Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus

Old 03-12-2021, 13:40   #181
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Old Boy there’s no reasoning with someone who thinks Covid 19 is a communist plot to keep people in lockdown.

I told you it wouldn’t go away in the summer. It didn’t.
I told you variants would reduce vaccine efficacy. It did.
I said there was no evidence it would become less virulent. There isn’t.

How do you propose to recover the economy when rational actors in the economy stay home - at least some of the time - so they don’t get sick? What proposals do you have to support those businesses your heart bled so much for when they could rely on furlough and other support measures to get them through Christmas? They can’t live on entrepreneurial spirit, OB.
‘ Old Boy there’s no reasoning with someone who thinks Covid 19 is a communist plot to keep people in lockdown.’

I didn’t say that. Another twist. I said Communists like to control people.

‘I told you it wouldn’t go away in the summer. It didn’t.’

The variant we were dealing with then did, actually. It was a new variant that changed the infection rate.

‘I told you variants would reduce vaccine efficacy. It did.’

It was always obvious that mutations could do this, and I warned about that ages ago. However, you only really know what the impact of any new mutation is when it happens. The problem with the latest variant from SA is that the scientists are leaping into control freakery before they actually know we have a problem. You seem blind to the fact that we cannot go on like this, year after year.

‘I said there was no evidence it would become less virulent. There isn’t.’

True. No evidence it will be more so, either. However, thus far, SA infections are not leading to increased hospitalisations over other variants, so we will have to see if that changes.

‘How do you propose to recover the economy when rational actors in the economy stay home - at least some of the time - so they don’t get sick?’

I should imagine that the vast majority will carry on as they do now, going into work. Of course if the government continue to enforce isolation a la pingdemic, it goes without saying we will have a problem, but that is not what I am advocating.

‘What proposals do you have to support those businesses your heart bled so much for when they could rely on furlough and other support measures to get them through Christmas? They can’t live on entrepreneurial spirit’

Except that I am not advocating enforced isolation. You are.

A question for you, however. When we have totally ruined the economy and we are all reduced to poverty, how do you propose the NHS will be funded? You’re the economist, apparently. Knock yourself out.
Old 03-12-2021, 13:42   #182
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
They are dying because we are in the middle of a pandemic.

The only controls that will really work are vaccinations and anti-virals. It’s the unvaccinated that we need to concentrate on, by way of education, not by force.

As for people not wanting to fight for their freedom, have you looked up from your keyboard to see what’s happening in Europe?

You need to modify your personal theories by noting what is happening in the real world.

And if education doesn't work? as would appear to be the case?

---------- Post added at 13:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:41 ----------

Quote:
‘ Old Boy there’s no reasoning with someone who thinks Covid 19 is a communist plot to keep people in lockdown.’

The variant we were dealing with then did, actually. It was a new variant that changed the infection rate.

It was always obvious that mutations could do this, and I warned about that ages ago. However, you only really know what the impact of any new mutation is when it happens. The problem with the latest variant from SA is that the scientists are leaping into control freakery before they actually know we have a problem. You seem blind to the fact that we cannot go on like this, year after year.

True. No evidence it will be more so, either. However, thus far, SA infections are not leading to increased hospitalisations over other variants, so we will have to see if that changes.

‘How do you propose to recover the economy when rational actors in the economy stay home - at least some of the time - so they don’t get sick?’

I should imagine that the vast majority will carry on as they do now, going into work. Of course if the government continue to enforce isolation a la pingdemic, of course we will have a problem, but that is not what I am advocating.

‘What proposals do you have to support those businesses your heart bled so much for when they could rely on furlough and other support measures to get them through Christmas? They can’t live on entrepreneurial spirit’

A question for you, however. When we have totally ruined the economy and we are all reduced to poverty, how do you propose the NHS will be funded? You’re the economist, apparently. Knock yourself out.

You also said scientists wanted to control us, and you still have justified or explained that gibberish either ?
Old 03-12-2021, 13:48   #183
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
So there is value in delaying infection. As a result rational actors in the economy will self select themselves out of it in the meantime.

Protestors commit crimes, damage property, attack the police. If they went to Oxford or Cambridge that’d just be the May Day riots.

Extrapolating meaning beyond that to suit your own agenda is equally not valuable.
Is it you saying there is value in delaying infection? That’s not what I think, unless it is to delay while we get a known solution rolled out. There’s really no point in that now we have the vaccines.

Your comment about protests does not answer my point at all.

I think you are the one who likes to extrapolate to suit your own agenda - there’s plenty of evidence of that in your string of posts.
Old 03-12-2021, 13:49   #184
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post

Unless im mistaken you were talking about eating, smoking & drinking and that the government didnt get involved there in regards to the risk of peoples health

(Paraphrasing)
yes, and what has that got to do with drink driving?
Old 03-12-2021, 13:51   #185
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
And if education doesn't work? as would appear to be the case?

---------- Post added at 13:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:41 ----------

You also said scientists wanted to control us, and you still have justified or explained that gibberish either ?
I certainly don’t agree with enforced inoculations!

I think most people understand what I mean when I say the scientists want to control us. They have frightened a portion of the public senseless, offered up wildly inflated future scenarios and come at us continually demanding more action restricting our freedoms. How can you not understand this?
Old 03-12-2021, 13:52   #186
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:

I should imagine that the vast majority will carry on as they do now, going into work. Of course if the government continue to enforce isolation a la pingdemic, it goes without saying we will have a problem, but that is not what I am advocating.

Use the quote function as intended OB. Not doing so is only going to make it more tedious for everyone else to wade through.

I like the fact that, as someone who can’t answer my question on the economy, you’ve thrown one back at me. You can’t get off that easy - many in the hospitality sector have been key to your internal thinking on restrictions - how do you propose to support them when people take personal responsibility and stay home? Do you propose to support them at all? The spiral of economic damage is inevitable.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 13:52   #187
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
yes, and what has that got to do with drink driving?
Why is drink driving illegal ?
Old 03-12-2021, 13:53   #188
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Are you trying to evade the argument?
Old 03-12-2021, 13:54   #189
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Is it you saying there is value in delaying infection? That’s not what I think, unless it is to delay while we get a known solution rolled out. There’s really no point in that now we have the vaccines.

Your comment about protests does not answer my point at all.

I think you are the one who likes to extrapolate to suit your own agenda - there’s plenty of evidence of that in your string of posts.
Still no answers.
Old 03-12-2021, 13:55   #190
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
I certainly don’t agree with enforced inoculations!

I think most people understand what I mean when I say the scientists want to control us. They have frightened a portion of the public senseless, offered up wildly inflated future scenarios and come at us continually demanding more action restricting our freedoms. How can you not understand this?
Oh well, let's hope it doesn't come to that, mind, you're free to leave the country if you don't agree

Here's the thing with science, it evolves and constantly changes.

How are you being restricted now?

You're not being restricted, you're being inconvenienced. there's a big difference.

The blame for sensationalism rests more so with the media than it does the boffins
Old 03-12-2021, 13:56   #191
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Use the quote function as intended OB. Not doing so is only going to make it more tedious for everyone else to wade through.

I like the fact that, as someone who can’t answer my question on the economy, you’ve thrown one back at me. You can’t get off that easy - many in the hospitality sector have been key to your internal thinking on restrictions - how do you propose to support them when people take personal responsibility and stay home? Do you propose to support them at all? The spiral of economic damage is inevitable.
OK, is this better?

As for your last comment, people should be going to work, not staying at home unless legally required to do so. And I do not believe there is any necessity to impose such a requirement at present.
Old 03-12-2021, 13:56   #192
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Are you trying to evade the argument?
It's an obvious question,

We didn't ban drink driving for a laugh, we banned it because of the health risk to both oneself and the wider public.
Old 03-12-2021, 14:05   #193
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I'm not playing childish games with you, make your point or go and annoy someone else.
Old 03-12-2021, 14:17   #194
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I'm not playing childish games with you, make your point or go and annoy someone else.
It's been made, don't spoil what's been an entertaining couple of days of discussion by resorting to 'bratty Piere'
Old 03-12-2021, 14:55   #195
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
OK, is this better?
No, but I'll persevere.

Quote:
I fail to see the distinction.

Quote:
Hahaha quite the straw you are clutching at there. The original Covid variant will be replaced by a worse one was clearly not the intent of your ludicrous claims.

Quote:
Yet you've denied or ignore the impact of this despite it being 'obvious' to you in retrospect.

Quote:
However this wasn't your claim - another classic movement of goalposts from you, OB. I'd have an easier time nailing jelly to a wall.

Quote:
People aren't cancelling bookings in restaurants and hotels because of a so called pingdemic, Old Boy. They don't want to catch Covid.

Quote:

So you have no proposals to support the distressed sections of the economy, other than encouraging individuals to act against their own rational interests to avoid illness?

Quote:
As for your last comment, people should be going to work, not staying at home unless legally required to do so. And I do not believe there is any necessity to impose such a requirement at present.
Again this isn't linked to the downturn in hospitality bookings. Answer the question as asked - given the downturn in hospitality do you propose doing anything to support this sector? Surely we must do all we can to offer financial support to these budding entrepreneurs? Who will fund the NHS if they. go under?