Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Chronicles of Rishi

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Chronicles of Rishi

Old 08-08-2023, 21:08   #841
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: The Chronicles of Rishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Not quite Mr Holmes. When you come back with the supporting evidence that Huw Edwards did something wrong, people might listen to you.

When you rant & rage based on an incorrect clickbait article from a Tabloid Rag then I am not surprised no one took you seriously.
I reminded of that wonderful quote again.

Quote:
Just because it is legal does not make it right.
Old 08-08-2023, 21:33   #842
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Nope, that was New Seph! Old Seph would listen to the logic of the argument and try and reason based on worked examples rather that generic, unsupported, statements.

<SNIP>
Nope to you, Ian. That was Old Seph applying the logic of the bleedin' obvious.

If a nurse earns, say, £50K and an ultra-wealthy person earns £1 million in the UK, then it is bleedin' obvious that the wealthy person pays more tax than the nurse.

You accuse me of making unsupported statements - you said:

Quote:
I am confident that a significant majority of the population would agree with the proposition that an ultra wealthy individual should contribute, at a minimum, the same as a Nurse.
Show us please, where Sunak has contributed less than a nurse?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 21:53   #843
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Pretty sure Ian meant as a percentage of salary, not gross amount…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 22:16   #844
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Pretty sure Ian meant as a percentage of salary, not gross amount…
Maybe he did - but he hangs onto my words so I'm right to hang on his.

Even if that is what he meant, let's analyse this. On £50K gross, a nurse would pay c. 18.5% = c. £9,200.

On £1 million gross, the rich person will have paid nearly £440,00 in tax = 44%.

So you're getting it as wrong as Ian did.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-08-2023, 00:04   #845
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I reminded of that wonderful quote again.
If your just going to be an ass in every topic, you'll soon find you cant post in them.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 08:56   #846
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Maybe he did - but he hangs onto my words so I'm right to hang on his.

Even if that is what he meant, let's analyse this. On £50K gross, a nurse would pay c. 18.5% = c. £9,200.

On £1 million gross, the rich person will have paid nearly £440,00 in tax = 44%.

So you're getting it as wrong as Ian did.

Hope that helps.
£50k gross - tax & NI = £12,444, rate of 24.9%

https://uk.talent.com/tax-calculator...+Britain-50000

Sunak gross (over 3 years)

£4.766m gross across the three years of 2019/20, 2020/21 and 2021/22 - tax £1.053m, rate of 22%.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...-a9566211.html

Quote:
Some of the wealthiest people in the UK are paying an effective tax rate of just 20 per cent, pioneering new research has found.

Researchers from Warwick University and the London School of Economics (LSE) analysed anonymised HMRC tax returns of higher earners and found that the average person with £10m in total remuneration had an effective tax rate of just 21 per cent – less than someone on median earnings of £30,000.

And a tenth of people receiving more than £1m paid a lower rate than someone earning just £15,000.

The very rich are able to – entirely legally – reduce their taxes by structuring their affairs to take their remuneration as capital gains and corporate dividends.

Last edited by Hugh; 09-08-2023 at 09:16.
Old 09-08-2023, 09:35   #847
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Nope to you, Ian. That was Old Seph applying the logic of the bleedin' obvious.

If a nurse earns, say, £50K and an ultra-wealthy person earns £1 million in the UK, then it is bleedin' obvious that the wealthy person pays more tax than the nurse.

You accuse me of making unsupported statements - you said:

Show us please, where Sunak has contributed less than a nurse?
(Old) Seph, of course I am talking about, as Hugh mentions, the same percentage contribution. I felt it was sort of obvious but hey ho.

I would love to give you the evidence of the Sunak's actual effective tax rate but he, like others, deliberately obfuscates this via off shore tax havens and assorted chicanery
Old 09-08-2023, 19:14   #848
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
£50k gross - tax & NI = £12,444, rate of 24.9%

https://uk.talent.com/tax-calculator...+Britain-50000

Sunak gross (over 3 years)

£4.766m gross across the three years of 2019/20, 2020/21 and 2021/22 - tax £1.053m, rate of 22%.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...-a9566211.html
There's bugger all difference between 24.9% and 22% for the purposes of this discussion.

What is the fair rate for Sunak?

Old 09-08-2023, 19:35   #849
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
There's bugger all difference between 24.9% and 22% for the purposes of this discussion.

What is the fair rate for Sunak?
Seph, I think your are so missing the point here. I am contrasting Sunak (together with many of his kind) with a Nurse for effect. Of course, given the ultra wealth these people have, he (and they) should be paying effective tax rates nearer the upper end of the PAYE scale i.e. towards 40%
Old 09-08-2023, 20:01   #850
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Seph, I think your are so missing the point here. I am contrasting Sunak (together with many of his kind) with a Nurse for effect. Of course, given the ultra wealth these people have, he (and they) should be paying effective tax rates nearer the upper end of the PAYE scale i.e. towards 40%
I did show in my example that a person earning £1 million per annum would pay 44% in income tax. I did not take into account any tax wheezes because I believe that government should legislate properly to close down tax avoidance schemes.

I hear you say "Exactly". I further hear you think "never would a Tory government close the loopholes" and you'd prolly be right because they've done bugger all since 2010. Furthermore, I hear you think, "it's their donors that the Tories are protecting". All of the foregoing are valid criticisms.

Now I'll ruin it all: John Redwood put forward a plan a few years ago that also has merit. https://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2012/0...-the-rich-pay/

Quote:
.... However, at a time of economic difficulty, when the government wishes to spend so much more than it is currently collecting in revenue, there are many cries to tax the rich more. To do this successfully you need to have a tax system which attracts more very rich people here, and which tempts rich people to invest, venture and spend in ways which trigger more tax revenue from them. The higher rates introduced by the outgoing Labour and incoming Coalition governments have led to a predictable continuing drop in revenues. Taxes on wealth and income yielded 3.5% less to August 2012 than the same period the previous year.

The USA has lower tax rates on the very rich than the UK. Top rate federal income tax is 35%, compared to 50% (plus 2% NI) here. State income tax varies from 0% to 11%. Allowing an average of around 5% means the US top tax rate is more than 10% lower than the UK one.

Despite this- or more likely because of it – the US top 1% earn 17% of all the income. More importantly , they pay 37% of all the Income Tax paid. So with lower tax rates the USA achieves the goal of getting the rich to pay much more. It also has more seriously rich people, which some will dislike and others will see as helpful to pay all that extra tax. In the US the rich pay more than twice their income level. They make an overall bigger contribution than in the UK.

Old 10-08-2023, 10:18   #851
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Just when you think Liz Truss’s favourite Right Wing think tank (the IEA) can’t get any more batshit-crazy, they say "hold my beer!"…

https://iea.org.uk/in-the-media/pres...cies-should-go

Quote:
“The police don’t need to be told what to do by politicians who wouldn’t have a clue about how to run a police force. Nor do they need to be rewarded with increased budgets when they underperform. They need to be put in the position of private enterprises, whose fortunes depend on how well they provide for their customers.

“Most importantly, if ACME cannot deter crime well enough, the tariffs it pays London will be so high that it will make a loss and, ultimately, go out of business. Good. The London contract can be awarded to a more proficient policing company, which might hire Acme’s police officers and put them to better use.”
Full article here

https://thecritic.co.uk/policing-a-radical-solution/

Quote:
Most importantly, if ACME cannot deter crime well enough, the tariffs it pays London will be so high that it will make a loss and, ultimately, go out of business. Good. The London contract can be awarded to a more proficient policing company, which might hire Acme’s police officers and put them to better use.

Competition between profit-seeking policing companies would lead to continual improvements in their methods. We could expect both crime rates and policing fees to fall, reducing the cost of crime to society.
<cough cough> Water Companies <cough cough>
Old 10-08-2023, 10:46   #852
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I look forward to the first contract going to Wagner PMC.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 14:47   #853
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I did show in my example that a person earning £1 million per annum would pay 44% in income tax. I did not take into account any tax wheezes because I believe that government should legislate properly to close down tax avoidance schemes.

I hear you say "Exactly". I further hear you think "never would a Tory government close the loopholes" and you'd prolly be right because they've done bugger all since 2010. Furthermore, I hear you think, "it's their donors that the Tories are protecting". All of the foregoing are valid criticisms.

Now I'll ruin it all: John Redwood put forward a plan a few years ago that also has merit. https://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2012/0...-the-rich-pay/

Seph, I am not sure if you are doing this deliberately but you keep referring to Income Tax in your responses. You know very well that the ultra wealthy do not accrue wealth via "income", rather they use other, more tax efficient, vehicles which attract far lower tax rates, if indeed they pay tax at all.
Old 10-08-2023, 15:24   #854
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Seph, I am not sure if you are doing this deliberately but you keep referring to Income Tax in your responses. You know very well that the ultra wealthy do not accrue wealth via "income", rather they use other, more tax efficient, vehicles which attract far lower tax rates, if indeed they pay tax at all.
Good for them, as long as it’s legal.
Old 10-08-2023, 15:35   #855
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Good for them, as long as it’s legal.
Love the shilling for the ultra wealthy, such a good look