Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | wireless connection ok but no internet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

wireless connection ok but no internet

Old 08-03-2008, 15:58   #16
RDDearing
Inactive

RDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to RDDearing
Re: wireless connection ok but no internet

OK, what about your router, http://192.168.1.1 - does this work in a browser?
RDDearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2008, 16:06   #17
heski
Inactive

heski is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDDearing View Post
Re: DaiNasty's response

Fair point but I think the responses he's given so far indicate the client can see the router (IP settings provided indicate DHCP, DNS and Gateway as the same address and DNS has returned a successful ping).

To rule out a DNS issue in a simpler way, try the following address in your browser:

http://208.69.34.231/

You should see the Google homepage.

no i don't get google just get the internet explorer cannot display the webpage
heski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 17:39   #18
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDDearing View Post
OK, what about your router, http://192.168.1.1 - does this work in a browser?
from the comment at the end of the OPs last post I'd guess not.
So to summarise what I see so far, the system is getting a valid IP from the router's DHCP server and gateway is set right.

This is looking to me more and more like either a browser or firewall issue.

Mind you I'm still uncertain about the DNS settings as well. It's looking to the router for DNS at the moment. I'd like to know what's set in there. In his position I'd try manually setting to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 locally
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 20:53   #19
heski
Inactive

heski is an unknown quantity at this point

Guy's I would like to thankyou all for your help, I have solved the problem. I have downloaded the most up to date driver for the netgear wg111v2 wireless usb stick on top my laptop that was able to connect to the internet and installed it onto my desktop pc and the internet worked straight away would you believe it. The software version supplied with the usb stick was v3.2 and the version i downloaded was v3.3.0. So i am up and running throughout the house. The kids will be happy that they can now do their homework in their bedroom. Just have to secure everything so it's safe for them to surf and set up a home network for sharing the printer. More fun and games ahead i am sure but anyway thanks again, it's been great talking and getting some great advise.
heski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 22:52   #20
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Thanks for coming back with the result. It's always good to hear about a happy ending and the conversation may help someone else in the future.

Ask away if there's anything else..

Damned if I thought of drivers. That's annoying and educational all at once.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:19   #21
Wintie
Inactive

Wintie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: wireless connection ok but no internet

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. Should I start a new thread or continue this one with my issue? It is an Internet issue but different hardware and different setup?
Regards.
Wintie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:18   #22
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

New Thread so it doesn't get confused.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote