Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2022)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Changes to Virgin TV (2022)
Closed Thread

Old 18-12-2022, 20:59   #1306
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2022)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
Right, but I was limiting my reply to the point about content being streamed on ITV X before being aired on the live channels.

The features you list aren't unique to ITV X. They were also present in its predecessor, ITV Hub.
Yeah, wasn't comparing ITV Extra to ITV Hub, more why investing in it is important for ITV and adding to the point you had addressed with some others points that ITV Extra also addresses.

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Sky is finished in my opinion , the next nail in the coffin will be if it loses Premier League Football.
Sky is a solid company and part of a successful American cable and film company so it will be around for some time. However, it is unique in both being a content producer and an infrastructure operator, which goes against the current fashion.

I don't see any company out there willing to take a significant amount of its sports content from Sky Sports. If Sky Sports drops any content, it will likely be because it does not want it badly.

Its closest competitor in this area is now Warner Bros Discovery/BT Sport. Co-owner WBD is financially stretched and in cost-cutting mode.

With regard to the other sports broadcasters:
- ViaPlay is an unknown but has entered the UK on a modest scale.
- DAZN is focused on boxing having being unsuccessful in other bidding rights.
- Amazon is not out to be a large sports player and is quitting tennis https://www.express.co.uk/sport/tenn...-Sports-tennis

Last edited by 1andrew1; 18-12-2022 at 21:07.
Advertisement
Old 19-12-2022, 11:44   #1307
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
It's the Virgin Ultra HD channel.
There's some good content on Virgin TV Ultra HD in December:

https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-t...tra-hd-channel
Old 19-12-2022, 14:36   #1308
TheWatcher
cf.member

Services: M125 BB, Anytime Chatter, V6 (Maxit TV)
TheWatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Yeah, wasn't comparing ITV Extra to ITV Hub, more why investing in it is important for ITV and adding to the point you had addressed with some others points that ITV Extra also addresses.

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:17 ----------

Sky is a solid company and part of a successful American cable and film company so it will be around for some time. However, it is unique in both being a content producer and an infrastructure operator, which goes against the current fashion.

I don't see any company out there willing to take a significant amount of its sports content from Sky Sports. If Sky Sports drops any content, it will likely be because it does not want it badly.

Its closest competitor in this area is now Warner Bros Discovery/BT Sport. Co-owner WBD is financially stretched and in cost-cutting mode.

With regard to the other sports broadcasters:
- ViaPlay is an unknown but has entered the UK on a modest scale.
- DAZN is focused on boxing having being unsuccessful in other bidding rights.
- Amazon is not out to be a large sports player and is quitting tennis https://www.express.co.uk/sport/tenn...-Sports-tennis

Why do you keep referring to it as "ITV Extra"?

The "X" in ITVX is not short for Extra. They just chose X because it sounds good.
Old 20-12-2022, 20:48   #1309
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Virgin Media UK may put prices up by 14.6% in April 2023.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...s-in-2024.html
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 21-12-2022, 02:27   #1310
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post
HEAD UP:

*My review of 2022 will be posted sometime on December 22nd.

*I have drop the "Best of" - so no voting this year.

*Changes to Virgin TV (2023) will launch sometime on December 29th or 31st.

PS Happy hoildays.

UPDATE:

*My review of 2022 will NOW be posted sometime after 3pm on December 29th.

*Changes to Virgin TV (2023) will launch sometime on December 31st after 6pm.

Old 21-12-2022, 02:30   #1311
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

That could be the straw that breaks the camels back so to say, got a feeling SKY and BT will follow suite.
Old 21-12-2022, 07:38   #1312
Kevc69
cf.member

Kevc69 is an unknown quantity at this point

In the current climate such a move would undoubtedly be a big risk. I forsee a big loss of customers on the TV side. I'd certainly be considering options given the percentage of repeats on most channels.
Old 21-12-2022, 10:01   #1313
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
That could be the straw that breaks the camels back so to say, got a feeling SKY and BT will follow suite.
No doubt the other two will follow suit as there is only so much customers will pay and given the economic conditions currently its likely all three will lose customers with yet another inflation busting rise.
Old 21-12-2022, 12:41   #1314
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
Why do you keep referring to it as "ITV Extra"?

The "X" in ITVX is not short for Extra. They just chose X because it sounds good.
Oops my bad.
Old 21-12-2022, 13:42   #1315
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevc69 View Post
In the current climate such a move would undoubtedly be a big risk. I forsee a big loss of customers on the TV side. I'd certainly be considering options given the percentage of repeats on most channels.
Even the broadband side VM are at risk with the likes of Cityfibre rolling out their network which is a open network so there is a wider choice of fttp isps available.
I'm now with air broadband as digital home went bust and rightly so is all i'll say on that, anyway air broadband offer 1gbs download and upload speeds for £45p/m with tv included the tv is only netgem so nothing to shout about,
others such as vodafone, talktalk are on the city fibre network too maybe it's time for vm to think about opening their network up?
Those ofcourse are just my thoughts and not rumours/information etc.
Old 21-12-2022, 14:55   #1316
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

Never take a headline with “may” in the title as anything more than attention-seeking speculation
Old 21-12-2022, 15:41   #1317
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
Never take a headline with “may” in the title as anything more than attention-seeking speculation
I only said "may" due to this part:

Quote:
For example, the latest CPI rate is 10.7% and RPI is 14%, thus an operator that chooses to increase its prices by RPI + 3.9% today would be raising them by an average of 17.9%!
Old 21-12-2022, 16:25   #1318
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
From the article

Quote:
For example, the latest CPI rate is 10.7% and RPI is 14%, thus an operator that chooses to increase its prices by RPI + 3.9% today would be raising them by an average of 17.9%! But it’s worth noting how most broadband providers that adopt this approach use CPI and not RPI (i.e. using RPI on broadband is not a good look).

By comparison, Virgin Media has tended to buck this trend on their fixed line base and, as a result, last year’s annual increase was distinctly less aggressive than some of their closest rivals (here). But it should be said that their mobile customers already suffer from the RPI + 3.9% method (here). However, normally credible sources have now informed us that this may change in 2024.

Assuming the ISP follows the same trend in 2023 as they did in 2022, then we expect their usual round of annual price hikes to be announced in January or February 2023. But this may also give notice of their FUTURE intention to update the terms of their packages to adopt the RPI + 3.9% approach for their broadband base.

The change, which could then become effective for all customers on 1st May 2023, would mean that the price hikes introduced from 1st April 2024 (i.e. the following year) would be based off the RPI rate published in February 2024, plus 3.9% on top. The good news is that we’re expecting inflation to fall significantly by February 2024, although there’s still a high level of uncertainty over those forecasts.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 21-12-2022, 17:59   #1319
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
I know. The report referred to is speculation, that's what I'm saying.
Old 22-12-2022, 10:35   #1320
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

I'm sure O2 have had this 3.9% + RPI baked in to their contracts for years, they certainly wont buck the trend so anyone who has had their Virgin mobile moved over to O2 will likely get a hefty increase.
Closed Thread