Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | making a telephone work from RJ45 Socket

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

making a telephone work from RJ45 Socket

Old 22-12-2010, 18:40   #1
gummy100
Inactive

gummy100 is an unknown quantity at this point
making a telephone work from RJ45 Socket

Hi All,

Im new here hoping someone can help me out with an issue i have in my house....

I have a single face plate with one cat 6 cable and one cat 3 (alarm cable) and i have a dual rj45 face plate... I want to achieve a phone out of one socket and a network port out of the other, my issue is what and how do i need to do to get the phone working? Ive tried copying the colours i.e my blue (2) to pin2 (orange) of the RJ45 but the phone is dead. (Im using a RJ12 lead to go to my phone from the RJ45!

Any help would be appreciated.
gummy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-12-2010, 20:17   #2
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Re: making a telephone work from RJ45 Socket

where does the other end of the cable go?
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 10:56   #3
gummy100
Inactive

gummy100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks for the reply, the other end goes to two different places, the telephone cable goes to a 20 pair phone junction box and the cat 6 goes to a patch panel. they are both next to each other so i could jumper one to the other if necessary. My issue is knowing what pins on the RJ45 plug are needed to work the phone on a RJ12 connection to the base station?

Thanks
gummy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 13:55   #4
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal

so who is supplying the telephone service? bt? virgin? 'cos I think someone will have to switch something on somewhere? and if they have switched it on then its their problem to get your phone working.
Or are you just going to connect up the phone yourself and not bother with the service company, it will be a lot cheaper of course because you won't have to pay for any calls

this might help or lead to other links
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote