socket in your home, and will provide the ethernet link to your computer.

For the Homeplug devices, this company are UK-based and have excellent customer support: http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 16:21   #3
SEB_WW
Inactive

mmm, that looks extremely expensive and complicated. Why can't I just buy for example, a Linksys Router? (Like this one - http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx...94959958,50468 )
Old 04-10-2006, 16:29   #4
zing_deleted

to the forum
you will need a wifi network adapter on your pc also if there isnt already one so add a tenner for a cheapo and 20 quid for a good brand to your 50 quid then they will work out similar if you buy a cheap wired router and 2 14mbps homeplugs

cheaper homeplugs here http://www.homeplugshop.co.uk/acatalog/14Mbps.html the price for 2 14mbps there + £48 same price as the router
Old 04-10-2006, 17:03   #5
SEB_WW
Inactive

Thanks for the help so far. I still need further clarification. Just to be absolutely clear - I have an NTL cable coming from outside through the wall downstairs into the front room into a white box on the wall. Will NTL connect a modem to this box? And then I connect a router to that modem? And then I will be able to receive internet upstairs via a wifi adaptor card in my PC? Have I got that right?

And how about these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-WRT5...888663?ie=UTF8

£39.99

And:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KN-W510P-802...&s=electronics

£8.99

Total cost = under 50 quid. What do you reckon?
Old 04-10-2006, 17:20   #6
TheNorm
Inactive

TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEB_WW View Post
Thanks for the help so far. I still need further clarification. Just to be absolutely clear - I have an NTL cable coming from outside through the wall downstairs into the front room into a white box on the wall. Will NTL connect a modem to this box?
Yes.

Quote:
And then I connect a router to that modem?
Yes.

Quote:
And then I will be able to receive internet upstairs via a wifi adaptor card in my PC? Have I got that right?...
Yes, if you buy a wireless router.

I can't comment on wireless routers except to point out that there might be some loss of signal from downstairs to upstairs - a lot depends on the construction of your house, positioning of the antennae, etc. Also, there are potential security problems with wireless. And as Zinglebarb has posted, there really isn't much difference with respect to price. But, the choice is yours.
Old 04-10-2006, 17:35   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
And how about these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-WRT5...888663?ie=UTF8

£39.99

And:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KN-W510P-802...&s=electronics

£8.99

Total cost = under 50 quid. What do you reckon?
The Linksys WRT54GS generally is received positively by CF users. Could be a good choice. To take full advantage of the Speedstep stuff, I'd suggest you get a Linksys Speedstep enabled Wifi card for the Pc rather than another make. Indeed for ease of setup, and also troubleshooting if you do get a problem, stick to one manufacturer.

If you don't have a modem or TV service, ntl will run the cable from the wall box to, within reason, wherever you want the modem to be located in the house. Consider therefore if it's practical for the ntl cable to be run up the outside of your house and then into the first floor room you want. that way you don't need wireless at all
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:25   #8
SEB_WW
Inactive

Found this Sitecom all-in-one broadband wireless router and USB adaptor at Maplin:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...062&T=12293059

Seems a bargain at just £34.99

Any thoughts on this?
Old 05-10-2006, 11:40   #9
TheNorm
Inactive

Quote:
...Any thoughts on this?
Computer Shopper have a report that looks interesting (http://www.computershopper.co.uk/lab.../products.html), although be careful - some of these are for ADSL.
Old 06-10-2006, 16:06   #10
SEB_WW
Inactive

Quote:
Found this Sitecom all-in-one broadband wireless router and USB adaptor at Maplin:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...062&T=12293059

Seems a bargain at just £34.99

Any thoughts on this?
Have now been into Maplin to discuss this and it seems like this will do the job I require more than adequately at a bargain price. NTL installation now booked for Sat 21st. I'll come back then and let you know how I get on!
Old 23-10-2006, 09:45   #11
SEB_WW
Inactive

Quote:
Have now been into Maplin to discuss this and it seems like this will do the job I require more than adequately at a bargain price. NTL installation now booked for Sat 21st. I'll come back then and let you know how I get on!
Well, NTL came round on Saturday and installed their modem. I then installed the Sitecom USB adaptor, then the NTL CD, then connected the Sitecom Router to the NTL modem and that was it! Very, very simple and everything working fine, apart from when the USB adaptor is plugged into the back of the PC the connection is intermittent and much slower. Can't imagine it's to do with difference in signal strength surely? Works fine when plugged into the front of the PC, maybe it's because it's squeezed up against other cables round the back.

Anyway, I can certainly recommend the Sitecom Wireless Router and USB adaptor from Maplin for just £34.99.
Old 23-10-2006, 10:02   #12
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
<Snip> Very, very simple and everything working fine, apart from when the USB adaptor is plugged into the back of the PC the connection is intermittent and much slower. Can't imagine it's to do with difference in signal strength surely? Works fine when plugged into the front of the PC, maybe it's because it's squeezed up against other cables round the back..
Possibly an IRQ conflict if the front ports are on a different hub to the rear ones?
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2006, 19:52   #13
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter

Or mayble the rear USB ports aren't USB2 and the front ones are?
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote