Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Old 07-01-2022, 23:09   #1216
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I ain't ridiculing anyone, I just think that this thread has been done to death, nothing more to add.
There is much more to debate. The legislation is currently being considered inside Parliament and, when enacted, will affect a lot of people. Many people, for various differing reasons, will find this to be a good or a bad thing.

Those who have been subject to abuse such as children or those in the protected groups, should find life online safer and less taxing on their mental health,

Scammers, paedophiles, those who obtain pleasure from mocking and insulting people because of the colour of their skin, their disability and its affects, sexual orientation etc are more likely to unhappy that their activities are to be curtailed.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2022, 23:12   #1217
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The legislation aims to protect freedom of speech, but stop the abuse of vulnerable (and other) people online, be it financial, inappropriate remarks, questions etc.
Sounds pretty incompatible to me.

Quote:
This thread in particular has provided some excellent examples of how people feel it appropriate to treat disabled people.
how so?

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

Quote:
Those who have been subject to abuse such as children or those in the protected groups, should find life online safer and less taxing on their mental health,
Doubtful

Quote:
Scammers, paedophiles, those who obtain pleasure from mocking and insulting people because of the colour of their skin, their disability and its affects, sexual orientation etc are more likely to unhappy that their activities are to be curtailed.
Doubtful
Old 07-01-2022, 23:28   #1218
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
You’re doing it again - people are disagreeing with you and your propositions, and you conflate these disagreements with the fact you are disabled.

When people on this forum disagree with my views, my default isn’t "they’re only doing it because I’m Scottish"…
These aren't my propositions, they are proposals to be put before Parliament, I merely provided input.

As previously explained, I have no problem whatsoever with those who have differing views. It's when it is done through the use of tactics like mocking, insulting, laughing at a disabled person and the inevitable affects of their various disabilities that it becomes a problem.

It's akin to mocking someone interacting verbally because they have a stutter or because they have a brain issue like dementia that affects how they process information and express themselves.

Being Scottish doesn't affect you in the same way that a disability would, though of course you could still be unlawfully discriminated against because of it.

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
You're disabled? Why didn't you tell someone.
I tell anyone who I think needs to know in order that they can contextualise this, take my disabilities into account and thus comply with the Equality Act.
Old 07-01-2022, 23:38   #1219
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
These aren't my propositions, they are proposals to be put before Parliament, I merely provided input.

As previously explained, I have no problem whatsoever with those who have differing views. It's when it is done through the use of tactics like mocking, insulting, laughing at a disabled person and the inevitable affects of their various disabilities that it becomes a problem.

It's akin to mocking someone interacting verbally because they have a stutter or because they have a brain issue like dementia that affects how they process information and express themselves.

Being Scottish doesn't affect you in the same way that a disability would, though of course you could still be unlawfully discriminated against because of it.

I tell anyone who I think needs to know in order that they can contextualise this, take my disabilities into account and thus comply with the Equality Act.
It was a joke. I think everyone on here knows 100 times over. You don't need to keep reminding everyone.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 23:44   #1220
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
laughing at a disabled person and the inevitable affects of their various disabilities that it becomes a problem.
Why can’t I laugh at a disabled person? Especially if what they’re doing or saying is funny?

Quote:
Being Scottish doesn't affect you in the same way that a disability would
Try telling that to. JFMan
Old 08-01-2022, 00:14   #1221
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Why can’t I laugh at a disabled person? Especially if what they’re doing or saying is funny?

Try telling that to. JFMan
Context is king. If a disabled person makes a joke, you aren't laughing at their disability eg the way that they walk due to an accident.

For those asking about scam adverts:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...e-scams-in-on/
Old 08-01-2022, 00:35   #1222
Blackshep
cf.addict

Blackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to all

Richard pick one it's either support this legislation or support free speech because you can't do both this legislation is a sledgehammer to free speech. Many many years ago there was a website called ventyourdemons.com thousands of members who on the vent section posted some of the most violent and hateful comments you could possibly imagine but once they had vented they were ok and went on to comment and help others in the various topic threads. it was a release until somebody came along who only read the vent section not the topics thread and complained and got the website closed down.

I had a friend who'd been wounded serving his country who used it he said it let him get rid of the bad voices in his head, 5 month's after the closure of the site he committed suicide his note read "too many voices inside I can't live like this anymore". This is the first time I've talked about this since it happened and I thought long and hard about putting it on here because I carry some guilt about it and will always have the questions of did I miss something and was there more I could have done, but it's important for you to hopefully understand that legislation is a very broad double edged sword Richard.

This legislation will automatically kill any such sites or similar sites I don't know of any myself I only knew about that particular one because it helped my friend but I'm certain they are out there as the need for them exists. Your completely wrapped up in your personal world Richard and project your issues onto others and because you struggle to deal with certain aspects you want the law to come in and sort it out for you.

As I've said this legislation will absolutely not have the consequences you think it will and in a year or two when that becomes clear to you you'll want more legislation and more penalties because that's the route you've chosen. I and many many others prefer to face all interaction in all it's forms and learn to deal with things we don't like or understand it's a far more constructive approach then hoping on legislation from a bunch of people who have long lost the connection to ordinary people.
Blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 01:24   #1223
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
For those asking about scam adverts:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...e-scams-in-on/
That doesnt cover your assertion that "popular commercial sites take money from known fraudsters to advertise on their platform".

Which popular commercial sites are [knowingly] taking money from known fraudsters ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 01:35   #1224
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Generally speaking, we don't have complete freedom of speech in this country, or anywhere else that I know of and never have had for centuries. We can, however, be considered to have freedom of speech though when compared to places like Russia.

This is not a binary issue between allowing people to publically say whatever they want and disallowing them from saying anything. Like most things, a compromise is the better of the two. We had this for years and it worked pretty well until the internet came along and changed things.

It soon emerged that some would be intent on using it to upset and harm others, even those less fortunate than themselves, for their own personal pleasure. It should be noted at this point that some people who make inappropriate remarks aren't able to help it because, for example, they have a learning disability like aspergers (a form of autism) that affects their social skills and ability to express themselves appropriately.

The correct course of action with these people would be to talk them through why what they are doing/saying is wrong and the affects that their behaviour has on other people and to only use lawful recourse as a last resort. Others can help by not goading or encouraging their behaviour.

The first general approach to the issue was for site owners to police their users themselves through the routes of rules and moderation. The problems persisted and site owners were then asked to comply with a voluntary code of practice; unfortunately, this failed too, so it has been felt necessary to bring in legislation to deal with the various issues.

We are actually seeing some benefits already with some sites reviewing their rules and improving moderation, either through increased numbers, retraining or some receiving training for the very first time. It's a shame that this couldn't have been done voluntarily without the need for legislation, but it is what it is.

A site similar to what you suggest was tried a few years ago, but eventually had to close, even under the voluntary code of practice era, because it became so bad that the suppliers that facilitated their presence on the internet found it to be too intolerable and pulled the plug.

Those who wish to air and discuss views that most of society find unacceptable can, and will remain, able to do so in the privacy of eirher their own home or that of a sympathiser. This ensures that people ultimately have the right to a complete freedom of speech (providing that this is nothing unlawful, like conspiracy to carry out a crime), whilst not subjecting others to their remarks.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:51   #1225
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Nice copy & paste.

Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 01:55   #1226
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Quote:
You’re doing it again - people are disagreeing with you and your propositions, and you conflate these disagreements with the fact you are disabled.

When people on this forum disagree with my views, my default isn’t "they’re only doing it because I’m Scottish"…

Richard, you misunderstand me - I wasn’t talking about the Government proposals, I was meaning when you said
Quote:
This thread in particular has provided some excellent examples of how people feel it appropriate to treat disabled people.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:09   #1227
Blackshep
cf.addict

Blackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to all

I'm done there is just no penetrating the bubble.
Blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 03:37   #1228
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Nice copy & paste.

What are you talking about?

---------- Post added at 02:32 ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 ----------

Quote:
Richard, you misunderstand me - I wasn’t talking about the Government proposals, I was meaning when you said
My second paragraph was a response to that.

---------- Post added at 02:37 ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshep View Post
I'm done there is just no penetrating the bubble.
That's a shame as you put your alternative viewpoint across very eloquently and didn't resort to puerile remarks, rudeness etc when doing so.

We can debate with others but, unfortunately, won't always be able to change another person's view, that's not to say that it still isn't useful and interesting to do so.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:26   #1229
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
What are you talking about?

---------- Post added at 02:32 ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 ----------

My second paragraph was a response to that.

---------- Post added at 02:37 ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 ----------

That's a shame as you put your alternative viewpoint across very eloquently and didn't resort to puerile remarks, rudeness etc when doing so.

We can debate with others but, unfortunately, won't always be able to change another person's view, that's not to say that it still isn't useful and interesting to do so.
You said
Quote:
Once again, you conflate people disagreeing with your propositions/views/ideas with (sometimes in a mocking manner) with them mocking your disability - people responding to your posts treat you no differently (imho) than any other posters they disagree with; some posters are courteous, some are funny, some are sarcastic, and some are quite blunt - these responses are not aimed at your disability, but at your posts.

You seem to have a blind spot about criticism, assuming that any disagreement/negative comments must be personal, when in fact, you are being treated exactly the same as any other poster on CF.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 12:02   #1230
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
You said

Once again, you conflate people disagreeing with your propositions/views/ideas with (sometimes in a mocking manner) with them mocking your disability - people responding to your posts treat you no differently (imho) than any other posters they disagree with; some posters are courteous, some are funny, some are sarcastic, and some are quite blunt - these responses are not aimed at your disability, but at your posts.

You seem to have a blind spot about criticism, assuming that any disagreement/negative comments must be personal, when in fact, you are being treated exactly the same as any other poster on CF.
What Hugh said, you could try reading it with a Scottish accent and it might make more sense .
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote