Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Voice or BGT

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Voice or BGT

Old 26-03-2012, 19:04   #16
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: The Voice or BGT

Your lack of compassion is staggering.

Quote:
And tell me, if it is all about the voice, why was her Alopecia even mentioned?
Because it was. We got some background on all the acts.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-03-2012, 19:47   #17
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Your lack of compassion is staggering.
Thanks

---------- Post added at 19:47 ---------- Previous post was at 19:46 ----------

Quote:
Don't remember getting the medical history of any other acts.
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 20:38   #18
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Even for sarcasm that wasn't particularly amusing
Old 26-03-2012, 22:23   #19
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
This is what irritates me about all these talent contests. The fact that this woman has alopecia has little or no bearing on her ability to sing. Unless we are being manipulated into feeling sorry for her, then the information is irrelevant.

If we are being manipulated into feeling sorry for her, the contest itself stops being about the singing. For a talent contest supposedly based on people's ability to sing, that that is not a good thing.

I am not picking on this woman in particular, or any of the contestants, actually. Just the cynical, manipulative (both the constestants and the viewers are, IMO, manipulated) way these contests are run.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 23:02   #20
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
This is what irritates me about all these talent contests. The fact that this woman has alopecia has little or no bearing on her ability to sing. Unless we are being manipulated into feeling sorry for her, then the information is irrelevant.
It's more about motivation than bearing. Gives us a little insight and allows us to make a connection with the person.

Quote:
If we are being manipulated into feeling sorry for her, the contest itself stops being about the singing.
As far as I know, the judges have not been told anything about the contestants at this stage (something I assumed anyway) so....

Quote:
For a talent contest supposedly based on people's ability to sing, that that is not a good thing.
... it's not a problem.
Old 27-03-2012, 00:22   #21
Stuart
-

Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

I'll admit that my comments, while they used a contestant from The Voice as an example, were aimed primarily at the various talent contest run by Cowell.

However, it seems that the selections for The Voice are at least partially controlled by the public. The public are often more likely to vote for someone percieved as an underdog. The Cowell shows play this up, and it seems that The Voice may start doing this as well.

Hence my comments about cynically manipulating the public.
Old 27-03-2012, 01:19   #22
NO ONE
Inactive

Services: SKY DIG Sky+hd Mullity room(SKY WORLD) SKY BB MAX Sky talk L/r /Takl mobil PAY MO Freevew hd
NO ONE is on a distinguished roadNO ONE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to NO ONE

I watch Bouth Show but miss the First 20 mis of B G T cat be bouthd to record it to Sand I TV a Massger B G t shod Start @8.30 affre The Vice
NO ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 08:33   #23
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
I'll admit that my comments, while they used a contestant from The Voice as an example, were aimed primarily at the various talent contest run by Cowell.
Fair enough. The Voice is so different there's nothing to compare it to.

Quote:
However, it seems that the selections for The Voice are at least partially controlled by the public.
Impossible because the public don't get a say (ie a vote) in "The Voice" until the third and final stage of the competition

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00k96j4/features/about

Quote:
Hence my comments about cynically manipulating the public.
Which do not apply in this case.
Old 27-03-2012, 09:08   #24
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Oh for goodness sake. ALL talent shows on TV are exploitative.They always have been all the way back to Opportunity Knocks and New Faces.

Don't kid yourselves that the latest crop are anything different.

Saturday evenings consequently have been boring for the last 40+ years.
Old 27-03-2012, 09:13   #25
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

As for Simon Cowell, yes he has had a couple of international hits. Leona Lewis, Susan Boyle etc, how many people has he seen?

Remember, he has been doing essentially the same show (with minor variations in the voting and/or the number of judges) since Pop Stars, which was over ten years ago now.
I thought it was Simon Fuller, not Cowell that was responsible for Popstars and Idol? Cowell was only a judge on Idol.

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 11:21   #26
Stuart
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
I thought it was Simon Fuller, not Cowell that was responsible for Popstars and Idol? Cowell was only a judge on Idol.
True, it was. However, Simon Cowell has repeated the format.
Old 13-05-2012, 01:15   #27
sczoo19
Inactive

Services: Broadband, Forums
sczoo19 is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally rather BGT, simply because it offers variety and laughs
the voice is a knock off from the x factor I think, oh without the famous Mr Cowell!!
sczoo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 12:41   #28
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Somewhat like trying to compare a Variety Show with a Concert.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 16:55   #29
Stuart
-

Quote:
Fair enough. The Voice is so different there's nothing to compare it to.
I dunno... Multiple singers auditioning in front of a group of people who get to coach them, then decide if they go through to the next round. Sounds like any number of talent shows to me, with or without Cowell..
Quote:
Impossible because the public don't get a say (ie a vote) in "The Voice" until the third and final stage of the competition

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00k96j4/features/about
All that means is the production team get longer to manipulate the public.
Quote:
Which do not apply in this case.
They do. See reason above.
Old 14-05-2012, 12:15   #30
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

BGT wins by a mile for me, The Voice will end up like Fame Academy, the BBC won't lavish any money on these types of shows like BGT or The X Factor.

I watched the the Voice once and turned it over, fancy listening to the acts with your backs to them.

No Simon Cowell might think he is god, but when he puts on show's he makes it entertainment.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote