Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC Chairman Richard Sharp resigns

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UK Emergency Alert Mobile Phone Test - 3pm 23/04

Old 23-04-2023, 10:55   #1
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Exclamation UK Emergency Alert Mobile Phone Test - 3pm 23/04

Just a reminder.

The UK government will broadcast an Emergency Alert Mobile Phone Test at 3pm today 23/04

This will be on all compatible mobile phones and tablets and you should hear it even if your device is on silent, you should hear a loud siren sound and vibration for 10 seconds and a message displayed on the home screen, however although it's not recommended you do have the ability to disable Emergency Alerts in your devices settings, this maybe something you wish to do if you're driving during the test.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65177316
https://www.gov.uk/alerts

Last edited by SnoopZ; 23-04-2023 at 11:06.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-04-2023, 11:27   #2
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: UK Emergency Alert Mobile Phone Test - 3pm 23/04

I’ve disabled mine.
Old 23-04-2023, 11:35   #3
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

I would think only a few people in the area of each mobile phone tower need to receive it, in order to test the system. The danger is that if people disable receipt of the message, instead of turning their phone off, and don't re-enable it, they might miss out on any real situations.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 11:41   #4
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I’ve disabled mine.
Could I ask why?

I don't question your decision just interested in your reason.

I am also interested in seeing if I end up with 2 alerts as I have a duel sim phone with both sims active. I believe it isn't triggered by our phone numbers but sent to all phones and, if so, will only be recieved the one time. Sorry if I'm not making sense but my brain isn't in gear yet. Too many meds.
Old 23-04-2023, 11:47   #5
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
I would think only a few people in the area of each mobile phone tower need to receive it, in order to test the system. The danger is that if people disable receipt of the message, instead of turning their phone off, and don't re-enable it, they might miss out on any real situations.
Isn't the point though to test that it goes to everyone? (well, almost everyone).
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 11:48   #6
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I want to experience it as I'm not driving, I should get it on my mobile phone but the article says tablet too and mine isn't 4G/5G just WiFi.

Let the chaos begin, there are going to be lots of people not aware of these tests, and people with health and age issues that will not understand it and panic, but it has to be done.
Old 23-04-2023, 11:51   #7
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Could I ask why?

I don't question your decision just interested in your reason.

I am also interested in seeing if I end up with 2 alerts as I have a duel sim phone with both sims active. I believe it isn't triggered by our phone numbers but sent to all phones and, if so, will only be recieved the one time. Sorry if I'm not making sense but my brain isn't in gear yet. Too many meds.
I'd have guessed twice (as it's two radios, potentially registered to two masts), but proof will be in the pudding. Unless of course the phone itself recognises the second receipt as a duplicate of the first.

---------- Post added at 11:51 ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I want to experience it as I'm not driving, I should get it on my mobile phone but the article says tablet too and mine isn't 4G/5G just WiFi.

Let the chaos begin, there are going to be lots of people not aware of these tests, and people with health and age issues that will not understand it and panic, but it has to be done.
It defo needs to be a 4G/5G enabled tablet to receive the broadcast. The Guardian article highlights mobile enabled Android tablets but not mobile enabled iPads. My guess is that Apple have disabled calling/SMS features (if you link with an iPhone, it uses the iPhone for those purposes) and is solely a data function.
Old 23-04-2023, 11:52   #8
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I'll wrap mine up in pillows to muffle it.
Old 23-04-2023, 11:55   #9
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Everyone who happens to be making a mobile phone call at 3pm are going to have a heart attack!
Old 23-04-2023, 12:02   #10
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Isn't the point though to test that it goes to everyone? (well, almost everyone).
The test isn't of people's phones, but whether the tower will transmit the signal to all phones in it's area. Only a few phones in each area need to be on or enabled to test it. As long as there is no selection process, then the test will still be valid.

Systems in the future could change and technology upgraded. Will the system have to be retested then?
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 12:21   #11
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
The test isn't of people's phones, but whether the tower will transmit the signal to all phones in it's area. Only a few phones in each area need to be on or enabled to test it. As long as there is no selection process, then the test will still be valid.
I think you are missing the point of the system.

Quote:
Systems in the future could change and technology upgraded. Will the system have to be retested then?
Potentially. Countries that utilise the technology already (e.g. the United States) have tested it on multiple occasions, in addition to live use cases.
Old 23-04-2023, 12:44   #12
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

What if threre's a real emergency at 3pm?
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 13:38   #13
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Head to Twitter, where one third of the users will deny it's happening.
Old 23-04-2023, 13:58   #14
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Head to Twitter, where one third of the users will deny it's happening.
And another third will blame the "libs"…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 14:08   #15
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
And another third will blame the "libs"…
Whilst many of the rest will don tasteful tin hats as they know the signal is designed to activate the nanodes that were implanted via covid vaccines.