Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dynamode Router advice sought

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Dynamode Router advice sought

Old 30-11-2008, 17:02   #1
2OLD2THINK
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV Phone & Broadband
2OLD2THINK is an unknown quantity at this point
Dynamode Router advice sought

Hello folks, this is my 1st post so appologies if it is in the wrong area, I feel that the team will move it to the correct one if I'm wrong.
I have XP running a Virgin Modem from Cable.
Cable goes to Dynamode router that was the one recommended by NTL.
Cable from Router to PC.
PCMCIA wireless card in Laptop.

Had a few broblems when Virgin had a revamp in June and was told to disconnect and go direct with the ethernet cable to the PC and was given a new Primary & Secondary Address.
Tried to connect the Router up and got a connection to the internet via the PC.
Fired the laptop up with the card in and got "Signal strength 100%" but message saying "Page not available" So I cant connect via wireless.

I have had several goes at reconfiguring both devices and am now in a Pickle and have had to go back to the ethernet cable. Tried to follow previous threads on wireless but the person with a similiar problem gave up in the end.
My age goes against me for remembering things I did previously and need to write things down before I start on a mission to get back my wireless, hopefully one of you may just have the information I require.

By the way, the help desk at Virgin were unable to help as they do not support this router, one originally recommended by the NTL team years ago, is this router now designated to the scrap heap?.
I do not want to have to go down the road of purchasing a new model from Virgin when they are giving them away to new customers, any help would be gratefully appreciated by a pensioner. Thanks.
2OLD2THINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-11-2008, 17:14   #2
Joxer
Inactive

Services: 20Mb BB, phone
Joxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Joxer
Re: Dynamode Router advice sought

If it says "page nota vailable" does it have "because you are offline" afterwards? If so it may be as simple as unticking "work offline" found on either the file or tools menu - depends which version of Internet explorer it is.

If the message changes to "page cannot be displayed" then it will require further investigation.
Joxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 18:28   #3
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

As the problem does not appear to be with Virgin, I have moved this thread to the networking forum.

---------- Post added at 18:28 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

Try this:

If you are running Windows XP, click the Start button, then run, then type cmd and click OK.

If you are running Vista, click the Start button, then the box at the botton, type cmd, then click the cmd button that appears.

Now, in the box that appears, type "ping www.google.co.uk" (no quotes) and hit return. This command will send a short message to google's servers and they should respond.

Post the results here.

You should get something like
Code:
Pinging www.l.google.com [64.233.183.104] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 64.233.183.104: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=247
Reply from 64.233.183.104: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=247
Reply from 64.233.183.104: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=247
Reply from 64.233.183.104: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=247

Ping statistics for 64.233.183.104:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 30ms, Maximum = 31ms, Average = 30ms
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 18:38   #4
2OLD2THINK
Inactive

Well first of all let me say "I'm impressed" at the quick responce.

It does say "Page cannot be displayed" when I try to log on.
Thank you for moving the post to the revelevant area.
I will now try your recommendations.

just hope I can pick up the thread when logging on as there does not appear to be a "your last posts" section.
Old 30-11-2008, 18:43   #5
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2OLD2THINK View Post
Well first of all let me say "I'm impressed" at the quick responce.

It does say "Page cannot be displayed" when I try to log on.
Thank you for moving the post to the revelevant area.
I will now try your recommendations.

just hope I can pick up the thread when logging on as there does not appear to be a "your last posts" section.
If you have the email option set up, you should get an email with a link to this thread everytime someone replies.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 20:13   #6
2OLD2THINK
Inactive

Thanks, that seems to be the easy option at the moment, I have run the cmd command but you did not say on which machine, PC or Laptop so tried both, Laptop is a no go and PC gives results but cant seem to capture them and paste them, how do I do it please.

---------- Post added at 20:13 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

Settings\Hugh.DeeVill\My Documents\ping.doc"
Old 30-11-2008, 20:17   #7
Sir John Luke
Inactive

Sir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful one

'Go advanced'. Scroll down to 'Attach files'. Click 'Manage attachments'
Sir John Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 21:10   #8
2OLD2THINK
Inactive

Here is my attempt at a ping copy. never having done this before in this complicated Engine I hope it shows.
Old 02-12-2008, 15:13   #9
2OLD2THINK
Inactive

OK....In desperation and no replies I decided on a radical move and it worked, so here it is for anyone else that has this problem.

Reset router by pressing in the reset hole while it was active.
Eth cable from Modem to router to PC
Fired up Modem then router then PC everything then got reset on Auto from Modem.(internet access)
Disconnected PCfrom Router.
Wiped all traces of Networking and Internet details from Laptop so nothing exists. Even dial-up was deleted.Plus PCMCIA card removed.
Disconnect modem disconnect router.
Connect Laptop to router,router to modem, fire up modem then router then laptop.Everything then gets reset on Auto from the modem.(internet access)
Disconnect lapto, router, modem.
Connect PC to Router.
Connect Laptop to Router.
Connect router to Modem.
Start Modem,Router PC, Laptop everything working by ethernet.
Shut all systems down.
Insert PCMIA card in laptop and fire everything up.

Laptop finds new card, card connects to router though not secure yet.
Disconnect everything again remove ethernet cable from laptop then fire all up again starting from the modem.
Wireless options found, click on mine as there are several being picked up and press "Connect".

Bingo everything works.
Hope it helps someone, a rather long drawn out set-up but it worked for me.