Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future of television

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion

The future of television

Old 04-03-2021, 22:42   #46
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
There’s no contradiction. The pre-recorded programmes would be on demand and the live programmes would be streamed. Obviously, each live stream would start when the live action started (as it does now on Amazon).

The use of the word ‘linear’ was meant to refer to our traditional TV channels. It was widely described in this way on the internet at that time. Unfortunately, I didn’t bargain for all the nit-picking that would result from this on the forum. Silly me.

Anyway, let’s move on. All of that was five years ago. Time to get over it. It’s much more interesting to talk about various scenarios that may transpire in the coming years.

Except for those who cannot bear the thought that all those channel numbers might actually disappear over the next decade or so and don’t want to even try to imagine that.

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:42 ----------

Baiting again, jfman?
But that isn’t what we are saying - we are saying there will still be (delivered by IPTV, DTT, or whatever) a regular schedule of programmes, running throughout the morning, day, and evening, running on after each other, just like now - there may not be as many channels as now, but there will a reasonable number.

That is completely different from "The pre-recorded programmes would be on demand and the live programmes would be streamed. Obviously, each live stream would start when the live action started".

I think they will co-exist, not be mutually exclusive...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2021, 22:55   #47
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

This is exactly why I'm trying to pin down the definition of linear which OB refuses to deliver.

We've not even touched on the Pluto TV contradiction yet.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 02:29   #48
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

I said at the time closing BBC3 was a ridiculously stupid decision.

BBC1- General entertainment BBC2- High brow shows BBC3- Teen/twenty year old shows BBC4- High brow shows a little more high brow

When trying to save money how on earth did the BBC executives think "oh....lets save BBC4 which pretty much gives the same type of show as BBC2 rather than focus on the younger generation who we need to keep the license fee going"

I say that as someone who supports the BBC too. It was beyond thick. Whoever made that decision would appear to have graduated from thickerson university with a degree in thickery.

Should have closed BBC4 and merged it with BBC2. Kept BBC3 open. If you'd wanted the young audience you could have just had some classic bbc kids shows between 10am-6pm and got the millenials to watch the shows they watched as kids. Look how well that show from CBBC about the girl who was in the childrens home.
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:18   #49
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

The thing is it didn't really save as much as portrayed as they still had to develop BBC 3 type content for broadcast on BBC 3 and in small portions at random hours on BBC One.

All that changed, unsurprisingly, is that nobody watched it due to a lack of prominence.

Going from 7 (Freeview), 106 (cable and Freesat), 115 (Sky) to hidden away at the back of an app is in no way, shape or form comparable.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:38   #50
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbxxl View Post
Channel 4 was the start of the decline...
No, Sky and satellite/cable tv was start of the decline. We wanted quantity over quality and we got it.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 09:11   #51
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
No, Sky and satellite/cable tv was start of the decline. We wanted quantity over quality and we got it.
I don't think the original analogue Sky/cable services were awful in terms of balance.

Then digital came along and suddenly you had capacity for hundreds of channels. Which has always been my point around linear channels - they are extremely cheap to operate if you own the content anyway.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:49   #52
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

With 7 (seven) minutes of adverts every 15 minutes, I think it's more about revenue than content
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 16:33   #53
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
This is exactly why I'm trying to pin down the definition of linear which OB refuses to deliver.
Google is your friend ;

Quote:
Linear TV is a traditional system in which a viewer watches a scheduled TV program at the time it's broadcast and on its original channel. It also can be recorded via DVR and watched later.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 18:25   #54
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

This isn't about the future of television but as the Netflix/Streaming Services thread is now closed with people redirected to this thread I guess this is the place to post streaming service news.......

Starzplay are currently offering a deal of 6 months at £1:99 a month and Eurosport are offering a 12 month sub for £19:99.

If its inappropriate to share this news here please can a mod tell me where I should share it now the natural home for such news has closed its doors?
buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 19:12   #55
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
This isn't about the future of television but as the Netflix/Streaming Services thread is now closed with people redirected to this thread I guess this is the place to post streaming service news.......

Starzplay are currently offering a deal of 6 months at £1:99 a month and Eurosport are offering a 12 month sub for £19:99.

If its inappropriate to share this news here please can a mod tell me where I should share it now the natural home for such news has closed its doors?
Please feel free to start a new thread for this - if you give it a title reflecting the fact that it’s for news and announcements that would be great. The old thread was just too cluttered with ... well. You see it here now.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 19:24   #56
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Google is your friend ;

I'm 100% on board with that definition.
Old 05-03-2021, 19:49   #57
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
I'm 100% on board with that definition.
I think most people are, and quite a lot of us have posted something similar...
Old 05-03-2021, 20:16   #58
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I think most people are, and quite a lot of us have posted something similar...
I think there are two separate, legitimate discussions to be had. However they are entirely separate, as scheduled linear over IP is still linear.

Richard has raised the most pertinent point about DTT - it'd likely to be scaled back, maintaining a baseline, rather than one big switch off.
Old 06-03-2021, 21:08   #59
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I think there are two separate, legitimate discussions to be had. However they are entirely separate, as scheduled linear over IP is still linear.

Richard has raised the most pertinent point about DTT - it'd likely to be scaled back, maintaining a baseline, rather than one big switch off.
But as Hugh’s definition clarifies, it’s not recordable over IP.

---------- Post added at 20:08 ---------- Previous post was at 20:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
But that isn’t what we are saying - we are saying there will still be (delivered by IPTV, DTT, or whatever) a regular schedule of programmes, running throughout the morning, day, and evening, running on after each other, just like now - there may not be as many channels as now, but there will a reasonable number.

That is completely different from "The pre-recorded programmes would be on demand and the live programmes would be streamed. Obviously, each live stream would start when the live action started".

I think they will co-exist, not be mutually exclusive...
I think what will happen is that programmes will appear on designated days, just like on other streamers. Only the live stuff will commence at a particular time later in the day.

You’ve only got to look at Amazon to see how this is likely to work.

Yes, it’s just a different method of delivery, but I have never claimed otherwise. But the way we access the content will feel very different from now.
Old 06-03-2021, 21:23   #60
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
But as Hugh’s definition clarifies, it’s not recordable over IP.

---------- Post added at 20:08 ---------- Previous post was at 20:03 ----------

I think what will happen is that programmes will appear on designated days, just like on other streamers. Only the live stuff will commence at a particular time later in the day.

You’ve only got to look at Amazon to see how this is likely to work.

Yes, it’s just a different method of delivery, but I have never claimed otherwise. But the way we access the content will feel very different from now.
Eh?

You can already record IPTV...

https://www.simplehelp.net/2019/12/1...n-iptv-stream/

ON your second point, you’re still saying there won’t be a daily schedule of timed programmes running one after another (like we have now), just scheduled live "stuff"?

I beg to disagree.