Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 13-05-2021, 00:12   #10426
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

So if BT Sport sell up i wonder if amazon will snatch it up or disney considering disney already have worked with BT sport over licensing ESPN
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-05-2021, 00:30   #10427
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
So if BT Sport sell up i wonder if amazon will snatch it up or disney considering disney already have worked with BT sport over licensing ESPN
These were my thoughts on seven potential buyers: https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...ostcount=10380

If a deal is done, I reckon DAZN or Disney are most likely.

Others felt Sky should not be ruled out as it would be keen to take out a competitor. Hoever, I think the Premier League could prevent this by making sure Sky was aware that it would re-auction BT's rights if that situation arose, which rights owners are able to do if the ownership of the broadcaster changes. (Change of control clause.)
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 17:58   #10428
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
These were my thoughts on seven potential buyers: https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...ostcount=10380

Others felt Sky should not be ruled out as it would be keen to take out a competitor. Hoever, I think the Premier League could prevent this by making sure Sky was aware that it would re-auction BT's rights if that situation arose, which rights owners are able to do if the ownership of the broadcaster changes. (Change of control clause.)
Not sure they’d be keen to anger their best customer with the deepest pockets.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 19:03   #10429
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

I’m glad you said that and not me! You seem to have avoided the hostile response I would have received for coming even close to such a suggestion!
Old 14-05-2021, 00:37   #10430
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Do we really think a streaming only channel will be keen to take on football rights in the UK without a standard channel on Sky/Virgin/BT? Even for a tenner that streaming channel with spanish/italian football completely collapsed within 6 months or so?

Amazon works because its on most smart tvs, firesticks, tv boxes, is a well known brand etc.

"Oh btw the new EPL stuff is on DAZN"
"DAZN....what the heck is DAZN"
"its streaming service for football?"
"how do i get it....i just want to watch the football?"
"well on your laptop you can cast from your pc/laptop or smartphone to a google chromebox for example!"
"what?"
"or a ps4/x box app which has just been released"
"what....."
"its on apple tv"
"oh forget it!!"
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 07:46   #10431
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Do we really think a streaming only channel will be keen to take on football rights in the UK without a standard channel on Sky/Virgin/BT? Even for a tenner that streaming channel with spanish/italian football completely collapsed within 6 months or so?

Amazon works because its on most smart tvs, firesticks, tv boxes, is a well known brand etc.

"Oh btw the new EPL stuff is on DAZN"
"DAZN....what the heck is DAZN"
"its streaming service for football?"
"how do i get it....i just want to watch the football?"
"well on your laptop you can cast from your pc/laptop or smartphone to a google chromebox for example!"
"what?"
"or a ps4/x box app which has just been released"
"what....."
"its on apple tv"
"oh forget it!!"
If I were making these decisions at DAZN, and given where we are at the moment with the transition to IPTV, I would stream it as well as having at least a 'pop up' pay-tv channel to maximise revenue.

It's different for Amazon because having the footie on Prime only helps to increase revenue for their retail operation as well.
Old 14-05-2021, 08:16   #10432
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Services: 500mb, Full House (with Sky Sports & Movies, BT Sports and ViaPlay), 1 TiVo, 1 V6, iPhone 14 Pro Max
johnasimmons has reached the bronze age
johnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze age

It was all done via rollover so staying the same
johnasimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2021, 08:47   #10433
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I’m glad you said that and not me! You seem to have avoided the hostile response I would have received for coming even close to such a suggestion!
Nobody is hostile on the basis of who said it.
Old 14-05-2021, 09:01   #10434
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
If I were making these decisions at DAZN, and given where we are at the moment with the transition to IPTV, I would stream it as well as having at least a 'pop up' pay-tv channel to maximise revenue.

It's different for Amazon because having the footie on Prime only helps to increase revenue for their retail operation as well.
I think Amazon have a satellite channel for showing matches in pubs don't they?

Agreed that a broadcaster with EPL rights needs a linear channel or two. DAZN has done this in other countries but next auction now in a couple of years' time.

With DAZN acquiring UK rights to Matchrrom Boxing, it will be interesting to see how they will grow their footprint across devices and platforms.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 14-05-2021 at 09:05.
Old 14-05-2021, 14:02   #10435
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Nobody is hostile on the basis of who said it.
That’s not my experience on this forum.

As the Premiership bids are being rolled over this time around due to Covid, I guess we can only speculate on what might have been.
Old 14-05-2021, 14:30   #10436
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:

As the Premiership bids are being rolled over this time around due to Covid, I guess we can only speculate on what might have been.
We can also speculate on the future direction of BT Sport too.
Old 15-05-2021, 10:40   #10437
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:

They’re only rolled over by consent - not “because of Covid”.

If the EPL felt they could extract better value for their shareholders (clubs) by running an auction then they would have done so.
Old 15-05-2021, 10:52   #10438
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

No - they do a deal with Premier Sport (I think) for capacity.

Satellite viewers loose access to Premier Sports at such times.

Quote:
I think Amazon have a satellite channel for showing matches in pubs don't they?
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 12:16   #10439
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
They’re only rolled over by consent - not “because of Covid”.

If the EPL felt they could extract better value for their shareholders (clubs) by running an auction then they would have done so.
You are mistaken.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/engl...oiding-auction

[EXTRACT]

The league said it had received government approval to renew its broadcast rights with existing partners instead of holding a competitive auction due to the financial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Old 15-05-2021, 14:14   #10440
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
You are mistaken.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/engl...oiding-auction

[EXTRACT]

The league said it had received government approval to renew its broadcast rights with existing partners instead of holding a competitive auction due to the financial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
You are, as ever, selectively quoting.

They obviously need Government permission to award the rights without putting them out to tender due to competition concerns.

That is not to say that they could not have run an auction if they sincerely believed that was the best way to maximise revenue.

Clearly they did not believe this would have extracted greatest value for their shareholders.