Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Britain outside the EU

Old 28-05-2023, 19:51   #5131
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Britain outside the EU

Well Tenerife is not part of the EU. So their customs regime could well be different.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-05-2023, 20:07   #5132
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Well Tenerife is not part of the EU. So their customs regime could well be different.
I think that it is part of the EU with a special tax status.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 20:13   #5133
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

In my experience at some airports since last summer is UK flights are arriving into different areas within terminals from intra-EU flights. The staffing requirements will likely vary depending on what’s coming in.

In Majorca last year they put non-EU into the gates and EU to the desks, despite the signage being the opposite. The theory being there was more non-EU passengers on the flights arriving and it’d be quicker. (I agree with Paul though the gates are trash, I try where possible to ask to use the desks upon return to the UK).
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 20:15   #5134
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Yes it is. It is an autonomous territory of Spain and is one of the EU’s ‘Outermost Territories’. It has certain rights to derogate from aspects of EU law but it is nonetheless part of the EU.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 20:28   #5135
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I think that it is part of the EU with a special tax status.
Tell UK Customs that. They told me catagorically that Tenerife was not part of the EU. I will accept things may have changed since then since the early 2000's
Old 28-05-2023, 20:43   #5136
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The EU’s ‘Outermost Regions’:

https://ec.europa.eu/regional_policy...ost-regions_en
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 21:46   #5137
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I’m in Tenerife, arrived yesterday. There was no separate EU/ Non EU. There was an adult and family queues.

The auto machines weren’t working and we just bypassed them straight to the customs guys. Took us all of 15min to get through.
That might be because EU Citizens don’t need to show ID (except for the non-Schengen countries).

https://www.tfsairport.com/airport/a...ents-tenerife/

Quote:
Tenerife Entry Requirements for Citizens of Schengen EU countries

Passport / ID Card

EU citizens who are travelling within the Schengen area are not usually required to show a passport or national identity card for travel. However, you will still need to bring one of these documents with you, as foreigners who are on Spanish territory are obligated to carry valid proof of identity with them.

Visa

Due to the freedom of movement agreement within the EU, no visa is required.

This currently applies to the following countries

Germany, Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Denmark, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Sweden, Switzerland
Quote:
Tenerife Entry Requirements for Citizens of Non-Schengen EU countries
Passport

A valid passport or national identity card is required for entry.

Visa

Due to the freedom of movement agreement within the EU, a visa is not required.

This currently applies to the following countries

Bulgaria, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania
Quote:
Tenerife Entry Requirements for Citizens of Non-EU / Non-Schengen countries

Since the end of the Brexit transition period on 31/12/2020, this includes the UK.

Passport

You will need a passport to be able to travel to Tenerife. It is important to check the age and expiry date to ensure that it is valid for travel. Your passport has to meet two criteria:
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 21:49   #5138
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Talking Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The EU’s ‘Outermost Regions’:

https://ec.europa.eu/regional_policy...ost-regions_en
Unfotunately it may be too long ago to sue for being kept in the cells for over 6 hrs.

I was handed a self delivered letter stating there was no case to answer 11 months 28 days later.

The only good thing was the custody Sergeant, she was drop dead gorgeous.

I remember them saying I could have anyone sit in on the innterview but it is not true. I asked for the custody Sergeant and was told it was not possible/allowed.

So much for having anyone of yout choice.

End of reminiscing, I've grown up since then. I still remember that custody sergeant though...
Old 29-05-2023, 00:43   #5139
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
That might be because EU Citizens don’t need to show ID (except for the non-Schengen countries).

https://www.tfsairport.com/airport/a...ents-tenerife/
Hey, who knows.

All I can say is, I travel a fair amount……> 6 times a year……

And as I have mentioned previously, I have not encountered any delays or less than preferential/ equal treatment at any European airport just because I have a U.K. passport.

I appreciate it is my own anecdotal experience, but there it is.
Old 29-05-2023, 06:41   #5140
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

You should go to Cologne/Bonn. Non-EU arrivals taking longer, once the EU arrivals off my flight had been cleared they told us we could use those desks too. Questioned on purpose of visit, where staying etc.

On the way back the two UK flights both flew from the very last gate (82) of the most remote terminal despite there being about 4 departures all evening from terminal C.

Riga airport asking for proof of a hotel reservation and purpose of visit when I was there at Christmas.

Fuerteventura had all their Jet2 arrivals queuing to go through two desks but basically waved through once you got there.

I can’t remember anything out of the ordinary from Budapest or Berlin, but anecdotally a mixed bag.

Last edited by jfman; 29-05-2023 at 06:48.
Old 29-05-2023, 08:21   #5141
noel43
cf.addict

Services: Tivo. XL (tv) L (bb)
noel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Only because they are getting £5,000,000.
noel43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 09:43   #5142
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel43 View Post
Only because they are getting £5,000,000.
That isn't really relevant. All countries offer incentives to attract business.
Old 29-05-2023, 09:52   #5143
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
You should go to Cologne/Bonn. Non-EU arrivals taking longer, once the EU arrivals off my flight had been cleared they told us we could use those desks too. Questioned on purpose of visit, where staying etc.

On the way back the two UK flights both flew from the very last gate (82) of the most remote terminal despite there being about 4 departures all evening from terminal C.

Riga airport asking for proof of a hotel reservation and purpose of visit when I was there at Christmas.

Fuerteventura had all their Jet2 arrivals queuing to go through two desks but basically waved through once you got there.

I can’t remember anything out of the ordinary from Budapest or Berlin, but anecdotally a mixed bag.
I think it goes to shows that it’s variable.

We had four trips away last year (none this year so far because of poorly doggie) - Larnaca twice (for TRNC), where the first time it was separate queues, second time because the U.K. queue was so big compared to the EU queue they just moved Brits to the EU queue, Dubrovnik when the EU queue had gone they just let the Brits use the EU booths, and Faro they let everyone use any queues.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 29-05-2023 at 09:57.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2023, 09:52   #5144
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
How can a reported half a billion quid of subsidies be not relevant?

If it wasn’t relevant to the decision making surely it’s a waste of taxpayers money? That said, it’s the Tories perhaps we should find out which members of the House of Lords, pub landlords or husbands/wives of Tory MPs will be trousering it.
Old 29-05-2023, 11:44   #5145
noel43
cf.addict

Services: Tivo. XL (tv) L (bb)
noel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the roughnoel43 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Same company (TATA) steel company wanted same amount to save steel on Teesside was not forthcomng. Maybe it was because it was up NORTH not down SOUTH.
noel43 is online now   Reply With Quote