Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Phone call from virgin ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

No TV license, but cheaper to include TV package
Closed Thread

Old 15-06-2023, 18:40   #1
BenDude89
cf.member

BenDude89 is an unknown quantity at this point
No TV license, but cheaper to include TV package

Hi,
I've just got a great package upgrade with Virgin, but while checking the contract details a day after the sales call, I noticed the mention of the Virgin TV 360 box. This was never mentioned on the call, but I did say that I don't pay a TV license, nor do I want to as I only watch Netflix.

I phoned Virgin today to have the TV part removed from the package, but its actually more expensive to not have the TV package.

The question I'm asking today is,
Can I never unbox this Virgin TV 360 box, and continue to have it included in the package, and still continue to not pay the TV license?

Thanks in advance,
Ben
Advertisement
Old 15-06-2023, 18:46   #2
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: No TV license, but cheaper to include TV package

Yes

If they knock just say no thank you and close the door.
No evidence means no warrant. If VM inform them and they get a warrant let them in but say nothing just show them a box. If they do persist just say you pay so you can use the on demand on your phone

You only need a TV licence if you watch live TV or use iplayer
Old 15-06-2023, 18:57   #3
BenDude89
cf.member

BenDude89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Yes

No evidence means no warrant. If VM inform them and they get a warrant let them in but say nothing just show them a box. If they do persist just say you pay so you can use the on demand on your phone

Thank you, that sounds good to me. I also wasn't aware of the on-demand app, I'll definitely be giving that a look
Old 15-06-2023, 19:43   #4
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

However, the Virgin Media Ts&Cs require you to have a TV licence if you take their TV service. You are getting the benefit in price of your contract so should abide by your contract and pay for a TV licence.
Old 15-06-2023, 19:49   #5
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
However, the Virgin Media Ts&Cs require you to have a TV licence if you take their TV service. You are getting the benefit in price of your contract so should abide by your contract and pay for a TV licence.
Narc hahaha
Old 15-06-2023, 20:19   #6
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Indeed. They've got a good deal and, for the sake of about £3 a week I'd pay it to prevent any hassle from Virgin or TV Licencing and to be able to freely obtain the benefit of what I'm paying for.
Old 16-06-2023, 02:35   #7
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Yes

Or have any equipment capable of recording live TV, which would include the TV 360 box.
Old 16-06-2023, 02:49   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Its not capable if its unplugged, still in a box.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 16-06-2023, 02:56   #9
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Its not capable if its unplugged, still in a box.
Although not much use for watching Netflix either in that state.
Old 16-06-2023, 03:14   #10
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

You dont need it to watch Netflix, and the OP obviously doesnt either, since they were not expecting it.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 16-06-2023, 06:01   #11
epsilon
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
You dont need it to watch Netflix, and the OP obviously doesnt either, since they were not expecting it.
The OP did state that they were leaving the TV 360 in the box but Jaymoss advised that "You only need a TV licence if you watch live TV or use iplayer. The OP then suggested "Thank you, that sounds good to me". To which I commented "Or have any equipment capable of recording live TV, which would include the TV 360 box".

I think it is pretty obvious that the box would have to ba connected. I seriously doubt that Capita's enforcement teams will insist on unboxing stored equipment. I could ask them if you like.
Old 16-06-2023, 09:24   #12
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
Or have any equipment capable of recording live TV, which would include the TV 360 box.
That is totally incorrect

You have to watch or record live TV not just own property that can facilitate it or it would include a PC a Laptop and mobile a tablet ect

If they raided you and it was plugged in of course they could argue you use it

This is the OPs question
Quote:
Can I never unbox this Virgin TV 360 box, and continue to have it included in the package, and still continue to not pay the TV license?
My reply was to his question
Quote:
Yes

as you can see my reply to that question is 100% correct as I state show them the box referring to the unboxed equipment the OP mentioned in his question. I also mentioned On Demand on his phone at no point did I advise anything about plugging the box in did ?

Last edited by Jaymoss; 16-06-2023 at 09:32.
Old 16-06-2023, 10:06   #13
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Another example of how VM's pricing structure is bonkers. No TV? That'll cost you more...
Old 16-06-2023, 10:22   #14
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Another example of how VM's pricing structure is bonkers. No TV? That'll cost you more...
Yeah they can't force a landline down ya throat now so they have to try something else
Old 16-06-2023, 13:37   #15
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDude89 View Post
Hi,
I've just got a great package upgrade with Virgin, but while checking the contract details a day after the sales call, I noticed the mention of the Virgin TV 360 box. This was never mentioned on the call, but I did say that I don't pay a TV license, nor do I want to as I only watch Netflix.

I phoned Virgin today to have the TV part removed from the package, but its actually more expensive to not have the TV package.

Thanks in advance,
Ben
You'll only get caught if you let yourself get caught, they can not enter your property without a warrant unless you let them in and a warrant is extremly rare.
There is no such thing as a tv detector van.
They can not ask your internet provider for your details as you've not been convicted and they can't convict you unless you allow them inside your property or slip up by dropping yourself in it.
Never ever sign anything if they ask.

However if you are watching or recording live tv or watching/ downloading things on iplayer. then pay the licence fee as you should do.