Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | mj Quinn bt openreach engineers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

mj Quinn bt openreach engineers

Old 21-02-2013, 16:38   #76
Taffy58
Inactive

Taffy58 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: mj Quinn bt openreach engineers

Lot of info on the F & Q sheet. Here is some of it.

Managed Install: Induction MONDAY following completion of training;

Deployment TUESDAY.
Do I get paid for accreditation/training?

Yes – you will receive £50 per day to be paid as per your payment terms on receipt of an invoice.

Do I get paid for the induction/collection of the vehicle and tooling?

No – although you will receive a full tank of diesel when you leave the yard which is payable when you leave contract/return your vehicle

If I need to travel the night before induction to enable me to be at an early morning induction do I get my hotel paid for?

You can claim up to £25.00 on proof of a hotel receipt. A photocopy will be taken of the receipt on the induction day

Where will I be working?

The contract is a nationwide contract although where possible and in most cases our planning department will try to keep engineers working as close to home as possible

Do I get paid holidays?

You will have to check with your agency on this - ( I checked and the answer i got was NO )

Do I get charged for the tools?

Tooling is supplied by MJ Quinn, however loss or damage is recharged for the replacement item (full details are provided in the contract for services and also when you are issued your tools)

Do I have to supply my own phone/pay the tablet phone bill?

We will issue you with a tablet which will give you the ability to receive your jobs and make business related calls. As a number of items are included in the standing charge, monthly usage is capped at £25 per user. Anything above and beyond this will be recharged and deducted from your next invoice. You will be advised of this before this is done.

---------- Post added at 16:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:33 ----------

Do I get charged for the van?

We hire the vehicle to you without charge. This does assume however that you will be available to work for us and fulfil the jobs you are allocated. If you are unable to do this without having authorisation for your absence, we reserve the right to charge a hire fee. Details of this are provided when you collect your vehicle.

We will cover the cost of the vehicle, insurance and general servicing and maintenance. We follow the BVRLA guidelines in terms of wear and tear and therefore repairs (excluding general maintenance/wear and tear) are recharged. You will be advised of the details and given all information regarding this prior to any deduction being made. Where you are involved in an incident requiring a claim through the insurance, so long as you have followed the process properly, your liability will be limited to the excess. Where our insurers are able to pursue a third party where the incident is not your fault, you will of course not be charged.

In addition, where a fine or parking ticket is incurred on the vehicle, this will be charged to you. If you are required to work in a congestion charge area, unless advised expressly otherwise, M J Quinn will organise and be responsible for this.

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

Do I get a fuel Card?

No – your fuel is built into the job price.

Who am I employed by?

All M J Quinn field labour is contracted via one of our agency partners. Your legal status is self employed, however generally the agency will establish you with an umbrella company to ensure that you do not need to worry about registering with HMRC as self employed.

Additionally, you will be provided with a contract for services by M J Quinn at your induction.
Taffy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-02-2013, 17:31   #77
jaffan
Inactive

jaffan is an unknown quantity at this point

can we work on saturdays and how will be the work i mean will it will be hours for one job or easy to do 5 jobs a day
jaffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 17:45   #78
G Telf
Inactive

G Telf is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy58 View Post
Hi all. I was booked in for the training, but pulled out. I got a few answers from the agency. Firstly you don't get a fuel card. You pay for your own fuel, its priced into the job. You are self employed, but umbrella company sort out the tax and n.i . All travelling expenses are covered by yourself. ( travel to coventry & liverpool ). The van is on hire to you, so if your off any days sick, it looks like you gotta pay for the hire of the van on those days. Insurance etc is covered through company, but you are liable for general wear & tear. The van comes with a full tank when picked up in liverpool, but gotta be given back with a full tank. It's a lot of out of pocket expenses before you even earn a wage, hence its no good for me.
Surely being self employed means that your daily fuel use is claimed back on your expenses
G Telf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 17:57   #79
gman3631
Inactive

gman3631 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there guys

Im from an aerial and sat background just came across a job on various websites advertising for engineers working for mj quinn down south.
ive applied various times over the last week but heard nothing back.
just wondered how long it takes for them to get back to you, if they do?
ive looked online and they dont seem a bad company to work for, anyone enlighten me on that as i hope there not like kellys as ive only heard bad things about them.

many thanks
gman3631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 19:05   #80
Gateshead
Inactive

Gateshead is an unknown quantity at this point

gman depends who you contacted. I contacted mj then was contacted by insite. they booked me on the course set an induction date etc. then today i get an email from mj saying they cant confirm any dates until they recieve my crb, driving license form and training agreement.

WHAT A CLUSTER ****, IVE BOOKED MY ACCOM AND TRAIN TO LIVERPOOL TOO!!!!
Gateshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 19:42   #81
Rjkr4
Inactive

Rjkr4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gman - yeh I'm the same mate for down south. They said something about waiting to finalise the contract whatever that means. Sent emails and phoned them, still same answer!! Just gotta sit tight i suppose
Rjkr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 08:58   #82
jaffan
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Telf View Post
Surely being self employed means that your daily fuel use is claimed back on your expenses
Does any one from south got training dates
Old 22-02-2013, 12:28   #83
G Telf
Inactive

G Telf is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok i'm getting a little worried that this isnt going to be whats its cracked up too be....

I signed up to the openreach engineers forum and the guys who are doing the same work recon you'll probably manage 4 jobs per day max

http://openreachengineer.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=983
G Telf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 22:10   #84
woody201059
Inactive

woody201059 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gateshead I did the same minute contacted insite from the go them yesterday I got an email from quinns with regard to they need to do crb check work history and dvla check even before I get offered the course dates even though insite as booked me on the course
woody201059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 22:45   #85
Gateshead
Inactive

Gateshead is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you contact insite asking why you need to send forms before confirming course dates as you have booked transport and accommodate based on their instructions? Now we're out of pocket if dates change
Gateshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 22:50   #86
woody201059
Inactive

ive sent emails but had no response from them of has yet but i will be getting on to them first thing monday morning about it as its all bull**** now ive done the same as you ive booked my b&b and that aswell
Old 23-02-2013, 08:30   #87
Scubaboy
Inactive

Scubaboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Beware i was given dates for training and a date to go to liverpool then all got cancelled.They wont give you your b+b money back
Scubaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 11:09   #88
woody201059
Inactive

i think that is whats going to happen with me too be fair its stupid how you get dates ect through then you have to undergo a crb ect before your dates get confirmed they are doing it the wrong way they should do the crb ect before you even get any dates at all ive lost out on about 200 quid if my dates gets cancelled
Old 23-02-2013, 11:52   #89
jaffan
Inactive

can we drive van with car licence
Old 23-02-2013, 12:02   #90
woody201059
Inactive

Yeah mate you can drive upto 3.5ton with a car licence or anything as bis a merc sprinter