Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Bought an ethernet cable, connectors aren't on the end :(

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Bought an ethernet cable, connectors aren't on the end :(

Old 16-11-2011, 16:37   #1
Ain'tGotAClue
Inactive

Ain'tGotAClue is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Bought an ethernet cable, connectors aren't on the end :(

I bought a 50m ethernet cable to connect my xbox to my router (bad signal upstairs). So I managed to ignore the part on the ebay page that said the cable doesn't come with the rj45 connectors. It looks really hard to connect them, will I be able to do it considering I have no experience in that type of thing. I tried finding a retailer that would do it for me but none of them would (even my local maplin!!!!). Can anyone help me with this??????
Ain'tGotAClue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-11-2011, 16:48   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Bought an ethernet cable, connectors aren't on the end :(

Welcome to the forum. I found what looks like a good tutorial at http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html .

But, having wired a few myself, I would warn that it can be fiddly.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 17:15   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

It's a bit of a pain in the backside doing htis, but it can be done. But factor in the cost of getting the crimping tools, and the RJ45 ends.

Bare end lenghts of cable are great if you want to run a permanent extension somewhere so you can pull it through walls and floors and then terminate in sockets and the like from where you then use a small ready made patch lead to connect between the socket and device.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 17:18   #4
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Actually, aint, do you have an independent computer shop nearby? If you do, he'll probably have the tools to add the plugs, and may well do so for very little money, or free.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 17:27   #5
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Since they are selling for £6.70 (with free postage) on eBay, it may be quicker/cheaper to buy another one....

(I searched eBay on this - 50m Grey Ethernet CAT 5e RJ45 Network LAN Cable)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 18:09   #6
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I ran cables all over the house and terminated them in wall sockets... easy to fit, then all I needed were short ethernet cables between the wall sockets and PC's. SIMPLES!

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9686681&fh_locat ion=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C{9372015}/categories%3C{9372042}/categories%3C{9792018}/categories%3C{9792035}/specificationsProductType=leads___connectors

The last time I was there they sold the components seperatly too, without cable, but it cost more!
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 21:59   #7
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

You should have went to Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nk....c0.m270.l1313
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 02:00   #8
Martyn
Inactive

Services: Sky TV 2TB HD - Fiber Pro
Martyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I ran cables all over the house and terminated them in wall sockets... easy to fit, then all I needed were short ethernet cables between the wall sockets and PC's. SIMPLES!

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9686681&fh_locat ion=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C{9372015}/categories%3C{9372042}/categories%3C{9792018}/categories%3C{9792035}/specificationsProductType=leads___connectors

The last time I was there they sold the components seperatly too, without cable, but it cost more!
how did you hide all the cables?
Martyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 09:29   #9
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Another vote for the already mentioned wall sockets.. Very easy to fit and then you just need a small patch cable..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 09:41   #10
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn View Post
how did you hide all the cables?
Only small sections are visible due to the layout of the house fortunately.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 21:30   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Since they are selling for £6.70 (with free postage) on eBay, it may be quicker/cheaper to buy another one....

(I searched eBay on this - 50m Grey Ethernet CAT 5e RJ45 Network LAN Cable)
You'll only get horrible (read: faulty, non-conformant, poor performing) cables at that price.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 14:49   #12
Dush
Inactive

Dush can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
You'll only get horrible (read: faulty, non-conformant, poor performing) cables at that price.
Really? I've ordered all my cables off ebay for the past 10 years and have never had an issue. I've recently upgraded my network to Gigabit switches and achieve full speed even though the cables are all Cat5e.
Dush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 19:10   #13
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dush View Post
... even though the cables are all Cat5e.

And? CAT5e cable supports 1Gbs - you don't need CAT6 for that.
Old 03-12-2011, 20:46   #14
Dush
Inactive

Dush can only hope to improve

The point being these are cheap as hell cables that work at gig speed. Did you read the post I quoted?!

Most recently I got 30m of cable with a cable tester for £6 delivered!
Dush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 13:08   #15
philwhite100
This tastes nice

Services: TiVo V6 - 500mb -
philwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to philwhite100

B&Q sell a kit for Ethernet home networking, it contains a big roll of cable and quite a few ready made cables and wall boxes etc and the tool for fitting the plugs on the end.

This one, the item on the left. http://search.diy.com/search#w=network