Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Problems with connection

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Router Problems with STB

Old 27-10-2005, 13:01   #1
BAYEUX
Inactive

BAYEUX is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless Router Problems with STB

here's the senario. I have a stand alone cable modem linked to an Edimax wireless router, i've got 2 pc's working on wired and a laptop working on the wireless network, and this works perfectly. Now the problem is i tried the same setup at my in-laws and can't get anything. the difference is they have broadband via a Set Top Box. anyone have any ideas? when i plug the WAN cable into the router only the 10/100 light comes on for that port the LNK/ACT light stays off. That same wireless router works fine in my house. HELP !
BAYEUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-10-2005, 13:08   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Wireless Router Problems with STB

Did you power off the STB, connect the router, turn on the STB, wait for lights to settle, turn on the router, wait for lights, use wired PC to connect to internet to make sure the router MAC is registered?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2005, 13:24   #3
BAYEUX
Inactive

Did all that, the wired PC can login to the router but the router isn't having any of it from the STB. I thought it may be a common problem, ops, guess not. worst case senario i'll have ntl put a stand alone cable modem in.
Old 27-10-2005, 13:28   #4
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAYEUX
Did all that, the wired PC can login to the router but the router isn't having any of it from the STB. I thought it may be a common problem, ops, guess not. worst case senario i'll have ntl put a stand alone cable modem in.
IIRC for STB connection you have to clone the MAC address of the STB into the router ???
Old 27-10-2005, 14:17   #5
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Almost Gaz - you either clone the MAC of an existing PC on to the router, or register the MAC of the router with the STB.

This explains more http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...r.html#pacereg
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2005, 14:43   #6
BAYEUX
Inactive

thanks for the help, i'll give it another go
Old 27-10-2005, 14:53   #7
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn
Almost Gaz - you either clone the MAC of an existing PC on to the router, or register the MAC of the router with the STB.

This explains more http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...r.html#pacereg
I always get this wrong
Old 27-10-2005, 18:43   #8
patrickp
Inactive

patrickp has reached the bronze age
patrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
I always get this wrong
Well, you were half right, Gaz! ;-D
patrickp is offline   Reply With Quote