Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Please can you recommend me a router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Please can you recommend me a router

Old 18-05-2015, 20:13   #1
superdudeo
Inactive

superdudeo is an unknown quantity at this point
Please can you recommend me a router

I was just looking at the router guide and realised that it is quite out of date now. I am looking to put my Virgin Superhub 2 (which is utter rubbish) into modem mode and use a better router.

Is there a router out there that doesn't cost the earth that has a good range? Ideally penetrate 10m with a few walls.

Many thanks Chris
superdudeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-05-2015, 20:18   #2
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Please can you recommend me a router

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdudeo View Post
I was just looking at the router guide and realised that it is quite out of date now. I am looking to put my Virgin Superhub 2 (which is utter rubbish) into modem mode and use a better router.

Is there a router out there that doesn't cost the earth that has a good range? Ideally penetrate 10m with a few walls.

Many thanks Chris
Depends what the earth is ... my vote is Asus RT-N66U ~£100 with this firmware
Old 18-05-2015, 20:25   #3
superdudeo
Inactive

superdudeo is an unknown quantity at this point

I see that Asus seems to be the the goto for the best routers.

I guess I was hoping to get away with something around the £50 mark but if that's not an acceptable budget then I'll have to reconsider. I don't need bells and whistles, just a good range.

How about the Linksys E2500 Advanced Dual Band N600 Wireless-N Router?
superdudeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 21:17   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Asus RT-N66U I have it.

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 21:15 ----------

My one boosts signals to connected wifi devices.
Old 18-05-2015, 22:15   #5
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
I guess I was hoping to get away with something around the £50 mark but if that's not an acceptable budget then I'll have to reconsider. I don't need bells and whistles, just a good range.
Do you want future-proofing (802.11ac)? If so the TP-Link Archer C7 is slightly above your price range but the best value around.

If you just want an 802.11n router, there's tons going on Ebay for £10 or less.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 15:34   #6
toonlight
cf.addict

Location: On the highest mountian, looking into your bedroom wondering..hehe
Services: B/B VM100 (MB)
toonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Please can you recommend me a router

Quote:

Many thanks Chris

Simple answer not your looking for ...it is use a wired network with ethernet cables or wall plug hubs as your network. Plus all network hubs or routers are duel control (wireless or RJ45 wired sockets) these day so take your pick.... you want easy go wired.

It much more future proof & will last you long-term unlike wireless with it's settings which do go wrong more than often if you don't know much about it. Wired network is plug & easy to use plus little goes wrong. Oh yes much more secure than wireless, hence governments use it for it's data networks.
toonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 16:42   #7
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Mmmmmm - additional router or completely rewiring house.

Difficult decision, especially if you have to make wired connections to smartphones and tablets.

If you take toon's advice to it's limits, you would have the cables in pressurised pipes that set off alarms when breached (as used by GCHQ et al).

Probably easier and simpler to go with the Asus previously recommended.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 21:43   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

If you take toon's advice to it's limits, you would have the cables in pressurised pipes that set of alarms when breached (as used by GCHQ et al).
Quantum cryptography.

[/topic]
Old 27-05-2015, 00:10   #9
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

I'd keep the SHUB2 as router, and then put a repeater at half distance - or to avoid repeater overhead, a homeplug link to an access point at the opposite side to the SHUB
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 17:43   #10
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Bump this thread again. I'm completely fed up with my BT HomeHub5. It's a pos that's flakier than a psoriasis sufferers elbows.
Budget is about £200ish. Needs to have excellent WiFi coverage and gigabit speeds. Any suggestions?
Old 12-06-2015, 18:10   #11
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

You could try a Asus RT-N66U, or its latest incarnation.

Its very powerful router.
Old 12-06-2015, 18:22   #12
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Any thoughts about the ASUS RT-AC3200?
Old 12-06-2015, 18:24   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Whatever floats your boat, if you like lots of antennas...

It's going to make no real difference in speed though as it's all marketing hype beyond AC1300.
Old 12-06-2015, 18:26   #14
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Ramrod has a golden aura

Noted.....ta
Old 12-06-2015, 18:53   #15
Carlos Carboni

I had an ASUS AC68U.

2.4 range of ASUS is slightly worse than the Superhub
5G range in some places the superhub was better but the ASUS was better in most places.

By range I mean the signal strength. My house has thick 13in walls and it is large.

Saying that, transfer speed (throughput)

Wired: on ASUS was ~10 times faster than the superhub on a copper gigabit 6a network over 100m cabling at the maximal distance (300m overall),

Wifi: on ASUS was 5-6 times faster than superhub despite weaker signal.

Tomato bricked the ASUS. Merlin speeded it up by 10%. I did not try dd-wrt.

With 23 devices connected (phones, servers, PCs, laptops, cameras etc) well the ASUS did not notice the traffic but the superhub had trouble coping as a router

I dunno .... I returned the ASUS. I was expecting better range

The interface is too friendly and too easy for my liking. I prefer technical talk