Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router Issuing 2 IPs for 1 device

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Network my HDD - help please

Old 25-06-2021, 11:57   #1
smallclone
cf.geek

Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light
Network my HDD - help please

Right then. I am looking to find a way to put my Seagate USB expansion drive on my network so my media player can see the files on it.

The expansion drive is noisy. Really noisy. So it can't go directly into the media player, and there are no extra mains points anyway.

I have a D Link router that is in router mode from my VM Superhub. I can't put the drive into that as it's in the same area as the media player. Too noisy. Really very noisy. And not enough plug sockets.

So, I have:

A switch that I use downstairs that is connected wired to my D-Link router. Into this switch is another Netgear router that I use for extra wifi coverage (I think I've turned DHCP off). The question is....can I use this to put a USB drive on somehow and share it? The drive does not have an ethernet connection. Just USB, and I've tried putting the drive into the USB of the Netgear router but it doesn't show up on my network, presumably as that function is turned off now (is this right? should it be usable?)

Can it be done? Either through the Netgear router or the switch somehow? or am I out of luck? Thanks.
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-06-2021, 12:10   #2
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Network my HDD - help please

Have you read the manuals of the router that has a USB to ascertain what the function of it is?

I would also wonder why the drive is so noisy

Do you have a laptop or a tower? you could always add the drive to that and share it across the network.

Also your wired Network seems really complicated do you use all the lan ports ?
I personally would get rid of most of it in favour of a Mech system ( you can backhaul one to another ) and switches if you need the nics
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 12:20   #3
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

If you didn't want to have a full PC running all the time something small like a Raspberry Pi could run a media server and interface the drive to your network
Old 25-06-2021, 12:28   #4
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

The drive won't show up as a network drive on the Netgear router/switch.
Netgear seem to have something called ReadySHARE.
Quote:
Why you want it
  • Connect a USB hard drive to your router and access that data from any device connected to your home network
  • Once you’ve connected your external USB drive you can stream your media and backup your computer to the connected USB storage device.
Whether that applies to your model of Netgear router is another matter.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 12:39   #5
smallclone
cf.geek

Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
The drive won't show up as a network drive on the Netgear router/switch.
Netgear seem to have something called ReadySHARE.
Whether that applies to your model of Netgear router is another matter.
Yeah I don't think it does, but thanks.

---------- Post added at 11:37 ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
If you didn't want to have a full PC running all the time something small like a Raspberry Pi could run a media server and interface the drive to your network
Now then, that's a great idea, I have just the device I think. I should have thought of this.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Have you read the manuals of the router that has a USB to ascertain what the function of it is?

I would also wonder why the drive is so noisy

Do you have a laptop or a tower? you could always add the drive to that and share it across the network.

Also your wired Network seems really complicated do you use all the lan ports ?
I personally would get rid of most of it in favour of a Mech system ( you can backhaul one to another ) and switches if you need the nics
It's a pretty cheap Seagate expansion drive, so I guess it's noisy because of that. No extra laptop or tower to put it in.

The wired network is complicated yes but it's the only way I can get the devices working that I need. I prefer wired to anything else, just for peace of mind.
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote