Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VMB: Hitron CGNV4-5 Static IPS

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

VMB: Hitron CGNV4-5 Static IPS

Old 20-05-2021, 22:37   #16
waterfallm
cf.member

waterfallm is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: VMB: Hitron CGNV4-5 Static IPS

Not too sure who i'm talking to here but it's got to be better than VMB Tech Support.

With GRE details removed and router back to factory setting ping stats look good but i'm unable to access the Internet.

Single client on DHCP IP addr issued 192.168.0.10 unable to ping 8.8.8.8 but pinging router OK.

Within the Router GUI also unable to ping 8.8.8.8 using the diagnostics tab. Error "Ping failed bad address 'none'"

Double checked with VMB teech support to see if anything required on there end and kinda got a no, but not confident after 3 calls to different agents.

Re-entering GRE details then i'm able to ping 8.8.8.8 from GUI again. bit client not routing from 192.168.0.x range but if i assign GRE range client can access the internet.

Something feels very odd about being unable to router out from 192.168.0.x range and alos not being able to get to 8.8.8.8 from router GUI.
waterfallm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-05-2021, 22:56   #17
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

The reason is that the Hitron firmware gets in first and tries to set up the non-specified GRE. The settings in the Hitron make sure of that. It's several years since I had the VMB service on the Hitron and I've forgotten all the GUI settings. But you should get into the Hitron GUI, turn the GRE stuff off, select modem mode, connect your router and go from there.

Others on this forum like Mr Carmock might be able to be more detailed on doing this.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2021, 23:11   #18
waterfallm
cf.member

Final post for today...

First good call had with VMB obviously got lucky towards the end of shift to get someone knowledgable.

Accounts with 5+ static IPS need some reconfig work doing before the modem can operate using dynamic IP whcih can only be done in the morning.

Also acknowledge some other customers are having issues with GRE and have also reverted to dynamic IP setup.
Old 21-05-2021, 12:27   #19
waterfallm
cf.member

Right good news... Just after 0900 this morning i got customer service to swtich account to Dynamic IP. Within 20 mins router started playing ball and allow DHCP connected devices to pass traffic.

Been testing for last 2 hrs and all looks good.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broad...96500d07bf90de
Old 21-05-2021, 17:10   #20
waterfallm
cf.member

No Cigar i'm affraid... even with Dynamic IP network transfrs keep dropping out.. switch back to EE Fibre and all as expected i can max out bandwidth with <5% packet loss with VMB Cable this result in spikes of 50% packet loss.

So it's down to me to contact others in my area to see if they have network connectivity.
Old 29-05-2021, 18:40   #21
waterfallm
cf.member

Some good news now in modem mode and the circuit seems to be stable.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broad...811-29-05-2021

I've had soem advise to operate the downsteam device MTU set to 1440 i might give dynamic routed mode a try next week.
Old 29-05-2021, 18:55   #22
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfallm View Post
Some good news now in modem mode and the circuit seems to be stable.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broad...811-29-05-2021

I've had soem advise to operate the downsteam device MTU set to 1440 i might give dynamic routed mode a try next week.
You'd only want to reduce the MTU from 1500 when you are in non-dynamic routed ode (GRE tunnel). The tunnel overhead is 28 bytes which suggests a MTU of 1472 bytes.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2021, 11:46   #23
waterfallm
cf.member

Cool so maybe later this evening i'll try chucking back into stnamic mode and play around with setting to get a better stability... You never know they(VMB) might of solved something on there end while i've be trying to fault find.