Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Online Safety Bill

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Online Safety Bill

Old 18-02-2024, 23:30   #271
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Online Safety Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Responsibile parents will do spot checks to check if this has been or is being done and apply appropriately sanctions for this behaviour.

For children of less responsibile parents who know how to circumvent the law and are prepared to be disobedient, I agree that it's unlikely they will be caught unless serious consequences arise as a result of their law breaking, where their phones will be forensically analysed.
I’m not sure what planet you’re on, Richard, but this bears no resemblance to the world I am familiar with.

And isn’t it the ‘less responsible’ parents’ children who are most likely to be watching this stuff anyway and encouraging their mates to do things they shouldn’t?

I really cannot see this working, but I suppose the politicians will have been seen to do something, albeit almost totally ineffective.

What it will do is create a major headache for social media providers for absolutely no benefit to anyone.
Old 19-02-2024, 05:29   #272
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Responsibile parents will do spot checks to check if this has been or is being done and apply appropriately sanctions for this behaviour.

For children of less responsibile parents who know how to circumvent the law and are prepared to be disobedient, I agree that it's unlikely they will be caught unless serious consequences arise as a result of their law breaking, where their phones will be forensically analysed.
This sounds like Richards laws not the reality everyone else lives in. Thankfully i and others live in the real world.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 11:59   #273
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Why do you think this?

Paedophile hunting groups advise parents to check their children's devices to check they aren't being groomed (this would also help to highlight any cases of bullying by or to their own children).
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 12:04   #274
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Why do you think this?
Why do we ALL think this? Because you're a fanatical fantasist that's why. That sums you up in one sentence.
Old 19-02-2024, 12:11   #275
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

In the last few days discussion of this subject has continued on the Today programme and was featured on Any Questions, Any Answers and Today's Jeremy Vine programme. In Any Answers someone suggested that the way to deal with this is to close any site that causes problems for 6 months to encourage them to be responsible.

As suggested earlier, The Daily Telegraph is reporting that the Government response is to give head teachers the power to ban mobile phones and to tell them to search them for mobile phones.

In places where this has been done it has significantly improved behaviour, learning and social interaction.

Child phones are now being used in Americ and calls to introduce them here continue.

---------- Post added at 12:11 ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Why do we ALL think this? Because you're a fanatical fantasist that's why. That sums you up in one sentence.
Nonsense.
Old 19-02-2024, 12:12   #276
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Nonsense.
So all the comments so far that say you don't live in the real world is just 'nonsense'... Just think about that for a moment...
Old 19-02-2024, 13:23   #277
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

The focus of attention about children & smartphones appears to be being broadened to include the amount of time that they spend on them.

The news on TV is reporting that some children spend over fifty hours a week on them- that's longer than the time they are at school or most adults spend working.

One lady said that she went up to her child's school at break time and saw most of them on their phones rather than playing or interactive with each other.

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 13:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
So all the comments so far that say you don't live in the real world is just 'nonsense'... Just think about that for a moment...
People are entitled to their opinion and to express them. What you need to think about is that debate should be about expressing & politely challenging views that don't fit with your own rather than constant personal attacks.

Giving reasons as to why you don't agree with the various views of other people and providing alternative ways to the ones being suggested is much more constructive.

---------- Post added at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was at 13:20 ----------

Facilitator correction

Expressing your own views.
Old 19-02-2024, 13:53   #278
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
In the last few days discussion of this subject has continued on the Today programme and was featured on Any Questions, Any Answers and Today's Jeremy Vine programme. In Any Answers someone suggested that the way to deal with this is to close any site that causes problems for 6 months to encourage them to be responsible.

As suggested earlier, The Daily Telegraph is reporting that the Government response is to give head teachers the power to ban mobile phones and to tell them to search them for mobile phones.

In places where this has been done it has significantly improved behaviour, learning and social interaction.

Child phones are now being used in Americ and calls to introduce them here continue.

---------- Post added at 12:11 ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 ----------

Nonsense.
Child phones already exist in this country and have existed for many years. How many times do you need to be told ?
Old 19-02-2024, 14:08   #279
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Child phones already exist in this country and have existed for many years. How many times do you need to be told ?
You may wish to politely contact The Daily Telegraph about this then.

However, I have no recollection of being told this previously. If correct this may be due to
my cognitive disability and I thank you for your clarification but, going forward, I do
ask you to be more polite, empathetic & respectful if the need ever arises again.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 19-02-2024 at 15:15.
Old 19-02-2024, 14:13   #280
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

There was a 'phone in on LBC the other day about the requirement for 'kids' 'phones.

The conclusion was that everything needed to protect kids on their mobiles already exists and the problem is most parents are just not interested or prepared to enforce rules on their own children's 'phone use.

You can get talk/text 'phones only still - and you can control app use on 'phones via another 'phone which the parent can have.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 14:20   #281
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
There was a 'phone in on LBC the other day about the requirement for 'kids' 'phones.

The conclusion was that everything needed to protect kids on their mobiles already exists and the problem is most parents are just not interested or prepared to enforce rules on their own children's 'phone use.
I can certainly believe that this is the case.

I've just been listening to the former CEO's
of Instagram & Twitter.

The key point from the Instagram guy was that at the time he was solely interested in increasing the amount of time on Instagram, but that he regrets this now.

The key points from the Twitter guy was that he thinks that it's relatively easy for children to mislead their parents, so his own children are not allowed smartphones. They are allowed to use his & his wife's in the home, but are closely monitored.
Old 19-02-2024, 15:17   #282
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Lets stick to the subject in this topic shall we, not attacking each other.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 18:30   #283
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I can certainly believe that this is the case.

I've just been listening to the former CEO's
of Instagram & Twitter.

The key point from the Instagram guy was that at the time he was solely interested in increasing the amount of time on Instagram, but that he regrets this now.

The key points from the Twitter guy was that he thinks that it's relatively easy for children to mislead their parents, so his own children are not allowed smartphones. They are allowed to use his & his wife's in the home, but are closely monitored.
Just to let you know, the CEO guy of Instagram may say one thing publicly but is under Meta the comapany that owns it which is the same company that owns Facebook and ultimately ends up at Mark Zuckerberg.

The CEO of twitter is not a guy but a woman, Linda Yaccarino who is ulimately under the direction of the owner, Elon Musk.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 18:31   #284
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
You may wish to politely contact The Daily Telegraph about this then.

However, I have no recollection of being told this previously. If correct this may be due to
my cognitive disability and I thank you for your clarification but, going forward, I do
ask you to be more polite, empathetic & respectful if the need ever arises again.
And I ask you to stop playing your disability card because you can’t be bothered to read replies due to your incessant need to spout utter gibberish.
Old 19-02-2024, 19:03   #285
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
And I ask you to stop playing your disability card because you can’t be bothered to read replies due to your incessant need to spout utter gibberish.
In fairness quite often previous post are misread or ignored, OK so Richard does it more than most perhaps I should get my cards out .