Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linksys WRT54GS Installation on Virgin/NTL

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Linksys WRT54GS Installation on Virgin/NTL

Old 08-04-2008, 16:34   #1
amc1
Inactive

amc1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Linksys WRT54GS Installation on Virgin/NTL

Hi, I've volunteered to set-up this wireless router for a friend at the weekemd (even though I know little about networking)

I had a check on the forum and it seems that set-up could be problem-free taking 10 minutes or could be full of problems taking 10 hours

The current set-up is a desktop and cable modem and I want to insert the wireless router, even though the desktop connection will be wired. They have a laptop on order which will eventually connect wirelessly.

One thing I do need to know is if I will need the NTL PID/password from them and what is the autoreg page called something like start.ntl..... etc. Will I need this info ? Is it the cable modem that's registered with ntl or the desktop ??

Any info appreciated. Thx.
amc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2008, 16:39   #2
sjdigital
Inactive

sjdigital is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Linksys WRT54GS Installation on Virgin/NTL

It really should be a matter of play 'n' play. The modem is what is registered on the network and the router just plugs into it in place of the current computer. No MAC cloning required. Of course you'll need to connect the PC to the router to set up the basics for wireless security, etc., but that will be covered in the instructions. Always remember RTFI!
sjdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 16:41   #3
amc1
Inactive

thx. can you elaborate on RTFI.
Old 08-04-2008, 16:43   #4
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Read the Flipping (I paraphrase) Instructions
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 16:53   #5
amc1
Inactive

I have. That's what has got me worried. Is NTL "DHCP" ?
Old 08-04-2008, 16:58   #6
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

yes it is dhcp

turn off modem
plug modem into router
turn on modem
turn on router

should work straight off the bat
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 17:05   #7
amc1
Inactive

cheers, fingers-crossed.
Old 08-04-2008, 17:29   #8
flowrebmit
Inactive

Services: VM BB 10Mb XL & TV L
flowrebmit will become famous soon enoughflowrebmit will become famous soon enoughflowrebmit will become famous soon enough

If it was me, I'd want to ask how the cable modem and PC are currently connected together - is it an Ethernet cable or USB cable?
How long has your friend had their cable modem? (If it's less than a year then it's very likely to be Ethernet)
Similarly, how recent their PC is, will also mean you don't get any nasty surprises when you turn up and find that their PC is so old that it doesn't have an Ethernet adapter built-in

In terms of routers settings that people haven't discussed yet, you'll want to change the following:
Change any administration passwords on the router.
For wireless, change the factory default SSID or ESSID name - for security reasons don't use a surname or other personally identifying word. Your ESSID is going to be broadcast for all you neighbours to see, and anybody else who is sitting outside the house with a laptop.
Set the wireless protection to WPA2 and choose a passphrase of at least 30 characters.
(You won't be able to setup the laptop end, but the passphrase need entering into the appropriate setup in Windows/OS X or Linux).

Obviously write down all of the above.
flowrebmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 18:02   #9
amc1
Inactive

thank you for the pointers.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:38   #10
grubbymitts
Inactive

grubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quadsgrubbymitts has a fine set of Quads

Yeah, as long as it is running on Ethernet, it is a 10 minute job. I have one myself. It has crap firmware bugs in it though - mine corrupted something and now when I try to go into it and change it, I see blank options on the pull down menus. Seems to still work though, so it is probably a graphical glitch or something.
You can find alternative firmwares for it that boost signals etc.
grubbymitts is offline   Reply With Quote