Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Updated] New petrol & diesel car sales banned from 2030

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

[Updated] New petrol & diesel car sales banned from 2030

Old 26-07-2017, 13:55   #16
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Petrol & diesel vehicles ban.

yes the future looks bright

the moon base

colony on mars

warp drive

fusion power stations

world hunger up due to planet covered in solar panels

anyway must go i need to shovel some more coal into the stove
Old 26-07-2017, 13:56   #17
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Again I think this will be a problem that largely takes care of itself. I would be surprised if, by 2030, there are still anything other than a small number of new cars being sold with petrol engines. I think that by 2040 not only will we have seen the end of petrol based engines in consumer cars but that the transition to electric cars on the roads will have largely taken place. You can then use the tax system to weed out the minority of bangers still chugging along - that's if a lack of petrol stations hasn't forced the issue for them already.
We can't wait that long. The first announcement is for softening up purposes. We will go electric well before then. I'm thinking 2025 but really, the sooner the better. The car industry will be shifting its priorities apace.

It's all good news; ignore Papa Luddite
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 14:03   #18
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I do think 2040 is unambitious. To be honest I think it's a fudge that the government knows requires little effort on their part. Sort of like setting a news year resolution to eat more, gonna happen anyway.

I think 2025 is a good target to hit to be honest. Most car manufacturers are looking at electric engines. You could say new cars by 2025(ish) have to be electric but allowing 2nd hand cars. 2040 should be the target for the banning of petrol based cars from the roads entirely. Under the current goal someone could buy a petrol based car on December 31st 2039 and drive it for more than 10 years. (although as I said I think it's unlikely to be easy to find such a car by 2030s).

Last edited by Damien; 26-07-2017 at 14:08.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 14:18   #19
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Aside from the massive problems of having enough electricity to charge all these cars, what about the batteries ? To use a phrase, lithium does not grow on trees. Its doubtful there is enough to actually make (and keep replacing) all the required batteries.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 14:21   #20
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Aside from the massive problems of having enough electricity to charge all these cars, what about the batteries ? To use a phrase, lithium does not grow on trees. Its doubtful there is enough to actually make (and keep replacing) all the required batteries.
they'll just make batteries out of libtardium
Old 26-07-2017, 14:21   #21
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

If you go back 23 years than most batteries weren't Lithium based as far as I know. I'd think most in electronic use were based on Nickel (Ni-Cd or Ni-MH).

So I hope we have a similar movement to a different battery technology that is sustainable.
Old 26-07-2017, 14:26   #22
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

So we are basing out entire transport system on a hope ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 14:27   #23
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
We're basing it on that fact that if we continue with Petrol and Diesel then we're may literally be killing people.
Old 26-07-2017, 14:29   #24
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
there's always notmuchofitaboutium - this all sounds like a bad episode of tomorrow's world
Old 26-07-2017, 14:30   #25
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Im actually at the point now of giving serious thought to trading in my rather thirsty (but much fun) V10 for a Tesla model S

Plenty of charging points nr where i work and a charging point in my house (which the previous owner had fitted free by the government)

My petrolhead fix is still met by the bikes

---------- Post added at 13:30 ---------- Previous post was at 13:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
We're basing it on that fact that if we continue with Petrol and Diesel then we're may literally be killing people.

You could argue that the world is already over populated....
Old 26-07-2017, 14:30   #26
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

We're pretty much completely reliant on the internet and related technologies for our society to work. That wasn't the case 23 years ago. And that's happened without any plan.

So I don't see if being a problem to specifically state an aim to move away from a technology in quite a long timeframe.
Old 26-07-2017, 14:44   #27
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS View Post
Heres to hopeing electric cars can do 600miles per charge like my diesel lol
... and refill it in 2 mins as opposed to many hours during which your car is useless. That's great in an emergency isn't it but maybe HMG is going to ban emergencies in 2035...

There's not much pleasure left in driving these days and having to worry about running out of juice only detracts further from what little is left.

I might consider buying a hybrid vehicle at some point but can't foresee a time when I'd want to rely purely on battery power.

Last edited by Osem; 26-07-2017 at 14:58.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 14:59   #28
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
... and refill it in 2 mins as opposed to many hours during which your car is useless. That's great in an emergency isn't it but maybe HMG is going to ban emergencies in 2035...

There's not much pleasure left in driving these days and having to worry about running out of juice only detracts further from what little is left.
there ok for a shopping car as long as you have a charging point at home but if you come to cleethorpes bring a generator with you we have 2 charging points and they don't work
Old 26-07-2017, 15:22   #29
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
there ok for a shopping car as long as you have a charging point at home but if you come to cleethorpes bring a generator with you we have 2 charging points and they don't work
No doubt generators will be outlawed too.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2017, 15:26   #30
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
No doubt generators will be outlawed too.
if this is about clean air then what about flying ? aviation fuel is way too cheap and only encourages excessive flying and as a result more pollution .