Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Loyalty penalties to be banned.Car & Home insurance.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Loyalty penalties to be banned.Car & Home insurance.

Old 28-05-2021, 15:37   #1
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Loyalty penalties to be banned.Car & Home insurance.

Loyalty penalty ban to save insurance customers £4.2bn.

From next January, car and home insurance renewal quotes may not be any more expensive than those offered to new customers.

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-re...urance-markets

After renegotiating the quotes given on both policies down to new customer levels our Car and Home insurance company (Saga) gave us a 3 year fixed price Insurance premium on both the policies last year.

Slightly dearer than some other company's quotes last year but this year what we have paid is very competitive with other quotes I found on comparison sites. .

It will be interesting to see how the new legislation works and how it effects costing for both customers and insurers.
Old 28-05-2021, 15:47   #2
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Loyalty penalties to be banned.Car & Home insurance.

Good news for insurance purchasers. Let's hope if this is successful that the same principle is applied to other service providers like gas, electricity and broadband.
Old 28-05-2021, 16:13   #3
joglynne
Born again teenager.

joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

I have to admit I would also love to hear that other service providers, including VM, would be subject to the same rules sometime in the future. I hate having to phone up to renegotiate my discounts every year.
Old 28-05-2021, 16:53   #4
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

surely, what these means is, that they'll just not apply a new business discount, so what that means, is that I'll save 5 mins every year by not going to a comparison site, but won't get the benefit of changing to a cheaper tarif by being a new customer elsewhere, and they won't bother offering loyalty discounts, why would they, they don't now, as they know most ppl are too lazy to change, so only the insurance co benefits
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 17:00   #5
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

How is this going to save customers anything ?

All that will happen is they no longer discount new customers, so everyone will pay the higher prices. Great for the complanies, not for the customers.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 17:13   #6
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
How is this going to save customers anything ?

All that will happen is they no longer discount new customers, so everyone will pay the higher prices. Great for the complanies, not for the customers.
I had assumed that there would still price comparison sites and that companies would still need to compete for customers?

Surely that competition will temper price hikes. Or am I being very naive?
Old 28-05-2021, 17:22   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

By their very nature, price comparison sites only display first year premiums. In fact the growth of price comparison sites is probably the reason this problem has come to exist. Insurers are heavily discounting the first year in the hope that people won't switch every year.

As the price comparison sites will continue to exist, there is limited scope for wholesale price hiking in the industry. All it takes is for one disruptive competitor to keep their prices lower, and they scoop up the business at everyone else's expense.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 17:29   #8
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
By their very nature, price comparison sites only display first year premiums. In fact the growth of price comparison sites is probably the reason this problem has come to exist. Insurers are heavily discounting the first year in the hope that people won't switch every year.

As the price comparison sites will continue to exist, there is limited scope for wholesale price hiking in the industry. All it takes is for one disruptive competitor to keep their prices lower, and they scoop up the business at everyone else's expense.
That's what I assumed. I guess we shall have to wait and see.
Old 28-05-2021, 17:46   #9
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Saga said they could beat any other company, then slapped a £50 "arrangement fee" onto the total. That made them £42 more expensive than their nearest rival like-for-like. So I changed company.

I think these "arrangement fees" might appear more often, as they are not ACTUALLY part of the premium.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2021, 17:47   #10
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

This is terrible news for those clever enough to search for better deals and rewards the stupid who are unable to get their heads round searching for better deals.

All those who search will be paying more from now on
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 00:24   #11
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Whilst I agree with the premise of what you say and I shall be amongst those that will lose out, the idea that it has anything to do with being 'clever' or 'stupid' is
as arrogant as it is ignorant.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 00:34   #12
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Whilst I agree with the premise of what you say and I shall be amongst those that will lose out, the idea that it has anything to do with being 'clever' or 'stupid' is
as arrogant as it is ignorant.
The number of people over the years I have tried to encourage to check for better deals but can not be bothered to put the effort in led me to my opinion
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2021, 01:25   #13
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
The number of people over the years I have tried to encourage to check for better deals but can not be bothered to put the effort in led me to my opinion
Inertia isn't the only reason why some people don't shop around though.

Some people are not computer savvy, are neuro diverse, elderly etc. There was a piece on this earlier where it showed a retired senior accountant who had been overpaying for years by about £800 per annum. He wasn't stupid, he just didn't know how to use a computer, was 84 and suffering from dementia.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote