Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Smart Meter Con

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Smart Meter Con

Old 11-03-2023, 16:29   #136
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: The Smart Meter Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
My smart meter has saved me a ton of money, but I still see often people not wanting them.
More a case of not trusting them I think, or more specifically, the companies controlling them.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2023, 16:41   #137
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Welsh Water has is going for a big push to fit Smart Water Meters to ALL customer's supplies.

They say it will "help" households use less water and save money. But once the majority have them, I bet the unit rate will rise to return income to previous levels. And then the annual increases will surge I bet.
Not for Wales , just for profit and big bonuses
Old 12-03-2023, 05:18   #138
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth
Feel a bit guilty now because he only sounded a young lad and I could tell he was nervous, but he shouldn't be allowed to ring people up and try to bully them however much they laugh at his outlandish claims.
Dont feel bad.. You stood up to him,he shouldnt be adding to the fear mongering!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 10:32   #139
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of society

Quote:
Even Martin is telling people now the only non SVR tariff worth considering is Octopus agile (although the normal trackers are also good).

My smart meter has saved me a ton of money, but I still see often people not wanting them.
What he said. My bill is halved.
Ms NTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 10:50   #140
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Even Martin is telling people now the only non SVR tariff worth considering is Octopus agile (although the normal trackers are also good).

To some people, the “ton of money” is less important than letting the company/state have its hands on your energy switch.

We can save a ton of money by turning the Hive setting down to a tolerable temperature and adding a layer of clothes.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 11:06   #141
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

A smart meter can only “save” you a ton of money if you change your consumption.

If the devices are out there scaring folk into being cold to save money that can - and absolutely will - have longer term implications on the health of those falling into the trap.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 11:13   #142
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
A smart meter can only “save” you a ton of money if you change your consumption.

If the devices are out there scaring folk into being cold to save money that can - and absolutely will - have longer term implications on the health of those falling into the trap.
or if it allows you on a Tracker Tariff. Octopus now only allow you on it with a Smart Meter. And for at least 6 months the Tracker Tariffs have saved people money
Old 12-03-2023, 13:11   #143
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

Not quite.

I am actually paying lower unit rates on my smart meter tariff. The actual unit cost is lower.

In addition my old dumb meter was faulty, it got escalated, they refused to test it, so I ended up ordering a smart meter to "force" the meter been removed, and then the readings for the same usage were considerably lower. I ended up getting a rebate for nearly 2 grand.

Octopus also last April tried to raise my DD to an amount that was about 4x my bills, I told the operator to check my smart meter readings and she fixed it within a minute after that, I expect with a dumb meter I would have had a harder time getting them to fix.

I have even been paid to use electric for periods.

---------- Post added at 13:11 ---------- Previous post was at 13:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
To some people, the “ton of money” is less important than letting the company/state have its hands on your energy switch.

We can save a ton of money by turning the Hive setting down to a tolerable temperature and adding a layer of clothes.
I can understand that to a degree but then the question is what kind of actions are they fearing?

We have seen in the news e.g. that with a dumb meter, warrants can still be obtained to force people onto prepay or to disconnect supply, a smart meter isnt required for that.

For reference I already do layer up and only sparingly use my GCH.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 14:27   #144
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I don’t like the idea of the power company being able to turn me off at their whim. I don’t anticipate struggling to pay my bills. I also hope that they can’t switch mew to a higher tariff at peak times. We are being conned.

Old 12-03-2023, 14:28   #145
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I don’t like the idea of the power company being able to turn me off at their whim. I don’t anticipate struggling to pay my bills. I also hope that they can’t switch mew to a higher tariff at peak times. We are being conned.
It’s when they start differentiated pricing at peak times everyone who got one will panic.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 14:33   #146
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

I have a dumb meter for gas, and still paying the unit price from 2021 so still very cheap for me. I don't get why people want a smart meter, it'll be something that you will keep checking and worrying about where I'm happy to just pay what I use. That and they can change the charges when they want can't be a good thing.

Edit...

'Smart meters to save UK households only £11 a year, report finds' - Various sources...

So £11 for the stress of watching a meter, trying to turn off things that you won't usually bother in hope of saving less than a quid a month... Not for me.

Last edited by peanut; 12-03-2023 at 14:56.
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 15:04   #147
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
What Seph said.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 15:15   #148
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I have a dumb meter for gas, and still paying the unit price from 2021 so still very cheap for me. I don't get why people want a smart meter, it'll be something that you will keep checking and worrying about where I'm happy to just pay what I use. That and they can change the charges when they want can't be a good thing.

Edit...

'Smart meters to save UK households only £11 a year, report finds' - Various sources...

So £11 for the stress of watching a meter, trying to turn off things that you won't usually bother in hope of saving less than a quid a month... Not for me.
Well you on an expired tariff so yeah you paying obsolete cheaper prices now, you in for a shock when the tariff runs out though, although looks like you have ridden through the worst of it as its forecasted for prices to drop in July. (although will still be at least 2x 2021 pricing).

The thing you mentioned about constantly watching your usage would be the in home display device, mine is powered off. However I dont think its a bad thing if a smart meter and/or the IHD can help identify a energy guzzling device in the home.

It is a free country and I think choice is king, but I dont think smart meters are some kind of trick to con people. The obvious benefits and motivations for a supplier to want people to have smart meters is we can be done away with estimated readings, so many people have bills based on estimated not actual usage.

I also think time of use tariffs are the future. Let people benefit from cheap off peak energy. Its a shame only Octopus is modernising and the rest of the industry is stuck in old ways.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 15:22   #149
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Well you on an expired tariff so yeah you paying obsolete cheaper prices now, you in for a shock when the tariff runs out though, although looks like you have ridden through the worst of it as its forecasted for prices to drop in July. (although will still be at least 2x 2021 pricing).

The thing you mentioned about constantly watching your usage would be the in home display device, mine is powered off. However I dont think its a bad thing if a smart meter and/or the IHD can help identify a energy guzzling device in the home.

It is a free country and I think choice is king, but I dont think smart meters are some kind of trick to con people. The obvious benefits and motivations for a supplier to want people to have smart meters is we can be done away with estimated readings, so many people have bills based on estimated not actual usage.

I also think time of use tariffs are the future. Let people benefit from cheap off peak energy. Its a shame only Octopus is modernising and the rest of the industry is stuck in old ways.
I agree, but I have enough on the meter for a good few of years yet, but I budget for everything. If or when it goes up it's not a problem. The refund from the £400 for bills has been put aside for just that, but for me it doesn't change anything, just using it for the intended purposes. My point is there's more to life than watching a figure go up on a meter and try to figure out what else you can turn off when it doesn't really amount to much.
Old 12-03-2023, 15:23   #150
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Time of use tariff can only benefit the supplier. No way can it benefit the customer. In this century, we should be able to have power on tap at a uniform price 24x7x365.\