Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 24-05-2020, 16:26   #1366
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
As you know, back in the day, the media was often using the words 'linear TV' to describe the conventional TV channels and the title of this thread reflects that.

As a matter of interest, I did start a new thread with a more appropriate title, but Chris closed it some time back.
A) I don’t know that - I used to, and still do, call "conventional TV channels" "channels"
B) "back in the day" = June 2017

To me (ymmv) ‘back in the day" was "the Troubles" or "Cold War Berlin"...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 24-05-2020 at 17:32.
Advertisement
Old 24-05-2020, 19:00   #1367
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Ah today’s straw man. None of this is my preference, it’s my prediction based on observable reality and economics.

As you say, twenty years ago we didn’t have “on demand”. And in twenty years, despite the depth and breadth of content on it, people still watch live linear television. As with Sky+ and other PVR products. You still haven’t sold me on what streaming offers has that on demand and a PVR doesn’t in terms of convenience to the average end user who has thus far resisted or relied on a mix of live, timeshifted and on demand.

I’ve said a million times I have three streaming services (now four actually I’ve got 6 months free Apple TV+).

This isn’t about what I wan’t - if it was up to me we’d have nationalised the cable network and extended build in the 90s to deliver TV and broadband services that way with minimal satellite and terrestrial offerings. That way we’d have then had a genuinely future proof national network then rather than be finding £5bn in state intervention to plug the gaps the commercial networks won’t reach by 2025. However I digress...
When Amazon or a similar player takes over Premiership football, you may think rather differently. Streaming at the moment is certainly a lot less popular than on demand viewing is when compared with live events on conventional TV channels, but I believe that this will be the only choice in the future, because that's how these global players want to do it.

---------- Post added at 18:00 ---------- Previous post was at 17:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
A) I don’t know that - I used to, and still do, call "conventional TV channels" "channels"
Most people were calling them linear channels, as did I, until the pedants attempted to rubbish the whole argument being presented by saying that streaming is also a linear channel (which it is, of course, but with the word 'channel' being in used in a slightly different context).

Last edited by OLD BOY; 24-05-2020 at 18:55.
Old 24-05-2020, 19:04   #1368
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

"most people" - you appear to be using the "Unfalsifiability" logical fallacy...

Quote:
Description: Confidently asserting that a theory or hypothesis is true or false even though the theory or hypothesis cannot possibly be contradicted by an observation or the outcome of any physical experiment, usually without strong evidence or good reasons.

Making unfalsifiable claims is a way to leave the realm of rational discourse, since unfalsifiable claims are often faith-based, and not founded on evidence and reason.

Example #1:

I have tiny, invisible unicorns living in my anus. Unfortunately, these cannot be detected by any kind of scientific equipment.

Explanation: While it may actually be a fact that tiny, invisible, mythological creatures are occupying this person’s opening at the lower end of the alimentary canal, it is a theory that is constructed so it cannot be falsified in any way; therefore, should not be seriously considered without significant evidence.
Old 24-05-2020, 19:07   #1369
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
"most people" - you appear to be using the "Unfalsifiability" logical fallacy...
Now you're being silly...

Old 24-05-2020, 19:09   #1370
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

You're the one who said "most people" - back it up.
Old 24-05-2020, 19:12   #1371
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
When Amazon or a similar player takes over Premiership football, you may think rather differently.
Premiership football doesn’t account for a significant proportion of all live, linear viewing. If a streamer buys the rights, and we’ve discussed the extremely challenging financials around that over and over, that doesn’t significantly reduce linear viewing at all.

Quote:
Streaming at the moment is certainly a lot less popular than on demand viewing is when compared with live events on conventional TV channels, but I believe that this will be the only choice in the future, because that's how these global players want to do it.
But how do they move the customers?

You are once again being ideological about this in a way media companies will simply not be. The BBC, ITV, Sky and Virgin Media aren’t going to just wake up one morning and voluntarily relinquish control of their prominent EPG positions and control of platforms because in your view “streaming is the future”. Suddenly they themselves at the whim of smart TV/streaming box manufacturers in terms of prominence? Not a chance.

If BBC/ITV did so you could 100% bet someone else would swoop in for the slots. Because consumer behaviour hasn’t significantly changed - there’s a reason why slots at the top of the EPG are worth more than those at the bottom. Even if the amount of streaming doubled or tripled this would still hold true.
Old 24-05-2020, 19:38   #1372
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
You're the one who said "most people" - back it up.
Maybe you should look up the press articles at the time, which were always referring to the conventional channels as 'linear channels'. I'm not sure why you are labouring this point, but you can do your own research.
Old 24-05-2020, 19:44   #1373
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Maybe you should look up the press articles at the time, which were always referring to the conventional channels as 'linear channels'. I'm not sure why you are labouring this point, but you can do your own research.
Old Boy I hope you are being ironic accusing someone else of labouring a point. It’s been five years and we’re still waiting...
Old 24-05-2020, 20:39   #1374
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
That’s a big "no", then.

Thank you for clarifying that.
Old 24-05-2020, 20:51   #1375
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Old Boy I hope you are being ironic accusing someone else of labouring a point. It’s been five years and we’re still waiting...
Sorry, jfman, but five years added to 2015 does not equal 2035. Another 15 years to go...
Old 24-05-2020, 20:52   #1376
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Sorry, jfman, but five years added to 2015 does not equal 2035. Another 15 years to go...
Oh, joy...
Old 24-05-2020, 21:03   #1377
jfman
Architect of Ideas

I think by 2062 they will develop technology where they just beam television straight into a chip that beams television directly into your brain so you can watch it with your eyes closed. I’ve no scientific evidence for this, and have no idea about potential customer demand for this, but I’m going to say it’s bigger and better than relying on devices that become obsolete.

For those of us around at the next passing of Halley’s Comet we can wait and see. Between now and then I insist I remain unchallenged on this point - because it’s an obviously better technology in my opinion I insist that everyone will want it when it comes.
Old 24-05-2020, 21:36   #1378
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

If you could provide links from technology and marketing companies involved in this technology to support your position, that would be really helpful...
Old 24-05-2020, 22:25   #1379
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I think by 2062 they will develop technology where they just beam television straight into a chip that beams television directly into your brain so you can watch it with your eyes closed. I’ve no scientific evidence for this, and have no idea about potential customer demand for this, but I’m going to say it’s bigger and better than relying on devices that become obsolete.

For those of us around at the next passing of Halley’s Comet we can wait and see. Between now and then I insist I remain unchallenged on this point - because it’s an obviously better technology in my opinion I insist that everyone will want it when it comes.
It's sounds brilliant. But I'll probably be dead. Unless they can cryogenically suspend me so I can get through that bloody Blake's 7 boxset...
Old 24-05-2020, 23:25   #1380
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
It's sounds brilliant. But I'll probably be dead. Unless they can cryogenically suspend me so I can get through that bloody Blake's 7 boxset...
By 2035 anything can happen, just imagine what we can do by 2062.
Closed Thread